2nd Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, Not too bad a week all in all. Happy to report the UTI hasn't returned and its almost 2 weeks since I finished my week long course of antibiotics.

Monday was good. I was out at a coffee shop with my friend. No discomfort.

By Tuesday pm I was getting a bit of discomfort. But it had eased by Wednesday morning.

Wednesday lunchtime I was applying more Hydromol and must have slightly scratched myself without realising because I had some soreness for a few hours after. It eventually died down though and ive been OK since. Just had slight feelings of wanting to wee all the time but nothing bad like I've known in the last year.

I am still taking this all a day at a time. I was in a lot of pain with "AV" for a long time and a lot of discomfort with wanting to wee all the time too. And the recent UTI wasn't good either.

But it does seem to have calmed down a bit. I know I am taking it one day at a time but I am living in hope too.

1 like, 142 replies

142 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley , great news indeed ! 

I am nearing completion of my weeks course of antibiotics  , I am feeling slightly better , but will feel happier dropping a urine sample into my docs to confirm my infection has cleared . I am getting occasional urethral pain , so have restarted Ovisten , which I initially had to abandon due to extreme stinging . I am applying externally again , and hoping that now my urine is less acidic it won't be as bad .

As you said , Shirley it's one day at a time 

Xxxxx

• Posted

So glad to hear of better times Shirley. You are proof that there is hope. Blessings to you,
  • Posted

Shirley, this has to be GOOD.  I can see that you're still worried about being too sure this is the answer, but it certainly HAS to be encouraging.  I hope those feelings of wanting to wee wane by the day.  Do keep us updated and thank you for letting us know so far.  I was thinking about you this morning!:-)))))
  • Posted

Excellent news! Were you going to try the D Mannose if the symptoms seemed to be coming back...or have I confused ladies? Everything I've read about it is certainly encouraging. Because it stops the bacteria from sticking it is washed out with the urine. It's been used for 20 years and is even given to children. Did you ask your doc about taking it as a preventative if the sypmtoms were returning? "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", especially when antibiotics can cause other problems by killing off good bacteria along with the bad.
  • Posted

Hi Jools, Pat, Chris, Beverly, Sus and Lee, Thank you for your kind messages.

Jools, Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed your sample will confirm your infection has gone. I'm just wondering if I should start on the Ovestin too.

Sorry Pat, Just had a bit of a worse day today sad

Chris, Thank you for thinking of me this morning. Had a bit of a blip this afternoon sad

Hi Beverly, Yes I was going to use the D Mannose if I felt the UTI returning. So far I've not needed it. I've got a doctors appointment on Thursday so I will talk things through with her then.

Thanks Sus and Lee.

I've not had a good afternoon though :-( Soreness, but not the worst I've ever had I admit, and that wanting to wee all the time too. We (Hubby me and son) were at a garden centre about 10 miles away. I had to grin and bear it so not a great afternoon VA wise. It is making me wonder if I should use the Ovestin too but I'm scared of the side effects. Having said that, this may just be an "Off" day or afternoon. At least I'm seeing the Doc on Thursday and I may feel a bit better again by tomorrow.

• Posted

Shirley it is all encouraging, but you're not quite 'there' yet, are you.  I wonder what would just take you to that point if your current regime isn't.  I'm frustrated for you - is it your GP you're seeing all the time, or have you seen a consultant?  (I'm sorry if you've already told us this and I've lost the plot!).  I'm thinking, if it's just the GP then you should ask for a referral.  You really have tried SO hard and tried so many things to get this sorted and if that's just not quite doing it, maybe a consultant can help.  You deserve to have this sorted out!
    • Posted

Hi Chris, No, not quite there yet . I've been seeing my gp all the time. I did suggest seeing a Urologist a while back and she said that to do that, I would have to book a double appointment and she would do a full internal examination. Trouble is with a new hip and my other hip being bad, I wasn't able to get into the right position to allow the full examination and I don't think I could now either. Unless there is another way to be referred and not have a full internal? Yes I've tried all sorts. I'm sat here now and I'm still sore up inside. I hope I can sleep OK tonight with this. I had a rough night last night (Not with the V A) and I don't want another. So yes I'm frustrated too, especially after just saying this morning how well things were going. I knew not to trust that all was well just yet though. Thank you for helping Chris. How are you doing? This really is no joke is it? Hope you are doing OK.
    • Posted

Shirley, I'm not a doctor but I know they're trying to reduce referrals.  I can't think why she needs you to get into a position that's really uncomfortable for you to examine you.  This just doesn't seem right to me - she's been giving you all these antibiotics for so long, so that in itself must show there's a problem that hasn't been sorted out.  I can't see why she even needs to examine you at all, because all those antibiotics signify something is wrong.  If there wasn't anything wrong all this time how can she justify the antibiotics, course after course.  I think you're going to have to be more pushy.  Is there another GP available to see?   I don't know your situation, but I think if it were me and there's a long waiting list for the NHS I'd ask to be referred somewhere privately.  I THINK this is likely to cost around £200 - £350 but if you can find somewhere that looks good you can phone and ask how much they'd charge.  This is what we did.  And a one off consultation might be all you need!  But if you don't want to pay to go privately then I really think she should be referring you ASAP.  You shouldn't have to be going through this.  You've done everything you could to try and sort it yourself but sometimes an expert is needed, and your GP doesn't seem to be able to fill that slot.  I'm absolutely fine thanks - SO delighted with the pessary, and now using water based lubricant with it which is working fine (the gynie said to try that).  I hadn't realised how the bladder and bowel were affected with the prolapse until I had a pessary back and it's a huge relief.  Do keep in touch, and I hope your GP will refer you - you need that expert help now, I think.
    • Posted

Shirley, if you had a bad night, but "not with the VA" what is sore? If you feel it isn't the UTI returning is it something else? This has got to be making you very anxious and stress makes everything worse. This may sound silly, but could you get a reflexology or acupressure appointment that would help you to relax? Watch a funny movie if nothing else. You have to "lighten your load" and focus on something else for your mental & physical health. Is your husband sypathetic to your situation?
    • Posted

Sounds like good advice. It's awful to have a doctor who doesn't fully understand what is wrong or doesn't go the extra mile to solve your problem. My last GP was the extra mile type. He had scleroderma which I think made him more sensitive to people's problems. (Unfortunately he left which makes me wonder about what's happening at the facility. My new one is very flip.) I too wondered why Shirley's Dr. would say a full exam would be required when she knows the discomfort would make it impossible.
    • Posted

I think antibiotics can create,a cycle of repeat infections because not only do they wipe out the bad but also the good.Have you tryed probiotics while on the antibiotics..i have irritation tonight..uretha just from the VA..i think i really better try HRT or I will just get worse.
    • Posted

Yes Lee I take probiotics all the time. We have got to put the good bacteria back.
  • Posted

Hi Chris and Beverly, Thanks for your messages. This is just to say I will be back here tomorrow. I am just off to bed now. I'm hoping I will sleep alright. I will reply properly tomorrow. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.