BMB scheduled, what to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

First hematology appointment today. PV diagnosis given (no surprise) following jak 2 positive mutation test and elevated WBC, RBC, hemoglobin and hematocrit. Platelets still within range at 313. Bone marrow biopsy scheduled for Feb 25th to confirm diagnosis, check for fibrosis and establish baseline. For those who have had a BMB, was it very painful? What was your recovery time like?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi lashigirl,

You will likely get a wide range of answers on this. I had a BMB in late 2017 after diagnosis and I found it to be rather painless. The doctor numbed the area and then did the work in about 10-15 minutes. I felt something, but I wouldn't call it pain. There was a burning feeling. I went back to work for the rest of the day. I was maybe a little sore for a day, but really only as if I had a small scrape with a bandaid on it.

The idea of it was a lot worse than the actual event. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.