Citalopram upped to 30mg day 6 .

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have posted many times over the last year regarding citalopram . I settled on 20mg for a while then anxiety came back , knotted stomach and lots of stomach pain . spoke to GP on phone and one doc recommended upping to 40mg . It was awful , Went back to G.P who upped me to 30mg . I've been taking it for 6 days , my legs are tingly and weak and my head has become foggy again , any advise would be appreciated , Thankyou xx

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Gary

I feel for you. You are definitely getting the additional side effects which I got on increasing the dose. You should find these side effects will lessen in intensity and disappear over the next week or so. The head fog can be horrendous, I took diazepam for a short time each time I increased and it really helped. dont worry about how many times you post. This is a dreadful illness and we are all here to lean on each other.

God bless and keep posting! Xx

• Posted

I got tingles which kind of felt like fluttering under my skin. Other times i got a twitching feeling beneath the skin....thought i was going to morph into some strange insect lol! Don't worry they will pass soon xx
  • Posted

Would say it's just side effects on upping the dose. Keep going, it will ease
    • Posted

Thank you, I didn't expect these side effects so bad .
  • Posted

Gary,

I just increased my dose this week and I forgot a about the symptoms. I hate the foggy head and get funny sensation in my feet. I think we forget when we get well how bad the side effects can be. Keep going remember it's that time of the year when everyone is stressed and there is much kindness going on in the world. Be kind to yourself first and take care you get through it.

• Posted

I went from 20 to 30 last year, now am goong to start on 40 tomorrow. My doctor suggested I ease into 40, doing 30 one day, then 40 next day, etc. has anybody else done it gradually like this?
    • Posted

Hi Jen

This time last year I was on 40mg but then I found I was a zombie so I went back to 30 which I felt that was my best dose. However I was able to work on myself and used a hypotheparist who was awesome. At the moment I am on 10mg so I am just going to see how that it.

• Posted

Hi jen

I went straight from 30 to 40 this was the only increase that didn't give me side effects. Perhaps your doctor thinks easing you onto the 40 is beneficial. How long have you been advertised to do this for, before having 40 daily?

I know this happens but surely the sooner it balances in your system. ..The better it is for you.

Please let me know how you get on xx

god bless

• Posted

My anxiety is worse right now than it has ever been, so I want to try 40 and switch meds if that doesn't work. 30 seems to be doing nothing for me right now. I'll try the gradual for about a week and see how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi jen

unfortunately it didn't work for me. Once i went up to 40 I was desperate! In the last three weeks I have been on mirtazipine. It's been a life saver...I felt so much better after just one tablet! No side effects and wished I hadn't waited six months on citalopram. If you don't get the results you need please don't hang on suffering. It may be time to then have a meds review with your doctor xx wishing you a successful recovery on the 40mg xxx

• Posted

Just took day 7 of 30mg so I guess it's early days and anxiety can go up before down , I guess it can take a while for side effects to settle down , I hate this tingling and shakyness never mind the foggy head , frustrating but hoping it settles soon
    • Posted

Good missing Gary

The additional side effects will definitely become less intense and shortly disappear.

anxiety can rocket (hence that's why diazepam was my lifesaver) but it will come down. It feels like forever when you are waiting. ..but your wait is nearly over.

god bless xx

• Posted

Lorraine and Gary,

Totally agree my anxiety is so bad in the morning and before I went on citalopram I didn't have anixety so I know the beds certainly bring it on.

• Posted

The tingling is awful , is it a usual side effect ? Like shivery ? Ants all over me ! Thanks

• Posted

Hi Gary

I didn't experience your symptoms to that degree. Mine came and went periodically. I think you should give your gp a call as this could be (shivering in particular) a sign of serotonin syndrome eg dose too high.

It may be just settling in side effects but if it was me i would definitely get a medical viewpoint xxx let me know how you are getting on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.