Could it be relux after all...

Posted , 9 users are following.

for the last year ive had a lump in my throat, had it checked with the ENT and they said probably silent reflux or anxiety.  i seem to alternate between either a lump in the throat, or a horrible taste that last for ages at a time.  recently i thought i had oral thrush, my mouth just felt horrible, white tongue and a burning sensation in the tongue and throat.  oral thrush treatment didnt help.  out of desperation i tried a gaviscon tablet, i have a history of reflux, but i cant say i feel the typical burn feeling that often.  the gaviscon tablet really did take the bad taste away very quickly!!  looks like ill be revisiting the doc and see if something better can be done. just didnt imagine silent reflux could make my mouth taste so bad!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have silent and acid reflux but I have more

Silent symptoms and they are exactly what you are describing.

• Posted

Thanks Karen, sorry that you do! What do.you do to.help the endless horrible taste?? It drives me.crazy at times!
    • Posted

I chew endless amts of gum. It helps keep the burn and sour taste away. If I don't have it on hand I'm miserable.
    • Posted

What I find aggravating too is either my mouth feels fine and I've got the throat lump, or I have no lump but have the horrible taste. It's soooo aggravating!
    • Posted

The only time I was 100% better was when I was on a PPI.
  • Posted

Hi

​I have GERD and 'minimal' Barretts so was told to stop ppi and all other meds I was taking..I was also diagnosed with sjogren's Syndrome ( and had Pityriasis Rosea for 4 months) as my sjogren's got better I took myself off the med. I have bad breath  very frequently and burning tongue all the time...All mouth washes burn my tongue unbearbly to the point that many times I have to just spit out the mouthwash. I occassionally still take Gaviscon Advance liquid at night but it doesnt make a differernce to breath or tongue

Are both (bad breath and burning tongue ) these related to reflux?

• Posted

As far as I'm aware they sure can be yes if you think about what acid in your stomach does to your food its no surprise what it can do to our poor throat and tongue!
    • Posted

I did mention this to the gastroenterlogist and the rheumatologist and only comment came from the rheum who..'maybe nerve damage and we clould do more blood tests' whenever he asks for bloods it's never less than 4 vials at a time...once went up to 10...and to my embarssement i fainted 5 mins later..the next time i went ( only for 4 vials ) he seriously asked if i was going to pass out again..my was reply was ..it's only 4 this time
    • Posted

Interesting that nerve damage is mentioned I have nerve damage in my leg from a prolapsed disc, and all this started at that time. Not sure how nerve damage in my leg. could be linked though
    • Posted

Vagus nerve is one of the longest in the body and it looks after most of your vitals (digestion, heart, lungs etc). A lot of people get prescribed amitriptyline for reflux as it calms the nerve which in turn settles the digestion
    • Posted

Bad breath is my most concerning problem as its destroyed my social life, 22 years now. If I had to choose between getting rid of the bad breath or the pains, I'd choose to fix my breath issues.

After 22 years of trying to get rid of it I can tell you that mouth washes and mints do nothing to help, and can often make it worse.

Although currently I am using one brand of mouth wash not becuase its stop my bad breath (it doesn't) but because it seems to help stop the burning in my throat.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Just wanted to add I had the same thing re the tongue and throat.  It turns out I was allergic to my toothpaste.  You might want to see if that is the cause.  I also have GERD.

lynda

• Posted

I don't at the moment.  Need to ask my dentist.  Using baking powder.
  • Posted

If you find the website DownWithAcid org uk and scrill down the contents list to Extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly refered to as "LPR" or "silent reflux"), you will find the results of a survey conducted last year of the 14 most frequently reported symproms of extra-oesophageal reflux.

The lump in th ethroat (globus) was reported by 50% of the 100 ppeople surveyed.

And the bad taste was higher putting it as 5th most reported symptom.

Reflux doesn't need to be acidic and acid suppressant medication does little to reduce reflux. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.