Crohns

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have had crohns for about 8 years  but only been diagnosed for about 2 years and have been on Humira for about a 1 1/2 years.  I have a horrible pain on my on my left side and nobody can seem to figure out what it is.  It can go from debilitating pain ,to just a dull pain depending on the day and moment.  Has anyone else had this issue and what did you about it

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I haven't been diagnosed yet... I have the same pain. 3ct scans, MRI, abdominal ultrasound... I have constant liquid, unformed stool, once a day in the morning. The pain on left I was told is spasms in the left part of the colon. Many people have this issue. For me it's horrible!!!! It's a dull ache, debilitating... Drove me to depression!!! Colonoscopy coming up.
    • Posted

I have EXACTLY the same as you are describing Ivana  but my pain is also in the top of abdomen and i have not been diagnosed yet, Iam having a colonoscopy in the morning to see what is going on.  Does your pain come and go or is it constant? and do tablets take the pain away or not?
    • Posted

Jackie I haven't tried pain meds... The pain is there often, I don't even think about it anymore... Lol. I don't find it to be related to diet. Have you had your blood tests done? Mine are perfect and to be honest, I am going with bile acid diarrhea...can you please update us? Good luck tomorrow!!!!!
    • Posted

I will let you know Ivana, I am just doing the prep stuff for colonoscopie now, its not the nicest but not too bad either so i expect to be living in my toilet all night!  Take care x
  • Posted

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this pain.  I have had 2 colonoscopies  and MRI, multiple ct scans  ultrasound, other scans. My pain is directly in line with my belly button and also wraps around to my back..  I am on narcotics because with crohns you can't take any NSAIDs.  I was wondering if any one who had this pain had been diagnosed, I am almost to the point that I want to ask my gyn for a hysterectomy just to see if it will help.
    • Posted

Why hysterectomy?! It's your colon... Please just be positive, I am going through the same thing except I haven't had the colonoscopy hence not sure whether I have crohns (would that show up on CT)?
    • Posted

I was just at the doctors today for the pain under left breast and ribs. She thinks it is costochondritis, prescribed me steroids. When I asked if it could be my pancreas, she stated the pain would be more in line with my belly button. Might want to get it checked. 
    • Posted

I would love to believe it's my colon but every test shows nothing . Crohns can really not be diagnosed until you have a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  They tried all sorts of meds steroids everything and I didn't fit the profile for typical crohns.  They actually didn't know for sure until he gave me a capsule endoscopy  and found too many ulcers to count in my small intestine.  He started me on humira which made a huge difference, but the pain has never gone away.   The humira made it possible that I could actually function and get out of bed,  it still hasn't helped my pain in the left side my GI  has talked to Dr's At Mayo and colleagues at university of Utah. They all agree I have crohns but don't understand the constant pain.  It has been ten years I am just grasping at straws at this point.  Let me know what you find out.
    • Posted

There are soooooo many ppl with this pain... In UK, US, other European countries... I read so many forums. They told me check for sibo as well... Let me ask you, do you have diarrhea and does it come with undigested food, yellow in color? I have the same pain and when it hurts I feel as it presses on my muscles in my pelvic, etc....

I am going to try olive oil and lemon in the morning... Some ppl on forums I read say it's a great remedy. I am actually flying from US to Europe to go have this damn thing diagnosed... I am tired. 6 GIs and nothing!!!!!!! Will keep you posted.

• Posted

Yes I get severe diarrhea whenever I eat food. This started about a month and a half ago. So i I basically live on milk ice cream and other liquid s. My calorie intake is about 2300 a day. So i I shouldn't be losing weight but I have lost about 25 lbs in 2 1/2 months. I have have done the steroid thing, pentasa, Imuran, and pretty much every thing else out there. My Dr is honestly the best but be is concerned about what's going on.. any other ideas let me know. Keep me updated on what you find out.
    • Posted

Hi Ivana, update on my colonoscopy that I had this morning, it turns out that all that upper abdominal pain was an infection in my bowels and IBS too, glad its over with tbh prep was the worst, actual colonoscopy was a walk in the park, now just got to try and control IBS, also after being on the loo from 7 o clock last night and ALL through the night with the prep it flushed out my entire system and I actually felt better this morning than I have done in weeks, no pain! I seriously think it could have helped flush out the infection, been given a really strong course of antibiotics, hopefully you will get to the cause of yours, if you do have to have colonoscopy and want to ask any questions I will be happy to help you.
    • Posted

I am so happy that you found out what was really going on. These best part is that it seems like a pretty easy treatment. You are very lucky. Good luck with the treatment hohope it all goes well. Keep me posted how the treatment hours. I have had 2 , colonoscopies and endoscpies. Also had a capsule endoscopy. Unfortunately they could not find anything except for the definite proof I have Crohns. Good luck keep me posted how treatment goes.:-)
  • Posted

I 've been having the exact same issue for the last 5 months. Spent 6 days in agony in the hospital and still nobody can tell me whats wrong with me. I have a bulge the size of my hand just under my ribs on my left side. Been in pain everyday for 5 months now. It happened right after a Lithotripsy treatment for a kidney stone in my right kidney. I still don't know what's wrong after 2 ct scans and an mri. 
    • Posted

Totally feel your pain. It is extremely annoying and makes you feel crazy when they can't find anything. I have had all of the same tests that you have had x 4. The pain I have is directly in line with my belly button but to the left side and wraps around to my back. The only good thing is I finally gotta definitive diagnosis of Crohn s. They still can't figure out the pain and why I have it daily. My last colonoscopy from 3 weeks ago came back clean except some inflammation in my throat and stomach. Good luck let me know if they find anything or try any new tests. I am just desperate after 10 years of constant pain. Have a wonderful weekend and good luck

• Posted

Ivana was right about so many people in pain which can't be diagnosed!  Pain below ribs on each side for four years now.  Just learning to live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.