Day 20 - zero energy... Is this normal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I can't complain because everything is getting easier, and I am definitely much more comfortable than I was. My biggest problem is a complete absence of energy. I feel so deeply tired and fatigued. I had my first nights sleep last night, so why am I still not feeling like moving or doing anything? I want to play with my children, get the house organised and do productive tasks but just don't have it in me.... Is this your experience? Or should I be forcing it?

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nearly six weeks on and I am doing absolutely everything for myself and have been from day 6, except putting on my compression stockings. But the head is lethargic and doesn't want to focus on anything much. I read rubbish, look at rubbish on the TV and don't want to think about anything challenging. Possibly I've been doing too much but how much is enough? Just do what feels right for you and don't overdo it. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Can't watch any more TV without losing my sanity! Wanted to hike the mountains yesterday - could curl up happily and die today. The pathway appears to be covered in invisible trenches as we hike towards normality and good health. Every now and then it catches us out!!

Thank heavens for this sight to see us through - a guiding light with lovely companions x

• Posted

Site not sight! School girl error or vigorous iPhone predictor!
  • Posted

Hi Rose -

well, it is a roller coaster ride ... one day we want to go hike and the next one pull the blanket over our head and sulk - tears will start soon and so it goes --- 

okay, it is not that bad, but it might take some time to get everything stable again - if ever ... who knows, right ---- 

having gone and still am going through the whole gamut and knowing that it does not help to push through it or force yourself - having said this, maybe just a little effort sometimes - play cards with the kids or something or have them read you a story - nothing too physical or demanding (jump rope or play tag) - 

brain fog is normal so they can win from you eek - if you are not up to it , then don't - children are sensitive -

Don't make it too big a deal, okay .... 

It is not "just" the surgery , major at that, but also all the time before that - the pain, having to make a decision, getting organized ... well, you get the picture -

and you had a last minute cancellation on top of everything --- phew --- 

I don't think people who don;t have this experience will understand the depth of this all - I only understand but not able to put words to it either.

I know how you feel, I think - from the outside you do so well - no nasty bandages or even snot coming out of your nose (sorry) - you can see it in their eyesrolleyes-

it is tough darling - don't beat yourself up or feel guilty - 

big warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Renee - the pressure of Christmas and being sociable - it feels quite too much! But we will survive / focus on wellness being and comfort. That must be the key. How are you feeling lovely ?
  • Posted

I'd say this is perfectly normal.  My experience is that I get some good days, and some bad days - both physically and mentally, and they don't coincide with each other.

Your sleep pattern has probably been bad - I know mine is due to frequent night-time trips to the loo.  The pressure of those TED stockings just adds to your 'not your usual self' feelings.

Only people who have been through THR will understand (I am at day 52 now, and in 3 weeks time have to go through another operation to correct this one) - it is very traumatic on your body, but take it easy, cut back on the housework and cooking, and recover slowly, it all takes time for your body to readjust.

Best wishes

Graham 🚀

• Posted

HI Rose,

I too am at day 20. And I agree with you that fatigue and brain fog are the greatest challenges. Not depressed, just don't really give a fig about doing much.

I will say, in the past 48 hours I have noticed a slight uptick in energy and motivation. Hung a bow on a wreath for our front door and actually did a few laps with the fancypants walker at the gym.And, it wasn't what I did but that I wanted to try that felt hopeful. The resumption of modest goals for my day feels encouraging. (write a christmas card, take a shower)  I am actually worn out just talking to people. I don't think my cognitions are really off, but I do think my processing speed is slowed WAY down. I thought I'd be more "plucky" and gung ho but no. The body is a great teacher isn't she?

• Posted

That is it in a nutshell!!

I just don't feel myself at all by a country mile. Just cleaned the kitchen, reorganised and tidied all the cupboards - put the Xmas shopping away and literally could drop with exhaustion. Made a wreath it looks ghastly! I don't think my heart is in it. Most people know me for being so full of energy and excitement usually - I don't recognise the flat person I am today.

As you have all rightly said we have good days and bad ones, and perhaps this is a bad one I haven't recognised. I just woke up and thought not this beep beep leg again - I am so tired of the dead weight leg!! My husband looks terrible and washed out - feel terrible for him carrying all of us for so long!!! Trying my best now to help before he drops dead! Poor thing sad

• Posted

I feel much the same rose - I'm at day 16 - little energy or motivation. Or rather I like the idea of doing something, but then it all takes so much effort, my enthusiasm wanes! Sounds like you've actually been v busy today. I've made 24 mince pies and read half my book 😀😉. Going for a walk in shower at the local

Pool in a bit - we haven't got one at home. Staples came out on Friday and waterproof plaster off today - can see scar in all its glory now - aargh! I think we're hitting week 3 at the worst time - the week before Christmas! 🎄⛄️🎄⛄️ I have 7 grandchildren and I want to be playing with them. Ho hum. We're all slowly getting there I guess. X

• Posted

I can't look at my scar Abby it turns my stomach! My daughter saw it by accident and burst into tears - horrified - I felt awful. I didn't mean for the children to see it, ever. I was getting out if bed and my nightie got hitched up. I am too squeamish to look until it is better - and try not to think about it!!

I am glad I am not the only one struggling with tiredness. Christmas is just about to arrive, and we have a house full coming, and I am petrified it will be too much. I am not feeling up to sparkling conversation. Trying not to panic but just to relax and enjoy it - and let others help. Not to worry if I don't look my best or a few things are going by the way side. We can't do it all! Your grandchildren I am sure will be very pleased that you are there to enjoy the day with them. As long as we have enough energy to enjoy their new toys and lots of cuddles - that is all we need to worry about!

Tomorrow is a new day!!! smile deep breath x

• Posted

I think that being ill supresses your normal desire to do things that you normally find enjoyable.  I struggle to want to walk outside, when I used to love it - I push myself to do it because I know it is necessary to get me better.

I have little interest in Christmas this year - usually I am theone putting up the tree, lights etc - this year we have a pre-lit tree, and no extra lights.

Thank goodness my wife is managing to cope with me, and the Christmas preparations.  I do help where I can because I know it means so much to her, she always wants this 'perfect family Christmas'.

How you ladies cope with Christmas, everyday meals, housework, your husbands, and recovering from THR is beyond me.  I take off my hat to you all.  As you say, I don't see how you can do it all, and if you try you will not be helping your recovery.  Enjoy yourselves.

Love to everyone out there

Graham 🚀💃

• Posted

Tomorrow is a new day indeed!

We too have a houseful on Christmas Day - there'll be 15 altogether 😁😁😁. I'm sort of really looking forward to it / really dreading it - I guess it's a few more days to go so we might have made lots more progress by then ( ever optimistic!). I see on the Bonesmart site you can post pics of your scar! - not something I'll be doing!

Take care x

• Posted

At my physio session people were showing off their knee scars - but I declined to show my posterior THR scar !

🚀💃

• Posted

Oh my goodness perhaps we should do a scar unveiling moment for after Christmas dinner entertainment complete with synchronised Christmas songs - any suggestions welcome!!!! We can do a guess how many inches game! Expect the little ones to win, they are educated properly these days! Do you think bone smart would approve???

Seriously I am sending my X-ray on

my thank you notes this year with hippy new year ( well I thought it was funny!!! ) smile

15 for lunch is making my stomach curdle Abby - are you cooking? Or is everyone bringing a course? I hope for you the latter - the only way forward is to sit stoutly in the chair wine in hand, paper hat perched happily and let them all get on with it!!!!

• Posted

I love your rockets! A good reason not to go on bone smart. - makes me feel like heaving!
    • Posted

Ha ha rose - I'm liking your dance of the seven veils idea! " Do the hippy hippy shake" 😀

Love your xRay card idea - I must get copies of my hip - old and new.

Yes 15 I know!! They're all bringing food. We're just doing veg, cheese and biscuits, mince pies and drinks 🍷🍷🍺🍺🍴🍴🍸. Yes, not in my nature to sit quietly on a chair on occasions like that, but it will have to be that way - and sadly no wine with the blood thinners 😞

• Posted

Love the scar unveiling Rose!

Did you get copies of your X-ray? I took a pic of my pre op one off the computer when the dr left the room. The junior Dr in the hospital wouldn't let me take one post op when I asked, I'll just have to ask my consultant next time I go, or do a sneaky one!

• Posted

Good! Self service drinks and wheeling out the cheese - perfect!

I know I always dance at Christmas - and may do carefully on my crutches anyway! I can't resist a good Christmas song!!

I checked my blood thinners and mine are fine it does not say no alcohol - our medication might be different - but it is worth checking. One glass of wine won't hurt I am sure. With a little lemonade! X

• Posted

I'm on Xarelto (riveroxaban) - I think it's prob ok to have small amount of alcohol, but I might find it easier not to have any at all. I haven't had a drink for about a month as I was on antibiotics pre op. One small glass and I'd be dancing on the table I expect! Looking forward to a glass or two in 16 days when tablets finish ! 🍸🍷🍸🍷🍸🍷
    • Posted

Dear Abby - Don't think it is the anti-biotics, its the pain killers that double up or even triple up the alcohol strength. Love all my fellow hippies, but please be careful over Xmas if you are taking painkilers. please have a Happy and a very merry??? Xmas.
    • Posted

Yes definitely triple rockets - and will completely deserved x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.