Dilitazem Hydrochloride

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings and kind regards everyone 😊

my kind and patient GP has prescribed over 8 different anti hypertension medications in an effort to control my mild to moderate hypertension,

sadly I have experienced debilitating side effects to the extent that I felt healthier off the blood pressure tablets than on some of them!

sore red painful dry eyes,extreme exhaustion,itchy rash resulting in scar tissue etc.

My GP has prescribed Dilitazem (Adizem XL)120mg prolonged release.

Has anyone had taken this  Dilitazem medication?

if you have has it been ok for you.?

I can possibly handle mild side effects yet not to the point where my life is unbearable!

thanking you so  much for reading this and have a lovely spring weekend!

kind regards

kitekato🌻🌷🍃🎻🎵

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I didn't take it but my wife did. The doctor gave it to her to control a rapid heart rate and high blood pressure. She had a time with sneezing and a stopped up nose constantly. But I think it did control her blood pressure and heart rate.
  • Posted

You say "mild to moderate hypertension". I'm wondering what the exact values are. In my mid-50s my BP went up from its former 110/70 to a steady 150/90. My GP wanted to prescribe medication but I wasn't keen. Instead I put myself on magnesium, and within six months or so my BP was down to 120/80 and stayed there for the next 15 years. Unfortunately, it's started doing strange things in the last couple of years, but that's another story.

Have you thought of trying magnesium? It's not a quick fix and won't help if your BP is very high but it worked well for my mild hypertension. Magnesium is very safe - provided you observe the correct dose, of course - the only possible side-effect being diarrhoea, but not everyone suffers from this. I didn't. If you do want to try it, start with a half-dose in case it's going to upset your stomach, then increase to full dose after a week.

• Posted

kitekat, I have replied to your post on the other thread. I did take Diltiazem for a while but was switched to another pill due to side effects.  Since then, I've been switched so many times that I've lost track of which pills caused which side effects, although I know I have them written down somewhere.  If you haven't already tried it, do try Losartan Potassium as it has been the only pill so far that hasn't caused me any noticeable side effects.  However, on its own it doesn't reduce my high BP so second pills keep being added, without much luck as far as side effects are concerned!   It is often I come across someone as intolerant to BP meds as me, so it's nice to have company, in the nicest possible way of course - they say misery loves company!
    • Posted

Of course my last sentence should read "It isn't often I come across..."rolleyes

• Posted

Sorry to say I suffer terribly on bp drugs. Dilitazem causes me awful pain and exhaustion . I hope you can tolerate it. Best wishes. Steve. n
    • Posted

Steve, have you found a pill that works and that you can tolerate?  I'm still searching!
  • Posted

Dear Potacream and Lily.thankng you sincerely for your swift replies😊

i think I could handle sneezing etc,,,,,if only!

Lily my bp readings tend to be around 150-160 over 98/99 to 100..I am keen to explore your suggestion of f magnesium.When I regularly walk...I can get it to 150 over 90. 

Greetings Mrs O. Yes it great to not feel isolated with persistent reactions to these powerful medications.Lorsatan gave me sor dry eyes....that could not recover with eye lubricants! I What othe medication did you hav as an addition.

i am so pleased that you poor body can at least tolerate this Lorsatan.

Dear Steve so sorry to hear!

thats my f fear.....being exhausted as it would interfere in my ability to work,,,as I am required to deal with potential emergencies.

steve have you been able to use a medication that you can tolerate?

goodness pain as well?

• Posted

Hi kitekato,

Magnesium alone probably wouldn't be enough to significantly reduce BP at your level. However, I've heard of people getting good results by combining a full dose of magnesium with a tiny dose of prescription meds - cutting tablets in halves or quarters. Haven't tried that myself as I've always managed to avoid prescription meds till now... for reasons you'll well understand!

I hope you can find something that works for you.

• Posted

Kitekat, apart from Diltiazem, I've tried Amlodipine, and, alongside Losartan Potassium I've tried Ramipril (twice), Candesartan, Indapamide, Bisoporol (the last two causing fast reduction in my already reduced, sole kidney function), and now Doxazosin.  The side effects with most of them have been either, diarrhoea, exhaustion especially when walking, painful muscles and joints, ankle/feet swelling, and varicose eczema, the latter from which the rash on my lower legs never fully recovered, and now breathlessness and more ankle swelling and increasing weight which started with the Bisoprolol and continues with the Doxazosin.  I'm wondering what I'll be given next if I can't cope with the continued breathlessness and ankle swelling caused by the present Doxazosin.  I'm desperate to find somthing as the high blood pressure itself will further harm my kidney function.

I do so hope you will find a solution to your blood pressure, especially as you now say you have to work in an emergency situation - could that be partially the cause do you think?

• Posted

You have all been so very kind in responding to my pleas,

thank you🌷🌻🍃😊

• Posted

Hi kitekato,

I have had reactions to EVERY bp medicine I have taken.  For me, amlodipine and/or hydrchlorothiazide were the worst.  I am currently taking Propranolol.  It just gives me gas, but does not do anything to lower my pressure.  Recently, after adding apple cider vinegar pills to my routine, it suddenly went from 210/ 106 to 161/90.  That is huge for me, since it has been very high with no relief for about three months now.

I have hyperthyroidism, and the doctors think that that might be what is causing my high blood pressure.  It could be that those meds are slowly but surely fixing everything.

Maybe you can see an Endochrinologlist and have them rule out anything glandular, since the BP meds don't seem to be working for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.