dizziness

Posted , 12 users are following.

have had PMR for just under a year and thankfully am now off all meds and only get very minimial pain mainly in one finger and left hand. What I do get when I am tired and exercising is  dizziness  for about 15 seconds and  if I dont stop exercisisng have fainted......does anyone else have this problem.....never had it before I was diagnosed

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not something I have heard people complain about after stopping pred - though most of those don't stay on the forum. You are very lucky to have got off pred in a year.

I have atrial fibrillation which was most likely caused by the autoimmune part of PMR - and my husband has atrial fibrillation that is triggered by exercise. There are a few things that might cause something like you describe and a/f or another arrythmia or slow heart beat all of a sudden after exercising and raising the heart rate are possible. Do get your GP to check you out and preferably do a stress ECG to be sure that isn't what is happening.

• Posted

champion eileen...thanks for taking the time to respond.....I am ony 54 and also have AV but have never had these symptoms. Am in the process of having pace maker down loaded to see what is happening at the times when I experience the dizziness. GP is also arraging to monitor BP as well to see if there is a connection.

• Posted

Oh good - that's the right approach but you'd take ages to get them to try that in the UK! The trouble with a BP monitor is it may not catch the short time it happens - I was offered a 24 hour one last week which I declined for the moment! Just going to bed late is enough to flatten me for the next few days - the thought of losing a whole night's sleep wasn't appealing.

I didn't have any symptoms in the first few years, it was only really just before it was identified that I had more "slight dizziness" and was putting it down to the Medrol I had been switched to from pred. There is far too much put down to "the pred" - at least they can't throw that one at you!

• Posted

Hello Ray,, I've been diagnosed with PMR since March 2015, I'm down to 8mg of pred. Over the last 2 months I've been experiencing dizziness and sometimes nausea with it too. I put it down to a side effect of pred, but having never had these feelings while on much higher doses I was a bit concerned. It comes and goes really, some days I'm fine then other days I can feel quite dizzy all day. So listening to you I feel it must be a symptom of PMR, take care,,, - Andrea xx
    • Posted

tar I have expeieeinced it regardless of what level of pred i was on ...now that I am on nothing it is even more annoyiing...mine only comes when tired and exercising ......have a goood one..ps your one of 15 or so who responded to me but your the only one who sent kissess....nice touch in such a annoying time....  

• Posted

Hi Ray,

The only thing related to this that I have experienced is; I take Amlodipine for borderline BP.  Have been taking it for over 10 years, but when I reached 10 mg on preds last December I experienced constant light-headedness and had to keep putting my head down for a moment or I might have fainted, I then got my BP checked and it was found to be considerably lower than my 'normal'.  My GP reduced the dosage to 5 mg and this stabilised it, he stated this was due to the steroids!!  When I got down to 6 mg of pred, in June this year, my BP started to rise again and it was upped again to 10 mg.  I'm now at 5.5 mg of preds after a slight hiccup.  Total time on preds is 16 months.  Male 75.  Hope this helps, John

• Posted

I had to cut my BP medication to avoid flaking out - in warm weather I was going down to 100/60 and less with a pulse in the 40s. Cutting one of the 2 different tablets in half has achieved a more reasonable level!!!!!
    • Posted

Strange how we are all so different, Eileen.  It might be the length of time on preds, or at a certain dosage, but my drop in BP was in November/December (was not that cold).  When I was in Cyprus at the height of summer I felt as fit as a fiddle - temperatures were constantly in the mid 30's with high humidity. As they say 'up North'

'Nowt as queer as folk'

• Posted

Oregonjohn, you reminded me of an  expression used by the' oldies' here - " We're all queer except me and thee - and I'm not too sure about thee " . . . .   J
    • Posted

thanks mate...yeah am in the process of getting BP check to see if there is a connection as weel as getting the heart monitored...my BP has actually elivated since I got PMR but is back within norlam range....

• Posted

I hope the 12929 is not your birth date?  Would make you around 86!!
    • Posted

no johno i am only 54.....hope to get to 86 but will have to wait n see....
  • Posted

Ray, I am still on pred, but I occasionally do get dizzy spells where I feel like I might faint.  It lasts only a short time like you, but does go away.  With me, I think it due to my slow pulse rate due to distance running and usually occurs when I get up after sitting awhile.  It is called orthostatic hypotention.
    • Posted

thanks ingo one of thigs we are putting into palce is a heart performance down load...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.