eGFR increase

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was started on new Meds back in Feb because I'd moved overseas and they couldn't get my old Meds. I have just been for a routine blood test to check the Meds are working and my eGFR has gone up from around the 49/50 mark to over 60. Can this be right as it shows I've gone from CKD3 to normal kidney function.?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh, wow, Louise, if that is the case and it's due to the new meds, perhaps we all need to move overseas!!  My one thought is could there be a possibility that they use different machines and/or different statistics to measure eGFR in the country to which you have moved.  Well worth asking them

Do you have a list of the results?  In which case, how do other results, such as creatinine, potassium, urea, sodium, compare to previous results in the UK.

Another thought that comes to mind is have your changed any parts of your lifestyle considerbly, such as different diet, exercise etc

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this - meanwhile enjoy the good news. 

• Posted

Thanks Mrs O, I'm not convinced they are correct. I have yet to see the doctor as he may want to repeat the test. The nurse just suggested I went back to the UK for a test there to confirm. Luckily I'm back in June. But they don't fill you with confidence here. I don't have any other results from the UK but ill take a copy of these ones back for my GP there.
  • Posted

Very interesting!!

What was / is the old and new medication Louise? Also, where have you moved to?

• Posted

Hi Matt, my old meds were Ramapril and Bendrofluamazide. My new are Lisinopril and indapamide.

I have moved to Saudi Arabia.

• Posted

How strange, Louise, when Indapamide was added to my Losartan a six months ago, it had the opposite effect on my kidney function in just under a month.  I felt really weak and blood tests revealed that my creatinine and potassium had increased and my sodium levels had plummeted together with my eGFR which reduced by 9 points in that short time. My renal consultant stopped the Indapamide immediately but I felt really panicked.  The eGFR did regain 8 of the 9 points lost by the next blood test.  Perhaps the combination of Lisinopril and Indapamide is better than the Losartan/Indapamide combination.  Either that, or it's just our bodies reacting differently, if, in fact, the Laboratory where you are measures things differently.  Do you feel any different?
    • Posted

Hi MrsO, I don't feel any different really. Occasional lightheaded and tired but that could be altitude and heat. I still manage to cycle twenty miles a day and other exercise. I have a medical with gp in a couple of weeks so going to ask for a re test x
  • Posted

That is fab news! Have you changed anything beside meds?
    • Posted

Thanks Carol, haven't changed anything significant except the meds. Don't trust the result as my kidney is badly scarred and damaged so don't see how after 6 weeks on new meds its completely reversed.
    • Posted

Thanks Carol, haven't changed anything significant except the meds. Don't trust the result as my kidney is badly scarred and damaged so don't see how after 6 weeks on new meds its completely reversed.
  • Posted

Hi,

Mrs O is correct they measure things differently abroad and while there may be slight changes it is very doubful that you have recovered from renal failure.  I would await your return to the UK and having your bloods done then - good luck

• Posted

Helen, I don't think reduced kidney function can actually be described as "renal failure".  
    • Posted

Hi,

I would disagree CKD is chronic kidney disease the defanition of chronic is something you don't recover from and CKD stage 5 is end stage renal failure (ESRF) so the other stages are the kidneys failing you are just at different stages.  If at CKD stage 3 you are still in renal failure this is the stage of the disease (it does not mean that everyone progresses to end stage).  I hope this clarifys things.

• Posted

Thank you, Helen.  I have seen various websites that say they are one and the same but I know people who have been hospitalised and diagnosed with kidney failure, have been treated and have recovered.  It is possible to recover from kidney failure but not from chronic kidney disease.  I've also been told by a technician who runs the relevant blood tests in the lab that it's quite likely for someone with only one kidney to have a naturally lower function than someone with two but certainly not a failing kidney.  It's obviously a very complex subject and I wonder whether the jury is still out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.