Experience changing from prednisolone to prednisone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My rheumatologist would like me to change from methyl prednisolone (medrol) to prednisone. I sense that he prefers prednisone because of availability of low dose pills.

I know that Eileen had trouble with medrol and improved greatly with prednisone and I wonder if others have experience with change?

I seem to be doing well at reducing my dosage of medrol - currently at 12mg a day. I wouldn't mind changing to prednisone if were comfortable that the change would not cause problems. 

For those who have made the change - was it done all at once? That is, did you change from (say) 12mg of medrol to 15mg prednisone? Or did you mix the two gradually until full change or what?

Eileen, have you done any research on this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I switched from coated prednisolone to prednisone. I would not have thought it a good idea to mix the two, I just changed totally one day. The main difference is that the liver has to convert the prednisone into prednisolone, so I suppose taking prednisolone means that the liver can lie back and do nothing! But at the end of the day the steroid effect should be similar. I have found I have had fewer side effects with the new drug and also it is easier to taper, although it may just be in my mind. 
    • Posted

Thanks, ptolemy, for your response.

When you write "fewer side effects with the new drug", does that signify fewer side effects with prednisone than with prednisolone? And I would appreciate if you could expand on the side effects? Energy levels? Depression?

Did you compensate for the supposed difference in necessary amounts? i.e 20mg of prednisone if you had been taking 16mg prednisolone?

And, just to be clear, one day you were taking all prednisolone and next all prednisone?

I'm looking forward to more discussion with you.

• Posted

Yes one day I was taking all prednisolone and the next all prednisone. Effectively there is no real difference once it is absorbed into the body anyway.

I did not need to compensate in my case as the tablet dosages were the same, just convert to the equivalent amount in your case with the medrol. I was not taking medrol.

I had about fourteen side effects, some were reduced and some disappeared and some did not change. The hot flushes improved and also the purpura. The gritty eyes disappeared. My hair quality improved, but it went curly. I did not feel so depressed and slept better. Also I did not feel so hungry. The fluid retention stayed the same. I do feel very tired, but I think that is due to the fact that I am now at a dose where my adrenal glands are having to wake up and they don't like it.

• Posted

Thanks, again. You have educated me. I was not aware of simple prednisolone as distinct from methylprednisolone.

It seems that I might benefit from pursuing your course of action.

• Posted

It will be interesting if you find a difference between Medrol and your new pred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.