Ferrous sulfate 325mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello . I am anemic and was precribe ferrous sulfate 325mg 2 pills a day. I have notice since ive been taking iron pills that i have trapped gas really bad. My stomach rumbles day n night . I go to sleep with trapped gas and wake up the same. I also have pressure on my chest that comes and goes. Every time i drink anything like water i start to burp. I sometimes feel rumbling like on my throat. I also have loose stool. Every morning i have to go couple of times to restroom. I have been taking my pills for 11 days now. I already had issues with trap gas before taking iron but it has gotten worse. I read to avoid eating certain foods but i dont even eat that much since im also dealing with nausea that comes and goes. Yesturday i had me soup, an icee and a grilled chicken burger. Last night before eating my burger i started to feel pain on my chest and started feeling all anxious i was about to have anxiety/panic attack my heart started racing. Felt like it was gas. But not sure if it was caused by being anemic since i have been feeling this way when i went to see my dr two weeks ago or if it was the gas and just got scared and started to panic. Ugh i hate all this!! As i lay here right now my stomach is rumbling. I want to know what side effect have you had by taking iron pills. Cant wait to see my dr on wed.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Talk to your Doctor about getting iron infusions. Venofer. No side effects. I can't take supplements either. If your HMG and or Ferritin is low this is the best way to replenish your stores and get your HMG up.  Iron supplements can be harsh and irritate your stomach and intestinal track leading to long term issues. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi

i got prescribed ferrous sulphate 200mg 3 times a day ..

was told to take with orange juice and before food ...

i took for 2 months then my stomach could take no more but it got my ferritin levels up .. Am going to go this week to ask for a milder iron tablet or tonic..

i had to weigh up anaemia verse tummy problems so I stuck it out ..

i had diahreah each day .....pain across ribs is gastritus burning sore tummy so I took gaviscon an hour after my iron tablet and no nearer than 2 hours before ..as it prevents absorption of iron... 

I cut out bread ..but was OK eating bran flakes with 2 tablespoons of bran for breakfast that stopped the bloating ..

then I would wake up with my stomach feeling like it was gnawing itself can't explain ...weird nauseous , fainty, gnawing gripe feeling sucking a gaviscon took it off ..

now ive stopped the iron  I took a few days course of omeprazole and that has totally cured it .... Hoping GP will suggest to continue with a less aggressive iron supplement ... 

Hope that helps 

• Posted

Wow just how i have been feeling. Dr actually prescribe me omeprazole along with iron but decided not to take it because i was told omeprazole could interfere with your body obsorbing the iron. I give you props for hanging on that long. If my blood work shows that i am still really low then ill see if i stick around that long 😊if im ok then ill probably change with a less aggressive iron supplement. Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi these are definetly side affects of the iron tablets since I started taking then I have been burping excessively this goes on throughout the day not just after eating or drinking it also makes me feel nauseous. I feel the same as you any chest pressure or anything has me in a panic and I keep checking my pulse to see if my heart is racing it's horrible.
    • Posted

Lol sorry for laughing but looks like im not alone .worst feeling ever!😧thanks for responding.hope you feel better.
  • Posted

Glad to know I'm not the only one....I stopped to clear myself out...need a lower dose...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.