Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I need some urgent advice. I am changing my medication from Sertraline to Fluoxetine as Sertraline stopped working! To be truthful after reading through your posts re Fluoxetine I am terrified of the side effects!! I take numerous medications for various illnesses, Oromorph, Nitrazepam, Diazepam, Heart meds, meds for copd and others. I suffer with terrible depression and anxiety as well as having severe back pain, degenerative disc disease and arthritis! I have severe IBS and Divercular, so all in all not a very well person! I am allergic to Paracetamol and am taking HRT again due to them starting my hot flushes and severe head pains off again. I now take Codiene to control my headaches! Ok, scared in case when I change to Duloxetine that hot flushes may come back, that headaches will return, that this drug may stop my Sleeping tablets from working, not that they are much use anyway!! Also worried about the daytime fatigue which I already have , lack of energy which I already have! Worried about nausea, people on this site seem to think this is the main adverse effect!! I have been given this new drug as I am severely suicidle. But after reading what you have all written, I'm terrified to take it now! Please advise as I have to attend a friends funeral next week and I shall be staying with my mum for approx 2 weeks! I only lost my dad to cancer 3 months ago so not very good mentally right now! Please also excuse spelling mistakes as stupid adverts keep rising up as I type on my phone πŸ˜•! Please help asap. Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Can you just confirm, are you changing to Fluoxetine or Dueloxetine?

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thanks for confirming. I tried about 5 or six drugs when coming off Fluoxetine which had stopped working. Mirtazapine and Sertraline were a couple and I could not tolerate them, had awful side effects. πŸ˜– GP then put me on duloxetine and it took a while to get into my system but now I'm really feeling the benefits. My mood has lifed, I'm actually "happy" where I had been in a very very dark place. I feel SO much better and had no real side effects 😊 HOORAY πŸ˜€ My anxiety is under control. I'm really relieved that my GP took a chance and tried me on this. Reading the other comments, they seem quite positive too so don't be afraid, go for it. I'm sure it will work for you too. I remember all of the worry when changing from one drug to another, dreading how they would make me feel but so glad I persevered. Good luck with your journey. You will be feeling brighter soon I'm sure 😊

• Posted

Thank you so much, you have made me feel so much better. Still worried about side effects though, mainly hot flushes and headaches that Paracetamol left me with. It was an horrendous experience and now I'm limited to codiene for headaches as unable to take Inflamatory meds due to Ulcers in my stomach and unable to take Paracetamol ever again and that drug is in everything, cold meds etc.
  • Posted

Hi. I've tried sertraline with no luck. Duloxetine was a life saver and been on it over ten years. No side effects for me. Gave me a grew life back out of every other drug out there.
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I've been on duloxetine 3 years now they also saved my life, I was suicidal till put on duloxetine not much in the way of side effects except the flushes which I can cope with to feel half normal again , everyone is different but if they work for you like they have me you should really turn a corner with them good luck ,let me know how you get on hugs Donna xx

• Posted

Thank you Donna and will definitely keep you all updated on my progress! The last few months have been the worst time of my life, don't want to go back there so I do hope they work!! Β Still worried about the Hot flushes though as they were a permanent feature, I suffered with them all day and all night until coming off Paracetamol. Big hugs to you too hunni xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.