Fluoxetine and birth control pill/early period

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just started taking this medication about 10 days ago and I am also on Zovia. I am supposed to take my last birth control pill tomorrow but I started my period today. I am only on 5 mg of fluoxetine as I cut my pill in half. I'm on the pill for heavy and irregular periods since my last child. I'm almost 39. Anyone have experience with this? I am hoping it won't keep messing up my cycle Thank you

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It messed my periods up too.. but it will get better once your body gets used to the medicine..
  • Posted

It shouldn't interfere with your cycle I am on it for pmdd and it's helping with my problems could it be something else interfering with your cycle?

• Posted

Sarah

I have really bad heart palpitations during the week before and just a few days into my cycle. This makes my anxiety horrible. Do you think the fluoxetine would help that? I'm on Paxil 45mg now and reducing very slowly about 5mg a month. I've been on Paxil 15 years and it just pooped out on me. I felt like I was already going through withdrawal before I ever reduced to 45mg. I have akathesia bad sometimes, but when it first happened back in July of 2015 it was horrendous!!!! I'm on Prozac 5mg, but was on 10mg and my psychiatric nurse practitioner took me down to 5mg I guess because I was having the akathesia and bad anxiety. I know Prozac can be activating and make you nervous so I'm wondering if I should just ride it out and go back up to 10 mg because of my pmdd. She's wanting to switch me to Lexapro when I go back in June. I also have OCD so I'm wondering if the Prozac would eventually calm down since I'm going to eventually be at a lot higher dose because of the OCD. I'll probably be at 60mg if not more. It takes more medication for OCD. I'm scared the higher I go the worse it could get. Prozac was one of the first SSRI meds I was put on when I was first diagnosed with OCD. I never had any issues with it then either, but that's been about 20 years ago. I am 45 now. My endocrinologist diagnosed me with PCOS a few years ago, but I first got diagnosed at 18 and was put on birth control pills and stayed on them until I was about 29. I had my only child at 31. It took me a year to get pregnant. I never got back on the pill. I've read that pmdd can cause anxiety also, but the polycystic ovarian syndrome can too. My hormones are fine except my testosterone was 5 points above normal this past time. My periods are regular and I still ovulate. I do have acne and female pattern baldness from the PCOS also. I noticed my hair beginning to fall out a little more than usual around the age of 19 to 21. I contributed it to the SSRI MEDS I was on. I'm supposed to be getting an appointment with a psychiatrist that specializes in women's health hopefully soon. The thing is my endocrinologist wants to put me on a low estrogen birth control pill to see if it helps. I've also read that birth control pills can make anxiety and depression worse sometimes. Is the Prozac the only Med you're on? What are your thoughts on this?

• Posted

Honestly I would stay on it and see what improves it takes a while for this pill to be effective

I Went on my first dose in January for 4 months then I decided to try an increase I've had some side effects but I know if I stick it out they will gradually disappear

Give it a chance I've read it takes 4-6 weeks to really see improvement

I know for myself this pill works we owe it to ourselves to be the best us smile

• Posted

I looked to see if there were any drug interactions with Paxil and fluoxetine and there is

This is what it said:

fluoxetine oral and paxil oral both increase affecting serotonin levels in the blood. Too much serotonin is a potentially life-threatening situation. Severe signs and symptoms include high blood pressure and increased heart rate that lead to shock.

This could be why you are having heart palpitations

• Posted

I was having them last year when it started in July and I wasn't on Prozac.
    • Posted

Oh gotcha, I've had a racing heart at times long before I was on medication

Has to be part of our malfunction with pmdd?

• Posted

Thank you! My periods were not messed up until this cycle. Literally when I started fluoxetine I was cramping at night and spotting. Then my period started yesterday. I'm on the pill so I was thinking it shouldn't interfere but it's almost like its negating my pill now rolleyes
    • Posted

I checked to see if Zovia and flu can have an interaction but it said they dont but it could be just your body still adjusting to the medication

If your period is still out of whack the next cycle consult your doctor

But this pill is suppose to level you out with pmdd

Are you taking the medication all the time or just around your cycle

By the way I'm so glad I'm not alone with is disorder

• Posted

Hmmmmy Doctor said I can take it 14 days before my cycle and then stop taking it when my cycle ends as I'm ok throughout the rest of the month my doctor said that the pill lasts a week in your system

• Posted

I take the pill for cycle regulation but the fluoxetine is for my anxiety and OCD so I take both daily Lolol but I'm only taking 5mg fluoxetine right now but still notice a difference
    • Posted

Thank you smile I rarely take meds n am the same way smile I hate the cramps I'm getting. It's like why even bother taking the birth control pill. Ugh
    • Posted

I'm paranoid about drug interactions too. Do you know of one that includes supplements and drug interactions?
    • Posted

I don't have ppmd I'm on fluox for anxiety and OCD thoughts. rolleyes I'm on the pill to regulate my cycles and help make them lighter
    • Posted

I cried all the time I was angry to the point I would blank out and didn't know what I was doing or saying

I had thoughts of suicide I was really depressed I couldn't control my moods I would get all period symptoms 2 weeks before my cycle even started I would yell a lot get into arguments with people I literally felt like two different people like Jekyll and Hyde

I couldn't stand myself anymore

my hubby was diagnosed with bipolar and we had to get him well before I could figure out what was wrong with me

With a lot of research I came across pmdd disorder and I knew that's what I had

My family doctor refused to give me medication she didn't take me seriously and wanted to send me to counselling instead so I took myself to the walk in clinic and asked to be on fluoxetine as my research should this medication helped with this disorder..I only wish I had this pill years ago!

• Posted

I have really bad anxiety and OCD. How much fluoxetine are you on? I'm trying to go down on my Paxil so I can get on another antidepressant and it has created so much anxiety just going down 5mg on my Paxil. I have to get off Paxil !!! I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't tolerate this anxiety !!
    • Posted

I'm prescribed 10 but take 5 smile I but it in half. I don't take meds ever. Rarely a Tylenol. So I did lowest dose. I'm also a therapist, so I'm trying to stay off meds but really need them right now. I'll overthink things and "make up things in my head". Drives me nuts
    • Posted

I felt bipolar as well but then realized it was anxiety. I would think my husband didn't love me and there were no legitimate reasons why ugh
    • Posted

Haha our poor husbands how do they put up with us around our cycles I'll never know...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.