Frozen shoulder-mine seems minor compared to others in this forum...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, if it helps, I just want to let people know that for some (certainly not all) a Frozen Shoulder does get better with time. Exactly 12 months ago I had minor irritation in my right shoulder and ignored it till eventually it became more severe and quite painful. I put up with constant pain (day and worse at night - involuntarily gave up sleeping) for about 2 months and finally saw a Doc. Xrays revealed an inflamed bursa & tendon and a torn tendon to boot. I have no idea how I did that! Had steroid injection into the bursa & was put on strong codeine. Sorry to say but it got worse before the inflammation started to ease about 3 weeks later. I went through Xmas hol's high on pain killers and increasingly unable to move my arm - by then the diagnosis was frozen shoulder. Have been going to Physio since January and it has done wonders...although painful treatment at first, after about 6 visits to him I am now on the home stretch and don't need to see him for another 2 months. Have been off pain killers for around 4 months. My range of motion is ALMOST back to what it was. It may never be the same but I am not in pain anymore, however I do occasionally feel a sharp niggle in the joint so I take care and try not to overuse the arm when that happens. I live in Australia & love to swim in our beautiful oceans. Last summer it was near impossible. My Physio has promised me I will be swimming again this summer - fingers crossed! I really hope this helps someone who may be feeling nothing but pain and despair with this condition. For a while there I was scared that this would never go away and it worried me - yes I cried a lot. I now have much more respect & sensitivity toward people who live with chronic pain everyday.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What a great testament to techniques to improve shoulder movement.

I agree living in chronic pain evey day is a daily struggle. 

Sometimes I can't pic up a book other times it's a turn and raise of the shoulder causes extreme pain. It almost according to X-ray bone on bone. 

My range of motion is limited. I move a lot slower and mindful of the things I do to preserve the integrity of my shoulders.

Its due originally to a torn rotator cuff injury. As in the true diagnosis of my condition. Actually in reality frozen shoulder is simply a condition of the tendons and muscles that have been damaged.which limit movement.

I sounds like you have worked very hard to regain the mobility in your shoulder. 

Im in the U.S. our summer is just about turning into Autumn. The warm weather helps a lot. 

I do do therapy as much as possible and wear a shoulder support at night. My shoulder does just pop out slightly of joint easily.

As in my case I have extra space in all my Joints which makes them susceptible to injury. 

I hope that you will be back in the beautiful sea swimming this summer. 

How lucky to live in Australia such a beautiful country. 

• Posted

That's good to hear mentalpause! I had another rough night last night. It's SO unfair, I'd just got shut of the night sweats (HRT) and now I'm waking every hour with pain in my shoulder and pins and needles in my hands.

Hope4cure - I agree with you warmth is a great help. Unfortunately we have not had a summer in Northern Ireland. I'm not joking. There is a saying 'one Swallow does not a summer make', well 4 - 5 warm, sunny days does not a summer make! I think it was working in the garden, in a cold wind yesterday that did for me!

How I envy you mentalpause, Swimming in the sea! We are 6 miles from the Donegal coast and the Atlantic. I've not had the courage to PADDLE there this year - way too cold.rolleyes

I was just thinking, it's so nice to be here 'chatting' to two ladies on opposite sides of the world. Such different places/circumstances, but so much in common.

• Posted

to be sure, to be sure! My Mum's from Dublin (Dad's a Glaswegian - ochhh eye!!)... they moved to Australia 60+ yrs ago, settled and had 4 kids all born here. The beach is my favourite place... swimming in the ocean has so many good healing qualities but unfortunately not for a frozen shoulder. It's almost 1 week on since I posted my first message and my shoulder is so much better since then. I now hardly know it's there unless I try to reach over my head. I can tolerate it now, without painkillers. However, I've had to give up gardening and washing my car and take extra time with house cleaning. But compared to how I was earlier in the year, I can't complain now. Wishing you both speedy recovery.
  • Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

• Posted

My story is pretty similar, 12 months ago a sore shoulder that got worse fairly swiftly until I went to see the Dr.  An X-ray revealed nothing dubious so tendinitis was suggested.  A first cortisone injection didn't do the trick but a second one provided some relief.  I plodded on popping ibuprofen and then naproxen which I soon discovered both gave me nighttime heartburn.  Went back to Dr in Spring who prescribed maloxicam which seemed to sort the heartburn and he suggested physio.  I blew off the physio because I could only get my arm up to shoulder height and was too scared (I know total wimp).  Struggled through Summer (no swimming for me either) and then went back to Dr.  As it was still so sore had an MRI, again nothing dubious so Frozen Shoulder was diagnosed with 2 options, surgery or physio.  I opted for physio because I didn't want surgery (did I mention I'm a wimp) and have now had 2 sessions a week for around 5 weeks.

I do feel better after physio but am still having pain (which moves around a lot) when I raise my arm above 45° from straight out.  During my physio 'massage/manipulation' they can move it higher but everything seems to seize up again between sessions.

To sum up, I'm coping but still get pretty down from time to time mainly just at how long this has dragged on.  I see online timelines of 30 months or up to seven years and I just want to cry!! 

• Posted

Talk to your do a bout shoulder MUA .  I couldn't lift my arm before it. 5 days post and I am sore but have most all rom back.
    • Posted

I have cried and cried. Ask your doc about shoulder MAU. I COULDNT LIFT MY ARM SOME DAYS. 5 days post MAU my rom is almost all back . I am sore but nothing like before. I'm just hoping it stays that way. 
    • Posted

That's good to hear, next time I go back I will ask about it.  He was suggesting some kind on arthroscopic surgery so it wasn't MUA that he was originally talking about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.