Gallbladder removed still experiencing nausea/vomit

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed about 2 days ago and the first day back home I was sore but ok. But yesterday I ate some grilled chicken and boiled zucchini and started to get nauseous. This morning I had boiled rice and I threw up and now I'm constantly nauseous. I am taking ibuprofen and levofloxacin and I do have ondansentron for nausea but I thought the nausea and vomiting would go away. I've been dealing with gallbladder issues for a month and a half before they finally figured out the issue and I just want to feel better. Is the nausea normal? How long does it take to go away? I just got up from bed(sitting not lying down) and had a bad taste in my throat that was causing me to gag. Any feedback would've appreciated!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Evelyn

I'm on day 9 since my op and I too felt nausea and vomited for couple of days but was prescribed Buccastem Buccal tablets. You place it under your tongue whenever you feel nausea or want to vomit and let it dissolve. It works for me.

Also you'll need to let the anaesthetic wear off so that could be what's making you feel sick. I stuck to smaller portion for 3 days such as toast or soup or Rice Krispies before I had solid food. My taste did change too and again it's because of the gas and anaesthetic you had inside you.

Drink loads of water!!

Every one is different but constipation was the problem for me (still is) but slowly getting there.

Not sure where you are but my meds are from UK and I had a keyhole surgery

Get well soon! smile

• Posted

Really?! That sucks but is good to hear! I'm in the U.S. And my gastro asked to go back to see him so I'm going tomorrow. It's just frustrating because you think the feeling of nausea and vomiting would go away right away because they tell you that you'll be back to normal in no time. They told me about the pain which is actually not awful but the ongoing nausea and now vomiting is draining and depressing. I threw up while on the antinausea meds tonight and all I had was jello and they are a pill that dissolves on my tongue. I worry because there's some threads on here that speak of people living with this for months to a year before getting moderately better.
    • Posted

Everyone is different though. And you're only day 2 so your surgery is still quite new and not all the gas and anaesthetic have gone from your system..

I had op on wed morning but had to stay overnight and was discharged Thursday. And during that day and Friday I hardly ate anything. It wasn't until late Saturday I actually started to eat solid food but in moderate amount.

That dissolve pill I had was only prescribed to me on Monday so for the 1st 1-3days I just stuck to ginger and lemon tea (ginger helps prevent vomiting), soup, yogurt (any liquid you name it)

Drink lots of water (6-8 glasses) per day. you need to flush out any toxins from your body.

If the system persist for 4-5

Days then go to your doctor again

• Posted

Hi Evelyn, just so you know, I'm in the U.S. too, and working with your gastrointerologist is the best thing to do. I suffered with mild GB symptoms all of 2013 until finally in Dec I had it removed. Like you, they told me about the pain, which was really not bad, and that it would take about 5-6 days for the anesthesia to finally leave my body completely. Then I would feel better and eventually be back to normal. It just didn't happen that way! In a nut shell, you need to eat very low fat, very small meals every few hours and never get too full. I tried to muscle thru all of 2014 with nausea, diarrhea, reflux.....it was awful. I was even in the hospital a few times the vomiting got so bad. Once for a tooth ache, I was given an antibiotic, and I can't even describe the nausea! OMG! My liver was really angry! This caused two hospital stays and during the last one, the gastroenterologist did an ERCP. He placed a temporary stent in the pancreas so all the backed up sludge (bile) could drain. The little biliary tube was narrowed and it was causing all my nausea. From what I understand, this is fairly normal, but they never tell you stuff like this! I just wanted to feel better, and for a year I just suffered not knowing what to do! Anyway, after the stent, I was given the dissolving under-the-tongue pill, and it helped, but I still had a few more episodes of  "colic/nausea/vomiting" in the next few months, but as of now, it's been 5 months since I've had any more episodes, and I think I'm finally getting my life back. It will be two years this Dec. BUT, I'm still on a low fat diet. There are some foods I just cannot eat, and you will gradually learn which ones from experience. I eat every 3 hours or so, small amounts, lots of water, no alcohol, because the liver processes the sugar and it's now working alone with out the gall bladder. I've switched to soy milk, nothing fried, I've totally given up fast food, and I've noticed too much refined sugar seems to upset my stomach. Everyone is different, so you will eventually figure it out. I have a friend that NEVER suffered any of this! Lucky girl! Also, diarrhea can be halted with a binder ( from your family doc) but I still have not figured out how to eleminate the intestinal gas. The whole recovery just takes time and patience and experimenting with what works for you! A good gastroenterologist is your best bet! Do not put up with the vomiting! It can be eliminated slowly but surely. Even now, I still am on constant alert to what goes in my mouth. There are still occasions of slight nausea, but I can manage now. I hope I've helped and given you a little insight. I had to figure it out on my own till I found my Doc. He's a sweetheart! The actual surgery was flawless, it was the aftermath that took it toll! Good luck to you! 
  • Posted

I don't know but based on what my surgeon told me 4 years ago when I had my GB removed your diet - for the first week or so - should be mostly liquid.  I had no solids for at at least two weeks (to be safe) after the op and I didn't have any issues.

Of course, my recommended diet may also have been due to having open surgery (unlike the majority who have it laparoscopically) but, to be honest, I'd go for more liquids during the first week.  I mean, you want to give the area some time to heal.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

I did not have nausea except that I felt sick as soon as I woke from anaesthetic which soon wore off.

It does take a while to get over this op.

I thought I was doing OK.

But 5 months on I still have a bit of stomach ache (though not the pain I had in my ride side when I had gallstones).

I don'tknow if this is related but I am also having a bit of constipation and pain and soreness in my back passage. Trying to make an appointment with a woman GP in next couple of weeks to see what is going on.

Still have to be a bit careful what I eat,nothing too fatty.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi 

I had mines removed on the 4 and I still get neused when I eat. I had baked chicken and vegatables. I became sick I don't eat alot. I find that I had lost some weight too. I can tolerate cereal and milk so that mainly what I have been eating. I still have the horrible attacks. Its pain right where the insiosion is.

• Posted

i actually ended up seeing my surgeon yesterday and he gave me some sort of antacid and antinausea meds and took me off antibiotics. It's only been 1 full day of meds so we'll see how it goes. Still pretty nauseous but it's only day 4 post op. Ugh I'm just so frustrated because the nausea and vomiting I've been dealing with since July and I just want to get back to normalsad
  • Posted

i had my op on 14th august and i still feel sick often
    • Posted

Have they said why? If it's going to go away? They put me on antacid meds and antinausea meds for now
    • Posted

no i havent had a follow up appointment with anyone im gonna go see a doctor soon for another reason so ill ask him then
    • Posted

I did not have a follow up appointment either so I think this is quite normal.

Sarah

• Posted

We are now at day 9 and I thought the nausea and vomiting were getting better and like an idiot I had a quessadilla (corn tortilla and cheese, no butter) yesterday and last night i threq up everything and this morning I threw up green and yellow bile. I had a scheduled checkup up with my primary today and am now on blood pressure meds because my pressure has been reading high. I honestly think that all the stress from being sick is causing the blood pressure to be high. I called my surgeon and he put me back on the antinausea meds but I just want this all to be over. How long does it take for people to stop being nauseous and throwing up after surgery? I seriously just sit here and cry sometimes.
    • Posted

Be patient. I had my gallbladder removed at end of April and am only just getting back to eating a bit of cheese without being in pain again..
  • Posted

Hi! How are you feeling now?

Sorry for giving a late feedback.

In my opinion, You should eat bland and soft foods after operation.

I'm no expert but base on my experience 2 months ago. For almost 2 months i eat only bland or soft foods. Like mashed banana,boiled rice (half-cup), clear soup, 1 slice of wheat bread and cerelac (Nestle's Baby food).

Hope you'll feel better

Katherine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.