going from elavil to zoloft

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking amitripiline off and on for a couple of months. My dear Dr put me on zoloft 50mg(he said zoloft is better than the amitri) I had to stop the Zoloft after two weeks b/c of the zide effects. They scared me big time. Went back to the amitri. Now I feel like I should have given the zoloft more than 2 weeks.

How long should I wait after stopping the amitri to start the zoloft.? I have xanax and ativan now to cope with side effects, but the reazon I want to take the zoloft is to stop taking the benzos (xanax and Ativan) 

Thanks in advance for any responces!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Doris I know how you feel, I'm right there with you.  I had take Paxil for 20 years.  Dr. slowly weaned me off but kept raising th Zoloft.  I have had horrible stomach problems.  At this point I worry constantly about having a major stomach issue, always running to the bathroom, pains.  This is making my panic much worse.  I am on 100mg and she is cutting tme to 50 today to see if it helps.

But that is not going to help llmy nerves.  I too take xanax and ativan to stay kind of normal.  Don't even want to leave the house.  I don't know how long these side effects last but I'm ready to ask for a different drug.

• Posted

susan...dont know what to tell you. I have never try Paxil. Hopefully the Dr can help you. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Wishing you luck. If Zoloft is not for you and you gave it a good try, there are other meds out there.

God Bless

• Posted

May I ask why you werr on Amitriptyline? An how long an dosage? Why did you want to stop it?
    • Posted

Yes, you maybiggrin I was on Amitri for neurophatic pain on my chest from Breast Cancer. My issue with it is constipation. I was on 50mg.

My son (he's an adult) is on zoloft and doing well, the reazon I decided to try it. Dont know what to do......

• Posted

My mother had breast cancer but we caught it early. No lymph node involved. Had bilateral mastectomies. That was 17 yrs ago. She 81 now. Only used Tomoxifin. I tried Sertraline but could not take because of the physical sickness i had. Liver enzymes went up, joints felt like hot poker, severe diaherra, flu like pain all over. Took it for 2 an half months. Mentally it helped. I have depression an GAD. Im also under a ton of stress. Caregiver to my 80 yr old parent's who dont drive an live at home. They need to go to assisted living. Iv tried 4 different antidepressants. Now on nothing but Klonapin (anti-anxiety) but weaning off. I was wondering how Amitriptyline did for depression or might try Effexor. Iv tried Cymbalta (i have fibromyalgia also) Lexapro an Prozac (horribly sick on it). Just stopped Prozac in Feb 20th. I feel my anxiety an low mood returning but all this stress not helping. Im also involved in 2 lawsuits. One fr being Rear-ended an our car was totaled, an the other I fell inside Walmart an broke my foot an now they barely will give me for pain an suffering what I deserve for this foot injury. They play down n dirty an brought up my depression. So going to court. I cant take all this. I. Trying 5htp rt now but its only been 4 days on it. Goodluck.
  • Posted

I have been on Sertraline/Zoloft for 8 weeks.  3 weeks @25mg where i had side effects including increased anxiety and felt absolutely no relief and now 5 weeks @50mg still with side effects when i increased, but they diminished around week 3-4 and now in week 5 i have been feeling pretty normal.  

So i would say that you have to give the meds time to reach therapeutic levels in your system.  I was ready to throw in the towel, so my Dr gave me Ativan to bridge the time before the sertraline started to work - that got me through the worst days in week 3 and 4 and now i haven't taken it since last week - yeah me!

I have also begun therapy for my anxiety - i believe it will be a combination of the meds and the therapy that will help me overcome this period and then hopefully i will be able to taper off the sertraline.

best of luck figuring out your meds and dosage - its very trial and error which is frustrating but if you can hang in there and give the sertraline enough time it may be the drug for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your responce, these are crasy meds. My son told me the other day that in the near future, all we have to do is go to the Dr once a year and get and injection for the depression and anxiety and that wiil be it. He was trying to make me feel better, I guess biggrin)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.