H. pylori

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everybody. I'm 20 years old and recently tested positive for H. Pylori. I've been given antibiotics but it means I'll be on 14 tablets a day.. That seems an awful lot of tablets doesn't it? It has me slightly concerned! The tablets are amoxicillin 500mg 'take two capsules twice a day for 7 days' and Tetracycline 250mg 'take two four times a day' and Lansoprazole '2 capsules daily' is this the normal regimen?

Just to clarify.. I haven't been diagnosed with an ulcer.. Just H. Pylori

Don't want to overdose.. Obviously.. Haha

Thanks all!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had h pylori, and that's the right amount of of medication, and it works, I am fully recovered and back to the gym feeling great, was quiet poorly with that bug, hope you get better soon. Julie
  • Posted

Hi Amie

Good for you to raise this issue.

There is something definitely wrong with your prescription.

For instance Lansoprazole and Amoxicillan are part of the Gold Standard therapy for H.Pylori. But the maximum daily dose of Amoxicillin is 1000mgms or 1 - 500mgm tablet morning and evening. Amoxicillin is a Penicillin derivative  and if you are not allergic to that, you are OK. Amoxicillin is one of the two antibiotics you require.

Lanzoprazole is the best of the PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitor) to reduce the acid concentration caused by H. Pylori. I take it you are taking it - 30mgms twice a day.

Apart from the strangeness of your Amoxicilin dosage - not for years and years has Tetracycline been used as the second required antibiotic.

It is definitely not recommended for H.Pylori though it is still used for many other types of infections.

The required second antibiotic for H. Pylori is Clarythromycin - again taken twice a day. Its a bit aggressive and likely to give you the runs but it is something to put up with for 7 days. There is another drug Metranidazole - which is not quite effective as Clarythromycin but is used as a fall back therapy if the former does not eradicate.

How old is your Doctor ? I cannot advise what you should do about your incorrect regime. But I would be interested in what you do do. And in the further outcome. You have probably had H.pylori since childhood. Are there Gastric problems in the family ? Anyway waiting a few days before starting therapy is not going to be damaging.

Best of luck

No

• Posted

Sorry Derek

I was wrong on the tetracycline , I had clarythromycin 1tab twice a day for 7days,

But doctors still give tetracycline,

And I also had 500g of amoxicillin 4tab aday for 7 days, most treatments in some areas have a two week course of meds, my doctors give one week course, and no follower ups, and I didn't have any side effects, and I never had any runs julie

• Posted

Fine.

Let some Doctors give Tetracycline - so long as its not to you.

You got the correct antibiotic.

Can't see double the required dose of Amoxicillin doing much harm.

And yes - 7 days is the standard therapy.

Some Doctors are not giving the retest for eradication post therapy.

Considering the fact that a fairly high percentage of patients don't respond to initial therapy this must be wrong. Insist on them doing it.

A breath test should be given four weeks after the end of therapy or if a stool test is done instead the test should btaken 8 weeks after therapy

• Posted

I really, really don't want to be rude to Julie but I very much doubt she took 2000mgms of Amoxicillin a day.

And Tetracycline ???!!!!???

• Posted

I had H Pylori - years ago - and probably had it for some time - was quite ill - took a naturopath/MD to figure it out -

He did not go the antibiotic route because my stomach would never have been able to handle it - I was skeptical - but he had me take a natural product (pyloricil - not sure on the spelling) It was $50 for a months supply

I figured I'd try it - and he would retest me - well - it got rid of it.

Recently, my sister got diagnosed with it - but already had a bleeding ulcer - I told her to try what I did first but she insisted on going the traditional route - she had a hard time ingesting that much antibiotic - being that her stomach was already sore - I believe on recheck she was good as well -but all that antibiotic is really not the best for your immune system or gut biology - Just my opinion - I know most people will go the conventional route - and I totally get that - but if there is someone who can't hack all those pills - maybe there is a viable alternative - Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.