Hallucinations? Feeling things?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Ok I have a feeling it's only me with this problem, been on propranolol slow release 80mg for 3 weeks and just started to experience waking up in the night and seeing a figure of a child, then last night I woke up and felt a mouse running under my duvet, there was nothing there sad this only happens when my brain has just woke up , anyone else experienced anything like this? Medication was working great until this happened

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I take propranolol 80 mg twice a day and recently have had hallucinations in the middle of the night. Don't know if it is the propranolol or my sleeping pill. But when I wake up in the night I also see things that I know are not there. When I fall back asleep and wake again it is stiill there.. WEIRD OR WHAT. I am thinking now it is the propranolol as it is still happenening and I lowered the dose of my sleeping pill.
    • Posted

tion that did not include betta blockers.  the nightmore ended and life is all good now
    • Edited

hi I was reading your comment I also take same medication as you do but I take 40 mg twice a day I have been taking this medication for years and I will say in the past three months I have had hallucinations or maybe night terrors something I wake up in the middle the night three or four different times I’ll see stuff on the walls I feel like I see figures standing in my room I feel like I see stuff in my living room wall where my pictures hang it’s crazy it’s kind of freaking me out how long have you been on the medication I have been on it for at least at least 10 years hope to hear back from you

• Posted

This happens to me at night! I'll think that I see things moving along the ceiling and wall but I know it's not there. one time something out of the corner of my eye terrified me though. Twice now I've woken up either my husband or our youngest that was in bed with me. first time I thought a spider was on the blanket and just the other night it looked like some black mass was coming down toward us from the ceiling. not sure if it was supposed to be a bug or what but I had to get up and turn the light on for both. Also at first the dreams were wild but fun and interesting. now they are getting to be sad or scary subjects

• Posted

hi there, new to this forum but came across this on google as i was looking for answers. I've been on propranolol since end of Sept 2021 for migraines after a concussion. i honestly don't remember when my hallucinations started but i had the same thing too where i thought i saw a black mass coming down from the ceiling and i literally rolled out of my bed thinking it was a huge spider (i' m scared of spiders at night) and to put the lights on too. and last night i thought i saw another spider, like a string like spider(s) on the side of bed and i woke up with a gasp. i think i was just falling asleep and i was in that weird state. i've noticed i get these just before bed. i thought i was going crazy!

• Posted

It is so trippy for sure! Yes I'm scared of spiders and bugs at night too so wondering if it's playing into my fears. Sometimes if I'm awake enough still I can rationalize what it is and it doesn't bother me but if I'm enough in that in between it scares me so much! I dream a lot too. Most of the time I have interesting dreams that I like but sometimes they are super negative, sad or scary.

• Posted

it is mist likely ur propranolol, i was experiencing the same taking 40mg twice a day, i had hallucinations every night only at night i wud see the same hallucinations everytime i woke up it was quite scary for me so my doctor lowered my dose to 20mg and the hallucinations more or less stopped

• Edited

Hi there, just came across your question and had to reply! They are night terrors, kind of like nightmares but your brain keeps them going for a few minutes when u wake up...it's 100% the propranolol and it will go away!!! I was on 80mg propranolol for migraines and started to scream through the night with them but it goes away, it's just something it does to the brain, very strange! It's one of the biggest side effects listed...nightmares. I've been off them for a year and just went back on them today and terrified as I know I'll have night terrors...normally it's a spider running across the pillow but I did have butterflies once lol, sometimes a witch in the corner though ewwwww!!! Xx
    • Posted

STAY AWAY FROM BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION  THAT CONTAINES BLTTA BLOCKERS.  YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENT IN 2 WEEKS OR BEFORE.  
    • Edited

I just came across this tonight. I get the spiders thing all the time, I hate it 🙈 It's so real, even though I know it's not.

• Posted

the spiders are the worst! once I screamed out loud because I thought one was crawling on my blanket. just the other night I woke up my 7 year old who was sleeping next to me and made her get out of the bed with me because I thought a spider or something was coming down over us off the ceiling!

• Posted

How long do I have to be on the propranolol 100mg twice a day before thee hallucinations stop. They are really freaking me out.
    • Posted

aSK YOUR DOCTOR FOR OTHER BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN BETTA BLOCKERS.  YOU WILL SEE A DIFFRENCE IN 1 WEEKS.  i HAD HORRIBLE VISUAL HAULICINATION UNTILL THE BETTER BLOCKERS WERE DISCONTINUE.  NOW I AN ON CLONIDINE. NIFIDIPINE AND ENALAPRIL.. AM ABLE TO SLEEP AGAIN.  AM HAPPY NOW.
  • Edited

Hi donella, they should calm down very soon. I restarted my propranolol last week and on the second night opened my eyes and screamed the house down cos I thought the shadows in the room were coming towards me. Usually I would get them once in a wee while....you should not be getting them lots. I wonder if it's worth mentioning to the gp? They may need to taper your dose. I mentioned night terrors to my gp but he didn't have a clue! I still get night terrors occasionally without the propranolol as well, so it's just one of those things. I notice if I have a glass of wine or am overtired it makes it much much worse! Xx
    • Posted

I notice if I miss a night dose the next night seems that I take it see.s to be a doozy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.