has anyone been put on tranxene for withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I switched from xanax 1 mg to diazepam 10 mg not doing to well switched drs he put me on 7.5 of the tranxene to take with the d for two weeks then stop the d and reduce off the t.the script says take the t once a day but when surely not with the d as I take it at night they are both sedatingI called his office and left a message will have to waite till tomorrow. Can anyone give me some insight please! 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Carol

​Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing. If you go looking for evidence, no matter , how tenuious you will find it, and start the cycle again. Play some games on FB. Imagine you have your hand, fingers spread as wide as they would go. Now place that hand so the palm is touching your nose. Think you can see where I'm going with this. smile

• Posted

I have to ask what are you trying to say about too much knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    • Posted

I don't intend to take this without further questioining, yes i agree this can monopolize your life and thoughts but if it is disruptive then action is needed.There are many questions to be asked. If you go blindly and trustingly into things you may end up like me being wary. I have a right and an obligation to myself to be informed. To much knowledge is a dangerous thing if you are a hypochondriac which I am not. If I had not done research I would not have found this site. How can anyone have to much knowledge? It is not ownly the knowledge but how you use it.
    • Posted

My question was aimed at craig not you Carolsmile you are doing the right thing by questioning what is going on regarding the prescribing of any drug.

Benzos can take over ones life even when one is no longer taking them and are drug free.

• Posted

Absolutly Carol is doing the right thing by asking questions never take anything without knowing what they do. What i'm trying to say is to take a step back and look at it from a different angle. Benzos are powerful tranqulizers easy to get on, not so easy to get off and reducing them at a comfortable pace is the safest course of action. This can include taking a different (less powerful ) benzo. You can have to much knowledge if you DON'T know how to use it. What's the point of knowing how to walk but only making left turns, and if benzos ruin your life (even when your drug free) that what suggest to me that you should still be on them as anxiety is still being caused and that person is still chemically imbalanced within the brain. When i say anxiety, i'm taking about debilitating anxiety that is causing distress and discomfort Which Carol is obviously still expierencing. Benzo's are not a "one size fits all solution" Finding the right combination is of paramount importance and can take some experimenting to find that.
    • Posted

So you are if I am right suggesting that taking a different benzo would help. Such as a milder one. And then when one becomes tolerant to that one. What next try a different one. I was put on my benzo for insomnia. I was never told what they can do to you. I became tolerant and it took me 3 attempts oin coming off mine. I still have insomnia and it sure gets me down but I will never take anything for it.
    • Posted

Actually Craig the d has helped my anxiety more than the x did.I generaly sleep well except the night before last i did'nt sleep at all try working with no sleep and d in  you system wasn't pretty but I made it then I had to stand in line at the pharmacy only to find out I was getting another benzo.Just a horrible day but I have an enormous amount of determination I will not just give up and lay on the couch I am a fighterand yes depression does creep in because I am so frustrated but I fight that off also..Switching these meds around can cause that big time I am very aware.the best cure cry it out for a few minutes and move on crying and laughter really help lift a sour mood believe it or not I have a great sense of humor and can be quite off beat at times.
    • Posted

The Dr did find alot of fluid in my ears my sinuses are draining into my earsso he said to use Flowmax. that might be contributing to the dizzy
    • Posted

no. I'm not saying blindly switch from one benzo to the next that serves no pupose at all (and never ending) pharmacologicly speaking different benzos have different purposes such as anxiolytic, anti-convulsant, amnesic, hypnotic, muscle relaxant. It's about finding the RIGHT benzo by systematically eliminating the wrong ones. This can only be done by a process of scientific elimination. Benzo's might not even be the right type of drug. SSRI. SNRI and other anti depressants might be a better choice, and in my opinion should be tried first before benzo's are tried. Then you have the Z-drugs zopiclone or zolpiderm. Then you have NLP or CBT therapy (which should be given inconjunction with benzos) bottom line is benzos are a last resort treatment, but when used correctly can literally change a persons life for the better. I went from not being able to get out of bed self medicating with alcohol and was a general mess, to being able to get back to work and get back to life. I was on various anti d's for several years before benzos were even spoke about. I spent my days researching and researching on sites much like this one. This peaked my curosity and I started learning pharmacology. I was then able to disscuss my symptoms with my DR and with his consent treated myself with various combinations of various benzos and anti d's. After the SSRI did'nt work we tried SNRI. We started to have some success with a combination of the 2. I then stablized. So went back to the drawing board.  I started out on a low dose of diaz, that did'nt work we upped the dose too 10mgx4 daily. Bingo I could start functioning again. Imediatlely went on to a reducing dose. Then the Diaz stopped working and rather up the dose again i switched to 1mg Lorazepam, then dropped to .5mg Lorazepam. When the Lorazepam stopped working, I switched again to Chlordizpoxide again reducing at a pace I was comfortable with once I got down to 5mg Chlor daily I was then able to take 5mg every other day. I'm now benzo free and it's because I used the most appropiate benzo for where I was mentally, because I went from the stronger benzo with more effects down to a weaker one with less effects down to nothing took about 18months. Sorry to hear you suffer from insomnia, would'nt wish it on anyone, but it's your choice not to take anything, Which i can't understand because used properly medications work simple aas that.
    • Posted

Have you looked into to CBT or NLP therapy ??? CBT really helped me especially when I came of the benzo. What was the benzo they gave you ??
    • Posted

Yes I do agree some ssris work very well 9 years ago I was put on Effexor within 2 weeks my life was back.now for some reason none of these work I get stiff muscles and chills I would give anything to find one that worked but this is like playing russian roulette with your brain. I know I have been on about six of them, all now have intolerable side effects God bless those they work for,About 50% they are the blessed ones.
    • Posted

First dr xanax second dr ativan 60 pills take these instead didn't work no instructions first dr back to x then I asked for the diszepam so I could reduce.she gave me 10 mg and told me the 2 mg diid not exist knowing this a lie I found this new dr his plan is scary as hell.Take both for 2 weeks the stop the d and take just the t we will reduce off of that.Really!!! two benzos at once. 
    • Posted

Yes that makes ALOT of sense to me. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but what your actually doing is reducing your bodies dependency on the Diaz by giving it (your brain) something else to do. Distracting it if you will. so your on 10mg Diaz and 7.5mg of the clozazepate (Trax), is that right? FYI 7.5 Trax is about the same as 5mg of Diaz. Have faith, in my opinion (again not a DR) it sounds like a solid plan, but your gonna have a few bumps along the way, and a few sleepless nights. Look at all the different stop smoking aids out there. They all have one thing in common . They all have nicotine in them. You gotta stick it out for at least 2 weeks, but if you start to feel worse (i mean much worse) call the DR. First few days are gonna be a bit rough, but you should start feeling better after 2-3 days.
    • Posted

The dr just called me back he said to take both if to strong take half the d this for two weeks the way he explained it is the t works on the receptors in a different way in a sense blocking them then reduce off the 7.5 t he says this is the protocol. 
    • Posted

Is your doctor a  benzo wise doctor . By the sounds of things he is not .

• Posted

Follow your DR instructions see how things are in a weeks time. I'll be amazed if your not feeling better.
    • Posted

Can I suggest you read The Ashton Manual chapter2 section 2 (2) Switching to a long-acting benzodiazepine​. Might help.
    • Posted

Help with what!!!!! My insomnia. You are joking are you not. You have no idea what hell i went through in coming off my original benzo.

And do you realise the harm that benzos are doing to people. If i sound angry well i really am. I have spoken to people who's lives have been ruined by these drugs in more ways than one. I honestly dont think you realise how benzos really work and what they do to people long term. I do.

• Posted

I apoligize my intention was not too offend you in anyway. No I don't know what hell you went through.

​I was in fact offering evidence of what Carol's DR was saying in his tretment plan. A plan I agree with. I know (honestly as you put it)  what I'm talking about (having being one of those people who was in rehab myself)  I also  believe that you are confusing the subject matter. We are not talking about Addictive or problematic nature of benzos, but of the correct (personalised) reduction plan under proper medical supervision in an investigative manner.

• Posted

I dont need to taper . i am thankfully benzo free for nearly 32 months and

have no intention of going through what i did go through again. Your apology is accepted.Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.