hearing voices again

Posted , 3 users are following.

Am fed up, stopped taking rispirdone 4 months ago and have just got back to myself again, but have low level voices again. I am bi polar and hated being on an anti psychotic, but have put myself back on 0.5mg which is making the voices quieter. Just wanna be me ole self againsad. Had a really hard and long withdrawal from it, but Don't wanna end up in hospital again.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In my experience a lot of people if not everyone rails against having to take daily pills, and are always trying to come off them  - I once threw my anti-depressants into a bin on holiday and ended up having my first manic episode when I got home. i've seen a lot of people doing the same or going through this phase (I used to help run Chiswick Manic D Fellowship). I think eventually you have to resign yourself to needing to take something to combat an illness beyond one's ability to control. - possibly not the medication prescribed! Oh God you gorra laugh. Never give up! Never surrender!
    • Posted

Hi Gillian, thanks for replying. Yeah, you are right, I increased my rispiridone to 1 mg and its helping. I take lithium and citalopram too, for my bi polar. I had years when I did not need the anti psychotic, but am 44 now and looks like I need them now. Is hard be cause am used to not being drugged up. Working is harder when you are on antipsychotics, but at least I still have a job. Never surrendersmile How bout you, do you suffer with this illness? Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Louise I'm bi-polar type 2 ie mildly manic and regularly depressed. But I'm good when I'm cheerful! Only got a diagnosis at 40 (57 now) after my second breakdown at work - I retired from paid employment 4 years later after the 4th although that last job i had was the best I ever had, running a homelessness project). Anyway, I now live on benefits but I'm renovating an old farmhouse with the eventual hope of opening a classy and unique and suitably eccentric B&B in rural Sussex.  I've been through various meds, including valium! at 19 but luckily didn't like it. Was on Lithium for 2 years but I felt it made no difference to the slow drifts into and out of depressions. Then I was on Depakote and Lamotrigine for a while but together they made me very forgetful and then I was just on Sertraline for 4 or 5 years with a brilliant Psycho to talk to. IAfter she left, I got so depressed in 2012 I asked to change medication and got put on Venlafaxine which did't work at all for 6 long months until Lamtrorigine was added (but I got to go to The Priory!) I sat and watched the Olympics weeping. I've stayed on this combination since then, though nothing I've ever been on has stopped me getting episodes of depression, mostly over the winter. I'm on a wobbly platform right now - I guess I'll never be a really happy bunny what I've realised over time is that STRESS is the factor that send me into depression/gets my chemicals in a downward spiral. I HATE it, but I'm lucky I suppose not to be worse off. CBT (aka Count Your Blessings) is one of my chief survival mechanisms. Cheers Louise, keep in touch if you want Gillian x
    • Posted

Hey Gillian, thanks for replying. Sounds like you have been through it too. I think I am bi polar one, as me dad had it and so does my cousin. I got diagnosed after I had my daughter in 93 as I had postnatal psychosis. I have been in hospital a few times over the years, but had 16 years where I just took lithium and citalopram. Are you on an anti psychotic too? I was on venlafaxine, but came off it and went back on the citalopram. Good luck with your B & B, that sounds really goodsmile

• Posted

Hi Louise, I am not a fellow sufferer but I have two close bipolar friends and have been doing a lot of research into this and other related subjects. I have discovered that a large number of cases of psychatric disorders can be directly linked to gut problems and a toxic overload of one's body. I have a lot of litterature on natural ways to cleanse and heal the body, as the saying goes "you are what you eat" and "what goes on your skin goes in". We are contaminating our bodies daily and it would seem that your condition could be just one of many ways in which the body expresses this overload. Please consider this carefully and should you need any more info I will be happy to answer you.

All the best,

Carolyn  

• Posted

Thanks for replying Carolyn, had not thought of that. I like herbal teas and take omega capsules.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.