Heat makes MS symptoms worse but does anybody find that the cold makes them worse and not heat?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Heat intolerance is one of the symptoms of MS but does anyone find it's the cold that makes slurred speech,bad vision & slow movement worse?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yeah, I find that any extremes of temperature exacerbate my pain in the rear (often literally) symptoms. MS, the gift that keeps on giving ❗
  • Posted

I too find too hot or too cold, mum couldn't bear the cold. I get too hot at night I don't sleep well anyway. Someone told me about cold vests but mum and dad bought be a ckay oack you can freeze or heat, brilliant if you've room in your freezer.
  • Posted

I find that as soon as September begins and the temperature even begins to drop, my walking and leg control goes all to hell. After either a bath or shower, I lose most of the power from my legs, until I cool down again, then it tends to be a bit 'juddery' for a while. The worst thing was when my temperature spiked up to 102° (bladder infection), the fever pretty much stopped control of my legs, I couldn't stand/walk till the fever broke. It scared the hell out of me.
    • Posted

A too hot bath makes my back spasm and my legs bad too sad I have nobody to talk about it to, my Dr is always rushed and the new neuro says they've lost my notes and disagrees with my Dr so I don't bother going I'm.in daily anxiety. I truly feel for everyone with this illness.
    • Posted

Considering how stress sensitive MS is, I really recommend finding some kind of relaxation exercises, that may help. anything that causes tension should, wherever possible, be avoided. The obvious exception being dealing with those in the 'caring profession'. Before finally taking medical retirement, I had a few counselling sessions, the counsellor helped me see, that while I was regularly getting upset, I hadn't actually cried about what had happened. Never underestimate the need to deal with your emotions.
  • Posted

The cold has made my feet hurt.
    • Posted

While my pain levels certainly spike, both neuro and muscular, I've also developed 'secondary Raynaud's' too, which affects my hands and feet, and to a lesser extent, my ears and the tip of my nose. Raynaud's is more a nuisance than anything and that can be done is to avoid cold temperatures, I'd recommend reading about it, it might be what's happening to you.
    • Posted

whay color are your finger nails and hands, how do they look. Do you get blisters on your upper lip in the winter time?
    • Posted

When my fingers get cold, they go a very pale yellow, as the capillaries shut down. They look the same colour as Edam cheese(?!) No blisters, but my skin is very allergy prone, ho-hum⚠
    • Posted

As MS is both a neurological AND autoimmune condition, it's crazy just how many ways it can affect each of us. Keeps us all on our toes, I suppose.
  • Posted

My speech slurs when I'm bad nit when I'm cold and when I accidentally have aspartame. I get dry eyes too, the right us worse but I got a cyst and infection in the.left, optician said was Arthritis linked,
  • Posted

I had a heat/cold test many years ago and the result was that I could not feel heat as much as the cold (my husband has to check the temperature of the shower before I get in!). When we lived in the UK I was using walking sticks and was in a wheelchair alot, my husband had to give up working in the winter to take care of me. We live abroad now, have done for 10 years, and though my mobility is slower and the fatigue has got worse, I do not suffer the intense pain that I did back then. I have been accussed of not having MS because I suffer less in the heat, but my medical reports will say otherwise. I think I have read before that MS is less prominent in countries that have a warmer climate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.