Hello everyone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 

My name is David, I have just joined. Wonder if you could advise please. I have had a ramp up of my gerd symptoms after a silly couple of nights 2 weeks ago. I have one sided pain radiating from the right side of my neck, but the main one is gnawing ear pain that goes into the jaw. It's lasted over a week now, I have started taking my Lanzoprazole for the last week. No loss of weight, no problem swallowing, had an endoscopy 2 years ago and had mild inflammation in the lower part of my esophagus. Can anyone suggest anything to ease the pain in the ears please or is it just a case of waiting for the PPI to heal the burn??

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I believe Gerd and LPR can be linked closely to ear pain and possible middle ear infections??
  • Posted

I find Gaviscon helps in conjunction with the PPI when I get a flare up.

Mine flared up almost a month ago and it still hasn't quite settled down, a waiting game I am afraid.

• Posted

I'm guessing you lie on your right side?

Sounds like your problems could be from reflux travelling the full length of your oesophagus and breaching the upper oesophageal sphincter in what's known as extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly known as LPR).

If you raise the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches and sleep on your left side, you're less likely to get reflux. But make sure you leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed to minimise the conents of your stomach, too.

PPIs are good for reducing acid but not for reducing reflux.

• Posted

I already lay on my left side. Never could lay on my right. On the rest,  you are right as this is what my surgeron said. I have my head raised up some but Can't raise it too hight because of neck surgery much earlier......and my Synovial surgery is still healing. My upper right leg  especially in the back of my leg....and less often my left upper leg buzzes .....if you know what I mean. I get so very tired of this buz and my chest feeling heavy and sometimes on fire, but what can I do?.
  • Posted

First of all. I hate to be dumb, but what is PPI?

I am taking 2 Pantoprazole per day and used to take others in the past. I find it hard to sleep and to not eat at night and in a long line for hietial hernia operation. Raising the head of the bed at night helps some. My only solution for me to is stay up along as you need to ....hang loose and don't sweat the small stuff. It makes things worse.  I watch what I eat ..no spicy things;

Good luck.

David

• Posted

PPIs = Proton Pump Inhibitors. A Proton Pump (properly "H+/K+ ATPase" ) is the method of ion exchange signalling between cells. In the stomach, Parietal cells receive signals from Histamine H2, gastrin and acetylcholine to produce acid by pumping Hydrogen ions into the stomach producing highly concentrated hydrochloric acid with a pH just under 1.

PPIs inhibit the H+/K+ (hydrogen and potassium) exchange. H2 blockers (Histamine H2 Receptor antagonists, eg ranitidine (Zantac)) less efficiently block the histamine signalling for the production of the acid.

There are many different PPIs (omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprazole, dexlansoprazole, ilaprazole, picoprazole, tenatoprazole, timoprazole) but with two exceptions all research has shown them all to be as effective as each other at reducing acid when taken in comparative doses. The two exceptions were Astra Zeneca sponsored trials where 40mg esomeparzole (Nexium) wre compared with 20mg omeprazole and 30mg lansoprazole. They insist that's the equivalent dose, contrary to what all others assert.

• Posted

Of course, you know, much of what you said was greek to me, ha. But, at least I have a idea now. Is there  best one? I will try most anything. I take pantoprazole now. Now it 2 per day.
  • Posted

Hello

Thank you for your replies. I never sleep in anything other than on my left side?

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.