Hiatus Hernia Surgery

Posted , 95 users are following.

I'm due to go in for surgery on Wednesday and a bit terrified as I always feel like I am choking when I eat food and the only way I can cope is by getting sick....not being able to do this after surgery has me freaked out bit time. Just hoping that the positives of having this done will take away the feeling of having food lodged in my throat and I can have a normal life. I've had this condition since I was 16 and I'm 39 now. Hopefully I will get better after this. Anyone going through this too or have gone through this and come out the other side? Could use some positive vibes right now.

6 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Steph

How did your surgery go? Are you any better? Which nhs hospital did you have it done at?

• Posted

I'm having the esophageal hiatal hernia surgery next month. Did you have it done if you did how are you doing now if you did have it would you do it again

• Posted

Hi 

My name is margarita, I have esophageal hiatal hernia surgery also for a year now . The dr said mind is small , and I hate it . I had a friend have the surgery done , she told me not to do the surgery , she siad she would not put that on anyone to do . 

• Posted

Surgery went well thanks. I had it done at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. I was out by Saturday. The following week was hell, pain but couldn't take the pain meds as they made me sick, can't throw up anymore so it was just awful. Had to go to my GP to get anti nausea meds which worked thankfully but decided to just deal with the pain and not take pain meds as the nausea was so bad. It is now week three and I'm still not 100% but praying that things will get better. I am on a liquid diet and struggle to swallow even mashed potatoes at this stage and can only eat half a pot of yogurt at any time as I just get too full.

Are you having this surgery done or have you had it done?

• Posted

Hi steph.how are you now 12 months after surgery.was it worth it.i have just been told i have a sliding hiatus hernia, my constant sore throat from reflux is ruining my life,think ill need an op but so much negativety about it on here and from my gp.take care
    • Posted

I can honestly say the surgery has had a wonderful positive impact on my life. No more reflux, no more pain. Truly blessed out, the few months of recovery time and eating baby food and liquids to allow my stomach to heal was worth it. Several years on and living a healthy active life and eating like a normal person. Take care and it is worth it👍

• Posted

I'm glad to hear surgery went well for you. I'm going to have surgery this month

• Posted

I had the surgery a month ago, pain only when eating fast, but a few days ago nausea is preventing me to eat at all. Monday I will have an IV to help me with hydration and some energy.

Did u have problems with nausea? Only see or think about food made me nauseated...

My doctor gave a different medicine, that controlled the symptom, but worry anout what will happen if I stop taking it.

Any advise?

Anybody with same symptoms after surgery?

Thank you in advance 😊

• Posted

Hi Steph. I hope you still doing well and your life is back to normal after surgery. I was just wondering if you still the names of the surgeons and would you still recommend them. If you can reply I would appreciate it. Thank you 
    • Posted

Hi, sorry for jumping in but I had my surgery at the end of April. I had it done at the Nuffield in Leicester by Mr Exon. Obviously I have nothing to compare against 😊 but I'd highly recommend Mr Exon and his team.  He also performs the operation on the NHS but I wanted it done quickly due to work etc. 

I've had some bloating since surgery but it's 100% better than having the reflux which would wake me up several times every night. The after care has been great too, I've seen Mr Exon twice since the surgery and have been asked to call in a couple of weeks to update him on how it's going. He just wants to check that it's all settled down. 

I don't regret having surgery and would recommend having it done if it's an option. Good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi there, I have HH/GERD/Silent and am looking into this.  Which op did you have Fundo or Linx.  The Linx iss only available at 3 hospitals here in UK (think one is Cornwall) I am Manchester and there is a Private Clinic which do it for £9,000 - yikes.  From reading Linx is less invasive.  Let me know which you had.

Thanx and regards.................G.

• Posted

Hi, the Linx wasn't discussed as an option so I had the fundoplication; maybe because I was initially going to have it done on the NHS!?! It was approx £5,500 to have in done privately (including one follow up appointment). It was done by keyhole and so I have 5 little scars and the recovery time is quicker than open surgery. 😊

• Posted

I'm so happy for you . I hope you forever feel good.  To be honest I'm really worried about having one done cuz of my constantly going online and reading so negative comments. I know the operation doesn't go the way it should of some people, but at the same time it changes the lives of some for the better. And I was in Leicester a year that's where my acide reflux started. I live in Southampton so bit farm. Can you give me some more information about the doctor and the hospital and how long was ur waiting time for the operation. Thank you 

• Posted

Hi there. I've been getting update emails from following the thread and have noticed someone mentioned they were going to have the operation done on the NHS.  Do you know how long the waiting list is on the NHS? Also how long was you in hospital for? 

I have had Reflux for 15 years and a 5cm HH the consultant I saw in May has arranged the ph monitoring which failed the first time but was clear the second time and he put me on the waiting list for surgery. My partner has private health care which I am on and am wondering also if I go privately what the difference would be other than the cost? 

• Posted

I was referred by my doctor to the consultant a couple of years ago. The doctor was reluctant to refer as she didn't feel that anything would be done as the medication was working at that point. 

The first letter I received from the hospital agreed with the doctor, but then months later I received an unexpected appointment. By this time the medication wasn't working properly...my symptoms seemed to be worse with stress and it was a particularly stressful time at work.  

My appointment was in September and it was confirmed at the End of March that I could have the surgery (in between those dates I has an oesophagus function and ph test...which to be honest, were the worse part of the process). I'd already previously had an endoscopy to confirm that it was a hiastus hernia. Mr Exon (my consultant) couldn't confirm when an appointment for surgery  would become available, he did say he currently had a theatre slot available in July but there were a couple of others waiting. The date would also depend on what other emergencies came in, as understandably,  they would take precedence.  I asked about when it would be able to done if I went private and was told it could be done at the end of April. This worked better so that I could arrange cover at work, and so I had the operation at the Nuffield in Leicester and Mr Exon performed the surgery. 

Things are SO much better since the surgery, and although I am more bloated and uncomfortable at times, it's better that the daily reflux and having to take medication.  

I hope that helps 😊 But if you'd like any more information, I'm happy to share.  I nearly talked myself out of needing the operation beforehand from visiting the forums, only because people tend to share their experiences to warn others; I'm so glad that I didn't back out. 😊

• Posted

I was going to have the surgery on the NHS but decided to go private in the end. The same surgeon completed the operation but my main reason for choosing to go private was the ability to choose a time to have it done so I could arrange cover with work. At the time when my consultant confirmed he would do the operation, the waiting time was approximately 3-6 months, but then that would depend on whether any emergencies came in.  Privately I waited 3-4 weeks. 

I was only in hospital one night, but because of my work, was signed off for 12 weeks.  After a couple of days I did feel like I could return to work...not realising how effective the drugs were lol 😂 

Mr Exon (my consultant) couldn't confirm when an appointment for surgery  would become available, he did say he currently had a theatre slot available in July but there were a couple of others waiting. The date would also depend on what other emergencies came in, as understandably,  they would take precedence.  I asked about when it would be able to done if I went private and was told it could be done at the end of April. This worked better so that I could arrange cover at work, and so I had the operation at the Nuffield in Leicester and Mr Exon performed the surgery. 

Things are SO much better since the surgery, and although I am more bloated and uncomfortable at times, it's better that the daily reflux and having to take medication.  

I hope that helps 😊 But if you'd like any more information, I'm happy to share.  I nearly talked myself out of needing the operation beforehand from visiting the forums, only because people tend to share their experiences to warn others; I'm so glad that I didn't back out. 😊

• Posted

Sorry...somehow my last response copied a previous response too! 😂 I tried to delete it but couldn't 😂😂😂😂

• Posted

Hi sorry to jump on this post but I literally had surgery 2 weeks ago but am not far from you I'm In Portsmouth, had it done in QA and my surgeon was very good. I'm only week 2 into it and already can say it was so worth it. I would highly recommend it.

• Posted

That's amazing. I'm glad it's going well for you. Do you know the name of the surgeons who performed the surgery?? I would appreciate it. Thanks 

• Posted

Hi kadlhs. Glad u doing well. Do you remember the surgeons name who performed you surgery. I would really appreciate it if u can reply back to me ones u the here again. Thank you 
    • Posted

Hi, I am just now getting

Consults on getting my

Hiatal Hernia repaired.

I have a 9cm hernia and

Cameron lesions

Bled and I needed blood. Any

Suggestions I would appreciate

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I have 8cc hiatal hernia and Cameron ulcer also.  I was hospitalized for a week and 3blood transfusions, they put me on iron pills for severve enemia. I feel better and my red blood cell count is up to 11.5 normal range from 5 count dangerous. I'm meeting with surgeon on Nov 2nd to schedule surgery. Will let you what happens. Make sure you take iron pills its important.  I will have surgery at Fairffax Hospital in Fairfax Virginia (Washington DC suburbs)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.