Hip labrum tear and guided steroid injection help

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi

i have a labrum tear and cam impingement to my right hip. I was diagnosed by MRI. 6 days ago i received a fluroscopic guided hip injection but it doesnt seem

to have helped. I can just about walk around the house but if i walk im in lots of pain. Im thinking of seeing if swimming sloe msy help.

Any advice on the steroid injection / time takes to kick in is appreciated.

thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria, how are you getting on?

I have the exact same thing as you (tear and cam). I suffered with hip pain beginning in Janaury 2020. Due to COVID, I didn't get to see a consultant until November 2020 when my MRI diagnosed the tear and cam. By this point, my pain had reduced on its own, from about 9/10 to about 3/10 . I went ahead with the injection in December and have had very little/no pain since then. My injection worked within 2-3 days. I now do yoga daily and do not have any trouble with my hip, although i anticipate the pain returning at some point. i will definitely have another steriod inj if it does come back.

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Steroid injection made no difference at all too my labral tears which jam and click at times very painful, mri shows tears which are becoming worse with physical work, in my case at 64 I have impingement on both hips which basically means for some reason both hip bones have a bump on each one which as I understand it eventually wear down and weaken the labral muscles that help hold our hips together and also hold a natural hip lubrication so sadly as the labral muscles rip more the lubrication is being lost as well.

the options appear to be 1-leave it and be careful from now on especially activities that will rip and tear them more,

2-the above plus make your own straps that help hold the tears somehow especially if going to do activity that could make more tears

3- surgery that from my study suggests not to do it as you may very well end up in far more pain permanently!although we all know physical activity is meant to be very good for us but I regret it as now my tears are both more and worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.