Horrible side effects. Desperate for input!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've been experiencing horrible anxiety and panic attacks for 2 months now. Finally saw a psychiatrist and was put on Fluoxetine 10mg plus a benzo. At this point I am supposed to up it to 20mg but the side effects I am having are making me question that. Since I started these meds (a week and a half ago) I have not had more than 3 hours of sleep a night. I've had more panic attacks in a week than I've ever had. My anxiety is a lot worse than it was before starting the meds, I can't even leave my house. I've lost 5 pounds in a week because I can't eat anymore. I'm also constantly nauseous and have a horrible dry mouth.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I know it takes 4-6 weeks for the medicine to show signs of working, but I don't think I should be feeling this bad after one week. I'm wondering if anyone else had these horrible side effects before feeling better. I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with these side effects.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

This is perfectly normal.  The meds heighten your anxiety plus other things for a while - it'll settle down in time.  It's not nice I know.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Caryn, I am exactly the same as yourself, I have lost over a stone in weight, been the doctors this morning, and he says there is nothingwrong with your health, I also have no appetite, but do try and eat, the trouble is I go the toilet more than I eat, I think the side affects are horrible, till they get into your system, which takes different lengths of time for different people, so I have read on here.... I myself have been taking Fluoxetine now for 5 weeks and 3 days, had a reasonably good day on Tuesday, but not one since, maybe that's how it starts, do go calmer of a night, but still have very broken sleep... Hang on in there, it might be quicker for you, I think it might depend on how long you have been ill, or whats made you this way, to how long they take to take proper affect, some people on here say it can take a couple of months....... Hilary x

• Posted

How long have you been on the 10mg? I was just put on Prozac also about 2 weeks ago. It made my anxiety worse and nauseous, which I stay that way. I think it went away after about a week or a little more. My doc is taking me off of it because she said it can be an activating drug. Which I am titrating off of Paxil also, which is the worst SSRI to get off of. You may want to try it a little longer or maybe ask your doc to let you stay at the dosage you're on a little longer. I'm on 5 mg now and I was at 10. I'm not really sure I want to go off of it and go to Lexapro like she's thinking because I've seen a lot of people on this forum have side effects from Prozac like that. It eventually wets off. I was on Prozac a little over 20 years ago and never had this problem. I'm wondering if it's these generic drugs. I have found that these generic drugs are not all the same. They'll have the same active ingredient, but they can have different inactive ingredients and that can make a difference. I have been going through being homebound since July 2015 because my Paxil just stopped working. Doctors didn't want to take me off the Paxil and wanted to add an antipsychotic, but I've seen the side effects of those drugs and didn't want to take them. I was admitted into the hospital about 3 weeks ago now and the doc put me on Cymbalta CR and dropped my Paxil 10 mg, which I thought was a lot at one time considering I had been on Paxil 15 years. He actually said Prozac and Cymbalta are the same drug except Cymbalta is an SSNRI. Cymbalta was keeping me from sleeping, but Prozac hasn't.
  • Posted

Thank you all for the imput. I've only been on it for about a week and a half. Today seems to be my worst day so far. I'm feeling so hopeless and extremely panicky. I was put on a benzo to decrease the anxiety/panic side effect but I still feel horrible.

I was on lexapro in the past for depression and it didn't help me. It just made me gain a ton of weight so I'm trying to steer clear of it. The only other option medicine wise would be Zoloft.

• Posted

It will get better it takes time just have to stick it out the side effects wear off

Are you taking fluoxetine in the morning or night, are you taking it with food or without

Your body needs to adjust it takes 4-8 weeks to feel normal again

I just had my pills increased and I have had some side effects as well

Day one of the new dose I had anxiety I was sad and really lethargic and had headaches

The next day I was still lethargic and had anxiety and still had headaches

Day 3 the same

Day 4 irritable, mood swings

Day 5 upset stomach

Day 6 today- I'll let you know smile

Gradually side effects do go away it's worth the wait

• Posted

I take it in the morning right after I eat breakfast. I basically force myself to eat because my dr said take it on a full stomach. My first day I felt great and even the second day wasn't so bad. But right now, I'm the worst I've been and I'm supposed to increase the dose. I'm honestly afraid to do that.
    • Posted

I tried taking it in the morning and I could barely function and I was so drowsy

Try taking it before bed with a snack it made a world of difference! And it helps you sleep

Don't be afraid to take a higher dose I just had mine increased and because the lower dose is already in your system the side effects are temporary and gradually go away

If this is going to help you over time you have nothing to lose any medication will take time to adjust to

You owe it to yourself to feel better

• Posted

I feel like if I take it at night I won't sleep. I never had trouble sleeping and since I started taking it, I can't sleep longer than 3 hours.

Hoping to speak to my doctor soon. Appreciate all the tips smile

• Posted

Hi caryn...I'm on day 29 today..but on day 5 of my upped dose to 40mg of flu. I have felt horrible from day 1...but keep reading it will get better..so I'm sticking to it...I also have horrible anxiety and panic.i lost 30lbs. I still can't eat much...and have to take xanax to drive or else I wouldn't be able to..because I have to come to work..praying it will get better..right now I feel groggy and bobble headish from the upped dose..keep staying in touch..so we can see your progress.
    • Posted

Thank you for the imput. With out leaving my house I need Xanax and that's just with the 10mg of the flux. So, I'm very afraid to up my dose.
    • Posted

My anxiety was caused to stress at work...but I don't know how I managed to keep coming to work.....I've done it since March now..so i figure a couple of more weeks won't kill me....I keep telling myself I will be fine..try to keep busy.do exercise..eat better...I try not to take xanax..as my gp has scared me that it's addicting...but I have to.my doc also GA e me beta blockers but I don't think k it helps. But let's keep focused...addicting and positive and cheer each other on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.