How does anyone eat???

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am not completely adverse to losing a few pounds but I genuinely still feel so sick to my stomach on day 6 - I have absolutely no energy whatsoever because I can't eat. Did anyone else feel like this? I don't think it is helping my recovery.

Also wondered if anyone else had significant knee and calf pain at this stage? My knee was perfect before op, but now the knee is competing clearly for attention. Would be reassured if this is all normal. I wonder if the surgeon took a hammer to it in hope of more business!! smile

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There was a point in my recovery (before I started noting things in my blog), when I had hardly anything to eat due to upset stomach caused by the meds.

It passed after a day - I guess yours is lasting longer?

Graham

• Posted

I was off my food for a week if the calf pain carries on the Dr to check you haven't dvt the knee pain could be just brushing, make sure you keep your pain meds up, you are very early days things will get better xx
  • Posted

Just eat little and often. And your appetite will return. The pain I'm sure will go, I had dreadful pain in my thigh. Just remember its early days, just had a thought are you on medication that could surpress appetite
  • Posted

I'm sorry Rose. I was not sick but I was exhausted all the time, still am somewhat 14 weeks today. If you had general anesthetic you may be having after affects, doctor can give you something for nausea but the after affects might hang in there for a month or so. Yes, my knee hurt not calve but they do move you around while dislocating and hammering and sawing your bones. Ice ice ice, good pain killer. Good luck, it will get better...
  • Posted

Hi rose, sorry to hear you are feeling sick. I am 7 weeks post op and I had nausea and extreme tiredness after this 2nd op. I didnt feel like this after my first but I think not only are we all different but each operation you have can have a different recovery.  Yes I had nausea in hospital but this time it continued when I got home and although we all get very tired to begin with I didnt want to do anything and could hardly manage to exercise some days.

As i gradually stopped taking my pain meds as I didnt need them I still wasnt feeling much better. In the end I was just on blood thinners and paracetemol. I even went to the doctors who did blood tests as she thought I was anaemic (I wasnt). It was only after I had finished the course of blood thinner tabs that I started to feel better. So it might have been the meds but I didnt want to risk not taking the blood thinners.

Your knee pain could be due to being more mobile since your op but I would   keep a check how your calf pain is over the next couple of days and if you have any other symptoms - temperature etc get in touch with your doctor.

Hope you will soon be feeling brighter

Linnet x

Ps I lost over half a stone as I didnt eat much for a while and since feeling better I have already put half of it back on again - sigh - hopefully more exercise will help this 😀

• Posted

Rose, have you discussed how you are feeling with any of your medical advisers, either at the hospital or at your GPs?  There is all kinds of medication you could be given to prevent the sickness and there are other painkillers that might be better for you.  This will definitely be hindering your recovery and you need all the strength you have to recover.

getting  pain elsewhere is not unusual at all but you should be getting help for it.

Please do ask for help and then accept any help offered.

• Posted

Check calf pain for DVT. Knee pain happened to me

I never felt sick, just exhausted and my husband was doing all the cooking at this stage so I felt duty bound to eat it! 

Feeling sick is horrible, try just to eat little and often.

it should disappear soon

• Posted

poor you,

The first two weeks post op are uncomfortable to say the leasst. Also quite frightening for a while. Try not to worry, this phase will soon pass and you will regain your appetite soon.

Knee and calf pain and other aches and pains are fairly normal - the surgery itself is quite physically challenging.

Hugs

Shirley

• Posted

Dear Rose, just go with the very light meals, when you feel like something to eat, forget about normal meal times for a while, have a omelet, some yoghurt, (its really good for healing) after cancer hysterectory, Dr said get stuck into yoghurt when you get home. Yes no energy is the normal, I'm afraid, you have lost your red blood making marrow (oxygen carrying) in your femur, and its going to take a while for body to adjust. Also you knee, mine was also sore, calf pain, if it gets hot and swollen and red, I would start to worry, or then than, its just all part of the knocking around during the surgery.
  • Posted

Day 7 for me!  Percocet made me very sick and extremely depressed. I came home the day after surgery feeling ok and then crashed pretty hard. Stopped the pain med and the nausea (and constipation) went away over the next 2 days. Depression took longer. Fatigue still here. While nauseated, I had a few soda crackers and toast with butter which tasted good. Snuck in a bit of egg a few times and an orange. Makes no sense; I just think you have to experiment. I will be cheering for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.