I got the flu and my eyes full of sticky stuff like cold

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.

I get flu shots every year and still get the flu worst than before flu shot. In May this year I got pneumonia and every time it affects my lungs.  Now I got flu again and my eyes are sticky with pus like. 

Salivary glands swollen and painful. And dry mouth. Taking antibiotics at the moment.

Does any one had this experience? What vitamins can I take to build my immune system? Vit c makes my mouth very raw and sensitive teeth also can't eat much fruit as my tongue burns.

Thanks for any info I can get

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you're ill, Sweetness. It must be absolutely miserable on top of your existing Sjogren's symptoms. Did the doctor prescribe the antibiotics?

If you're able to eat vegetables - especially the green, leafy kind - they're a better source of vitamin C and other anti-oxidants than fruit. But that's for the long-term. I know what it's like when you've actually got the flu - you don't want to eat anything at all. I firmly believe in garlic. I use a bit in cooking but I mainly take that famous brand of slow-release garlic all year round to increase my resistance to colds. Some people believe taking echinacea year-round works well too, though I've never tried it.

I'd be interested to hear what the general view is on vaccines. Personally, I never get vaccinated against either flu or pneumonia, as the purpose of vaccination is to stimulate the immune response, and it seems like a bad idea for those of who already have an over-stimulated immune system. There's also the problem that the annual flu vaccine is a hit-and-miss affair as it's only based on a guess as to which strain of the virus is going to come alone. That plus the fact that even if it works at the start of the season, the virus may mutate to get round it by mid-season. This latter point isn't true of the pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine, though. The pneumococcus organism isn't a virus, and doesn't mutate significantly.

That's about all I can offer, really on the medication front - apart from the hope that you'll soon be feeling better. Maybe I'll regret my refusal to get vaccinated against pneumonia one day, but I'll have to live with that (or even die with it, as the case may be!) The only thing that might change my mind on that front would be if I got a recurrence of the asthma attacks I suffered during two winters about 10 years ago. The asthma came out of the blue (well, not entirely - my family has a history of late-onset asthma) and really made my life miserable for two consecutive winters. I even had to use a steroid inhaler. Then it went away again as mysteriously as it had come. I never knew what all that was about!

There is, however, one common-sense thing that everyone can do to reduce exposure to colds and flu. Wash your hands every time you come in from a public plac. And don't touch your face, and especially your eyes, when in public places. I know this sounds over-simplistic but it's recommended by the WHO and it really works for me.

Get well soon!

• Posted

Hi Lily, yes my Doctor prescribe the antibiotics the same one that told me I need the flu shot every year. But I do discover since I started the flu shots it worked for the first year and after that I get more flu every year this year I got the flu 5 times in a space of couple months. I will not get take the shot next year.

Can I ask what is the name of the garlic tab you are taking? My Doc said no to echinacea I don't know why. 

I do get like asthma attack at night ever so often but my doc says Ital acid reflux that comes up but I don't believe that because I gasp for breath just like asthma. 

My problem is that I get lots of pus in the corner of my eyes and have to clean my eyes so many times a day that is how virus enters my body although I wash my hands before I touch my eyes.

I am going to see ENT doctor tomorrow for the salivary gland. 

Thank you you for your reply! 

• Posted

Hi Sweetness, I googled echinacea on a medical site as I didn't know a lot about it and I see it is indeed contra-indicated for sufferers of auto-immune conditions on the grounds it could over-stimulate the immune response (as some people say vaccination does).

In the early days of getting SS I used to have exactly the same eye problem as yours - a constant discharge of pus. It used to be near-impossible to stop myself rubbing my eyes, as I couldn't see properly through the sticky film. This is conjunctivitis caused by dry eyes. You're not producing a sufficient flow of tears to provide the natural rinsing of your eyes, so the residual tears get dry and sticky, encouraging growth of bacteria.

My ophthalmologist wasn't remotely interested (I hadn't actually been diagnosed with SS in those days) but my GP recommended hot compresses first thing in the morning. I have to say that didn't make much difference, other than make the skin around my eyes even more sore than it already was! She also used to prescribe chloramphenical (antibiotic) eye-drops but on the strict understanding I'd only use them in really bad attacks. The only thing that really seemed to help was using ordinary tear-replacement drops at frequent intervals throughout the day, though this was a nuisance too as I couldn't see through the drops half the time!

Fortunately this situation only lasted a year or so in my case. My entire 20-year Sjogren's history consists of getting very severe symptoms which last for a year or two then disappear, only to be replaced by a different symptom. I count myself very lucky. I've had some terrible symptoms over the years. I'd hate to have them all at the same time and feel very sorry for other SS sufferers who do.

I still get minor problems with dry eyes these days - including a nasty flare-up a few months ago. One thing I've found that helps is sea buckthorn oil (in capsule form that you swallow). It's well-known for helping with eye problems as well as joint pains. The latter is a bonus, because I've also been having a flare-up of RA for the last six months or so, and that's finally showing signs of improvement. Shira, who's also on these forums, has been trying it too. She initially said there'd been a very slight improvement in her serious eye problem, but then she found a better remedy for her swollen eye.

I'll send you the name of the garlic tabs via private message.

• Posted

Hi Lily, I went to my GP with my eye he gave me antibiotic he says its conjunctivitis . The salivary gland is still swollen this it's the biggest it's ever been I hoping to get a scan to check for stones.

My GP told me to stay away from echinacea. I do take sea buckthorn oil capsules along with a multivitamin , vit e, omega3. I do find that plaquenil makes my mouth dryer.

Regards 

• Posted

Do you think multivitamin will stimulate the immune system? The same I am not sure of the flu shot.
    • Posted

Hi Sweetness, Omega 3 is good for SS, and just about everything else as far as I can make out. I've taken it non-stop for 25 years now and I'm convinced it's partly contributed to my having had an easy ride with Sjogrens compared with a lot of people on here. Every doctor I've ever spoken to approves. I've also been taking sea buckthorn oil for about three months, and that seems to be helping too.

I've never tried echinacea myself, as I'm never been prone to colds and flu so haven't needed it. However, having researched it in response to your post, I definitely wouldn't think of trying it. My immune system definitely doesn't need stimulating!

Just one word of caution about sea buckthorn oil. This contains very high amounts of omega 7, an omega oil which we get very little of in a normal diet. This does raise a concern with me, in that we might not have the capacity to metabolise it long-term. If it's going to cause a problem I would expect this to show up in raised liver enzymes in blood work. I haven't shared with my doctor that I'm taking sea buckthorn oil - I don't want to worry him!wink However I'm currently on six-monthly blood tests anyway, and I always get a copy of the results, so I'll know if it's time to stop.

• Posted

Hi Sweetness,

I have the flu shot every year and as of yet have never had the flu.  I also had the pneumonia shot this year, supposedly you only need it one time in your lifetime now.  I was advised by my GP that because I have reactions to medications I must make sure that I have the injections every ear.  Sorry that you are feeling ill right now.  Hope you get better soon.

regards,

Mandy

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I will ask my GP if he can give me a pneumonia shot.

thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sweetness. 

I experience similar symptoms except I get flu-like symptoms off and on vs. getting the flu. 

My salivary glands swelled up recently and my dr put me on antibiotics and prednisone which helped. 

She also took me off hydroxychloroquine to see if it was working and have to say I feel better. It helps a lot of people but not for me. In addition, my eyes aren't sore anymore which is a common side effect of the drug.

For dry mouth care I brush and floss 3 x a day and rinse with biotene dry mouth wash. It helps. When my gums are inflamed I rinsh with warm salt water. As I understand it, and you'd want to check w/your dr, antibiotics make your mouth dry. They do for me. 

Having said that my stance is to not take any meds unless absolutey necessary. Over the last year I've been sick off and on and figured I'd deal with the symptoms w/out the meds since I get sick anyway.

Drinking a lot of water helps. 

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Keep your chin up. Tracy.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I wish I could come off the Meds i am on the same one and it does make my mouth dryer. Antibiotics does the same and make my mouth red and sore which I use salt water and biotene.

Thanks for your info stay safe.

• Posted

HI Sweetness - do whatever you can to manage your symptoms.  It's all so personal - what works for one may not work for the other.

Take good care and stay in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.