I have been suffering with pain, really bad heartburn!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently seen by a doctor who told me i might have H Pylori and was given meds.. I am also experiencing sore throat and my voice sounds hoarse..Is anyone experiencing this as well??

please help??!?

RONA

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rona,

What you describe are frequently reported symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux.

H-Pylori is a common cause for excess acid production. Have you actually been tested for H-Pylori? There are two or three simple tests for it and I think it irresponsible if your doctor just prescribes the two or three different anti-biotics to eradicate possible H-Pylori if not.

However, that probably isn't the main cause of your problem. Reflux is a mechanical action of stomach contents entering the oesophagus via a weak lower oesophageal sphincter and travelling full column to breach the upper oesophageal sphincter and hence aspirate into the respiratory system whence it can cause sore throats and hoarseness amongst a host of other symptoms.

Acid suppressant medication will make the reflux less harmful but probably won't reduce the reflux itself. For that you may need to make lifestyle changes.

Read the Reflux section of the free www DownWithAcid org uk book for ways to do this.

• Posted

Thank You!

No, I havent been tested for H-Pylori Yet.. I need to turn in my stool.. I am also having Watery Stools is that part of the symtoms?

RONA

• Posted

Hi Rona. Yes I have had the same symptoms and was referred for an endoscopy last month. I did have H Pylori and was given a week of two antibiotics and a month of lonsoprazole. Just coming to the end of the month and feeling much better. Have to go back to docs to see if I can now come off the meds.
    • Posted

I was also found to have a hernia and inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Perhaps you need to be referred for an endoscopy. I was fast tracked because I had previously had a gastric ulcer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.