I suffer from health anxiety and don't know how to cope!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and forums in general but they've become my last resort. I'm a 19y/o female and suffer from health anxiety and have since I was 14 and suffered from various bladder & digestive problems - most of which have cleared up but they have left me with horrendous anxiety problems!! sad my friends and family roughly know how I feel but I find it hard to have the right conversations with them to express my troubles! I've recently stopped working and because of this everything seems to have got 100x worse. Any suggestions on how to try and cope better? Thanks X

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I totally understand! I started getting health anxiety the last few years and it has gotten worse as well. Every little thing freaks me out now. I suffered this year from stomach issues and had to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Realized the culprit was dairy. I also had stomach ulcers. Then I very stupidly had unprotected sex with a guy I thought I was going to date. A week later I have had bacterial and yeast infections for six weeks straight and on here because I convinced myself I have herpes since the signs can be similiar. Ugh! I am finally off the medication and feeling better but I think the 6 weeks of antibiotics have made me crazy. I was literally feeling things and seeing things and then the symptoms would get better and then come back and then get better and come back. I feel so crazy! It's going to take a while for me to get back to feeling like my normal self. I started seeing a shrink last week because I was litterally driving myself crazy. I think if you can afford it or have insurance go see a psychologist or read some books to help you cope. Hang in there. Hugs! smile
  • Posted

I've had mine since I was 12 and now I'm 22. I for one have found the only way I can cope is if I have all the things I need checked off. A drink of any sorts in case I get dry mouth. Keys to get in my house. Something sweet in case I get dizzy. The main thing I need is keys to a car. If you have someone in your life that can either lend you the keys to their car or you yourself have a car, you can feel safe anywhere. Just hold the keys in your pocket and remember if you panic, you can sit in the car and have a minute, away from everyone, in your own little space. That's how I go about going places. Only problem is I'm super dependant on a vehicle being somewhere every time I go somewhere so it's not a very good coping mechanism. Sometimes there isn't a vehicle and I instantly panic. Ahh it's not fair sometimes. I hope you feel better knowing that you aren't alone. There are always people in worse positions though so you can feel happy about some things. I wish I had friends that understood me. For that I envy you. My family took about 5 years just to understand me. I wish you the best of luck mate. You need to conquer it before it conquers you. You don't want to be in a position like me. No friends left to care. Family getting fed up of you. You can beat it if you get on top of it. Sorry for getting a bit dark but you need to stay positive. I wish I followed my own advice lol

D

• Posted

As someone else suggested a good psychologist, or I'd even look up a good, licensed hypnotherapist to help adjust your thinking.  If you haven't seen someone professionally what are you waiting for - we're not here to do it all alone! smile  If you have seen someone and it didn't help..then find someone who you are comfortable with.  But as I'm sure you know, worrying about it and talking about it constantly without introducing change...will keep you stuck in the same behaviors. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.