I've been on Prozac for 5 weeks and having weird symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 20mg Prozac for 5 weeks now for panic disorder. It has helped with my panic attacks but has given me awful side effects. I feel like I'm just going through the motions, I don't feel real. I'm very forgetful now and I hate it. I also get muscle jerks, like my arm or leg will randomly jerk. I get dizzy spells as well. Do you think this is all from the meds? Should I change meds,dosage, or give it more time?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Im on day 5 and i feel good except that I feel more anxious and  get all panicky, sometimes i have like a rush of panic or a wave hit me and i have to try to relax. I get dizzy, i guess im sord of out of it. I take it at night and helps me sleep. In the day i have to take a xanax .25mg when i cant take the anxiety anymore because it almost feels as if my panic will make me pass out, weird to explain.
  • Posted

I would give it more time, I was advised by several people that it takes about 8 weeks to settle down. I'd say it took me about 10 weeks to stop feeling any obvious side effects.
    • Posted

my anxiety seemed to get a little better at first but I was really emotional, returned to work after 2 weeks but then my anxiety got worse than ever. couldnt sleep at all which didnt help and my thoughts were racing. evenyually i had more good days than bad, it took me the full 8 weeks to start feeling normal again. I had started to worry that it would never get better, although i had taken fluoxetine before i didnt remember it taking that long to kick in. I could barelyn leave the house this time, i finally returned to work after 10 weeks and feel like me again xx

• Posted

I'm having a hard time leaving the house too. Unless I take an ativan, which I try to avoid. It's been five weeks since I started these pills and it feels like a life time. I just want to feel normal again
    • Posted

it does get you down and feel like its endless, you just want to start feeling better and get on with things. Especially when you read that other people feel better quite quickly after taking them but we're all different and get different side effects. just give them more time they will work eventually xx
    • Posted

Yes exactly, I've read so many posts where people have felt better within a couple weeks! Not me unfortunately. I definitely will give them more time, thank you!
  • Posted

Fluoxitine is Prozac? I just started today
    • Posted

yeah they are the same thing, I meant that I had taken it previously, didnt mean to make it sound like it was something different sorry xx
  • Posted

Doc told me to give it max 4 weeks ,,,and he said it would be normal my anxiety would get worse before it got better,,, so im trying to hang on...
  • Posted

Yes hang on in there . ! I have been on florexatine now for 8 weeks , people kept telling me it would take time , and they were right. Everyone is different .I am on 20mg.And I am beginning to feel slowly better. !
  • Posted

Did you have nasty side effects too, mine are mostly more anxiety and panic.... like if the meds arent even working....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.