Just when you think it's ok..

Posted , 15 users are following.

Out of the blue i get panic attacks in situations where i would normally be ok! I also feel lightheaded when im out and about. Has this happened to anyone else where you feel you are coping and this awful anxiety and fear sweeps over you? I dont think my broken sleep helps plus having a phobia of open spaces dont help either but that is another story i have always had that. Are there anymore agrophobics out there? I do go out but hate open areas x

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are suffering. Out of the blue the panic attacks happen to me too. I used to love to be out but now i go out and then can't wait to get back home. I've never had an issue with anxiety before but it is wearing me thin. I used to have a lightheaded feelings when out to which can also be from anxiety. I just don't feel comfortable anymore. I have a script for Ativan but not really into pills if I don't need them. This anxiety stuff is the worst part of these symptoms for me.

• Posted

Dear Jamie

Yes it is for me, i have suffered with them as i said but it was a situation that did it and not out of the blue anywhere, i hate taking tablets and will see how i go x

• Posted

Hi reading your post is like reading about me, feeling this way now as have dentist this afternoon and have been asked to look after grand daughter due to family emergency, with this M.E. i cant hold her for long, glad hubby is around today to help out. But then i come over anxious when in doors in my own home, awful isnt.
    • Posted

Dear Susan,

Yes it is but nice to know we are not alone in this x

• Posted

yes..your not alone. That happens to me also. It was really bad but has gotten better. I went into Cosco and it happened..got alot of anxiety and had that passing out feeling. Ugh...I have really tried changing my diet..take maca every morning..fish oil..and so far it has helped. I also try to track it when it's worse..for me it's right after period..so maybe that's when my hormones are going more extreme. Just paying attention for me it helps. I hope I helped you..but your not alone!!
    • Posted

Dear Marisa

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is nice to know we are not alone. Yes i think hormones have alot to do with it! Im going to try to alter my diet, i do take fish oil but will try to cut caffeine down too x

• Posted

Any phobias and fears surface more during peri meno, because of hightened adrenalin in the body.
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine for your reply, it's nice to know that i'm not going mad, I'm trying to keep positive through this stage z
  • Posted

We were out this afternoon buying paint for our decorating jobs and I felt okay. But while I was in The Range, I started going dizzy. I kept calm and it passed but it's awful when that happens and sometimes it doesn't pass as quickly as that.

I can get something called Sick Building Syndrome where certain buildings cause me to feel faint, dizzy and sick. It's an actual condition with no known cause but certain people are affected by it. I know I am because it happens whenever I enter the same buildings, months/years apart. Today was different though and I'm just glad it passed quickly. I feel for you, it's awful.

• Posted

so, do you think it was the building syndrome that made you feel like that, or, was it the menopause? by any chance were you standing very still when it came on, or, was it whilst you were walking around? when we stand still, blood pools in our legs, so the brain isthen starved of oxygen, and as a result our blood pressure drops, its part of the menopausal symptoms, and it comes about due to dehydration, due to weeing a lot, and having high temperatures inside, all you have to do, if, it is this, is sit down, or if your stood in a queue of some sought, you just sway from one hip to the other, drinking plain water will help bring it the blood pressure back up, so, also carry bottled water with you, however,  if its your syndrome, what do you normally do then to feel better?? 

• Posted

Today definitely wasn't the syndrome. I've been in that shop several times and it's never happened before. I was very slowly shuffling around looking for the right place that I wanted but when I stopped, that's when the dizziness came on..only mild this time and thankfully it passed without me panicking. I'm terribly thirsty tonight too, and even though I'm Type 2 Diabetes, it doesn't normally affect my thirst. It could be the dehydration you mentioned here. 

With the syndrome, as soon as I leave a building that affects me, the feelings disappear and if I stick it out inside the building, they gradually lessen but if I go back after leaving a place, it comes back. It's very bizarre and I was embarrassed by it so when I discovered it had a name, I was a little relieved. Bizarre really but it is different to the dizziness I had today.

• Posted

Its your blood pressure dropping very low, it happens lwhen you come to a stop all of asudden, watch out for it happening as you get out of bed, quickly or, go from a sitting to an upright position too quickly, a sign afterwards is, you go thirsty, its caused by dehydration, due to hotter temps inside, plus weeing gallons, not putting the water back in right, causing low blood volume, that eventually causes our blood pressure to fall, making us lose balance, and dizzy, going hot and sickly is another sign, carry water with you to bring water levels back up, drink at least 2 ltrs a day, sipping every 10 mins, if you start weeing more, dont drink as much, as your then diluting and weeing out your salts, and with you being diabetic cant advise you to or anyone else to take extra salt in, as it will be bad for your diabetes, hope this helps.  
    • Posted

Dear Buggglybot

I know what you mean about certsin places, with me i know the more open they are the worse it is for me and artifical lighting makes me feel worse dont ask me why! Yes it is awful to feel like this and very limiting to where you want to go x

• Posted

It's funny you should say this elaine because this morning, while cleaning my teeth, the postman knocked. So I shot downstairs to get the door and it took me a while to come round. I was breathless and felt rubbish and then mad because just that small rush made me feel like that. I think I need to try the sipping method because otherwise, minutes later, I'm running to the toilet if I drink it in one go. Sipping might prevent that but still give me the water I need. It does help elaine and thank you.
    • Posted

I'm with you on the artificial lightigh pinkcatfairy. That can disorientate me quickly if it's too bright or there's too many lights overhead. It's good we can find this out so we can avoid situations like it if we need to but it's so frustrating that we have to do it in the first place x. 
    • Posted

Hi

Yes gulping water does make it go through quicker, however, if you wake during the night, and cant get off, especially if you wake feeling ill, like you have the flu, with your peri symptoms, if you get that, i want you then to switch to the gulping method,  half a glass only each time you wake, but only during the night, especially if you wake feeling like ive said,  but during the day, its 2 litres per day, sipping every ten mins, if you start to take in too much water, you will dilute your salts, messing up your electrolytes, so your suppposed to take in more salt, but i cant advise anyone to do that, if you have illnesses or, high blood pressure which; could be made worse.

Its all to do with how low blood volume and how it affects the blood pressure, and is a symptom during menopause, and this is why the water helps, i cant remember why were supposed to switch to gulping the water during the night, but it definately works for me, so try it and let me know how you get on, especially if you try it when you cant get off to sleep etc.  

If you google low blood volume, water drinks will come up for you to make, to help you replace all your electrolytes, its a good one to know when your on the menopause.

• Posted

I definitely need to drink more, even though I thought I drank quite a lot before. Great advice and explanation. Thank you Elaine x.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.