lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello

I am feeling desparate now.  I am on the steroid cream which doesn't seem to work.  Every time I have food with any sugar in it, being added or even fruit, it flares it up ridiculously.  I have huge white patches on my vagina and am losing weight every day.

I don't know what to eat and what not to!  I had a biopsy and the hospital are slow in giving results but they think its LS.  Quite frankly this is making me so ill.  I am stress from my son who is going through a GF breakup and I can't seem to help him.  I can't help myself.  My appetite has gone and I am now worried that I might get too skinny.  More than that, my LS is painful, and nothing seems to work.  What can I eat that won't flare it up worse?

I can't seem to get any help.  Does anyone have any suggessions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long have you been using the steroid?
    • Posted

Several weeks.  It's not really working.  I have severe white patches now.  And any sugar in food makes it itch and sore.  
    • Posted

I sympathize. This LS has taken me low at times. it takes some awhile to have significant improvement. Hang in there. It'll get better.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this, but keep striving to find a solution that works. I know giving up ALL wheat, in addition to sugar, helped. I also spray the area with a hydrogen peroxide/ saline solution mix after bathroom trips -- that I learned about here. That helped me TREMENDOUSLY, and seemed to put me in remission. It seems, from what I've learned here -- what works for one might not work for the other, so keep trying. Keep working the problem. Just my 2 cents' worth. I wish you success in this so you'll get relief soon.
  • Posted

I take a mild tranquilizer prescribed by my doctor,it helps to handle it and helps to relax. Stress tends to make flares worse.
  • Posted

Dear powerwoman,

It is not easy to live with LS, especially in the beginning.  The steroid cream will help you, but not in a few days or weeks.  We're talking months. And be careful not to use too much of it either.  More is not better.

Try to learn as much as possible from this site.  It will help you  to feel more confident in how to look after this condition.   

Furthermore:  My experience is that diet will only show a difference after a long period of time.  I'm talking months to a year.  

Try some of the household methods for further care, like baking soda baths and rinses.

Wishing you well. 

• Posted

My experience with diet was quite different. When I got onto the foods that were good for me and off the ones that were causing inflammation, the results came in within a couple of months and I had proof. I went to the dental hygienist for a regular check (this was maybe two months into the diet) and he was gob-smacked. "What have you done? Your tissues are so much healthier....yada, yada" (I had had bleeding gums until then.) He even called in the dentist to have a look. My gums haven't bled since, btw.

But I didn't figure out my dietary needs by myself. I had the help of an integrated practitioner who is both a GP and homeopath. A naturopath would be able to help you too.

• Posted

Indeed Andrea, the results can be in months, but further healing totally surprized me after a longer period of time.  Lichen Planus in my mouth was soon under control, after I discarded the toothpaste and started to brush with baking soda.  (that's where my initial thought came from for the rinses) With that I also did the coconut oil 'pulling'.  Still do it so now and then.  My dentist too was happy to inform me that the Lichen Planus looked under control.  But I need to keep paying attention.  

Later both my doctors, GP and nature path answered my question as to why baking soda 'works'.  Neither of them however had made a link to Lichen Planus and Lichen Sclerosis.   If you look further into this you will find info on making your whole body/system stronger against virussen and stuff like the Lichens.  

• Posted

Thank you, Hanny. I will look into baking soda further. 

I haven't heard of coconut oil 'pulling'. Does that mean applying it to the LS area on a regular basis?

A

• Posted

The 'pulling' has to do with your mouth and the Lichen Planus in your mouth.  I take as table spoon full and rinse that in my mouth.  It helps to keep the Lichen Planus at bay.  

For the Lichen Sclerosus down below I apply a small amount of coconut oil after every bathroom rinse.  

• Posted

Forgot to mention:  Don't swallow the coconut oil after rinsing your mouth with it.  Spit it out.  (not in the zink either, or you'll plug it up.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.