Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I have cutaneus lupus and sjogren's syndrom, I also

have atrial tachycardia for which I take a beta blocker called

Bisoprolol. I recently read that this could affect the lupus could

anyone enlighten me on this?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi whatever you do DO NOT STOP the drug unless your cardiologist or Rheumatologist has agreed. You don't say what autoimmune drugs you are taking. However whatever, please ring your GP or cardiology/rheumatology nurse before coming off any heart medicine. 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam. I'm taking Hydroxychloroquine, Losarton

(High BP) as well as Bisoprolol. No I don't intend coming

off any medication until I speak to my rheumy. I have been

having really odd sensations in my arms and legs recently

It started with burning prickly feeling in legs, that has now

changed to a feeling as though ice is running through my

veins, especially my arms..... really weird. I have been

trying to figure out what the cause could be. My GP thinks

it's just one of those things that Lupus/Sjogren's throws

up! I have an app. with my rheumy next month so will

discuss it with him. Do you have any ideas?

• Posted

Hi Cloch47, I have lupus and have for many years. Look to the hydroxycloroquine it causes peripheral neuropathy whic it sound like you have. I stopped it and my Amlpdopine first the hydrocloroquine which reduced the PN then the Amlodopine. The PN is gone. But work with your doctor when stopping these meds. Goo health to you!
  • Posted

I have just looked it up, it doesn't mention Sjögren's or SLE or cutaneous Lupus however if you have Psoriasis you do need to see your GP! 
    • Posted

Where did you look it up Pam? I read it in a booklet titled

Lupus: A patient care guide for nurses and other health

professionals, published by U.S. Dept. of Health and Human

Services. Published 2001.....quite a no. of yrs. ago. so info.

could have changed by now.

• Posted

Hi the prickly burning sensations could be small fibre neuropathy which is associated with Sjogrens/SLE. I have just looked up Bisoprolol in the BNF the book every UK doctor will have, it can give muscle weakness but in Sjögren's and SLE that is a symptom too. I don't take Beta blockers, there are so many in the contra indications section. You may possibly be getting a side effect, but more likely it's the Sjögren's as Bisoprolol hasn't been mentioned at all. I personally would stay on them as you only have a month before your next Rheumy appointment. I wouldn't advise you to come off any heart medication unless you are told to by your GP or consultant. I have cold numb tingling feet and hands, and certainly muscle weakness but as I don't need a beta blocker I am sure in my case it is the disease. I am on MTX methotrexate. The only contra indication I could see in the enormous list of Beta Blockers was for Pilocarpine which I do take, it didn't do me any good last time, and I doubt if it will this time either! It's for giving you moisture to your mouth and eyes. I am taking it in drop form. I wasn't keen as I certainly have Hyperhydrosis (excess sweating) in my case my head! That is another neurological problem too. 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam for all the info. Yes I did come across neuropathy

in connection with Sjogren's so I think that is very likely to

be the cause of the tingling. It's always very difficult when

you have a chronic condition you tend to assume that

any symptoms you have is attributed to the condition.

I had a blood test last week and it has shown that my sodium

levels are quite low. We are repeating the the test just to

check if it was a one off.

• Posted

Yes it's possible as of course with blood pressure problems which I assume is your reason for the Beta Blockers you are told to avoid salt. I with low BP am now eating a little! You can't win with Sjogrens/SLE but certainly the neuropathy may well be due to your Sjögren's. Interestingly there are 2 neurologists talking about Sjögren's and neuropathy and POTS! Are you a BSSA member, if so you should find it most interesting. Unfortunately we do seem to get some odd ideas that come from the USA I do tend to stick to the information on Patient or in the BNF when it comes to advice. I am under the BSSA President Dr. E. Price and would certainly go with what is said in the Sjögren's Book which is the 'bible' on Sjögren's Syndrome. 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam, I'm comparatively new to all this, I was diagnosed

in Jan. I'm not a member of BSSA but I will now join.

How do I access the talks on neuropathy? and where can I

find the Sjogren's Book?

Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it.

• Posted

Cloch the BSSA phone number is 01214780222 I run a FB group for BSSA members called British Sjogrens. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Wonderful if you wish to do FB look for British Sjogrens. My consultant Dr. Price is the president. I live in Sussex but I see her in Swindon. She has been so kind and caring. The added bonus for us is my eldest son, wife and grandchildren live there! 
    • Posted

Hi Pam, just an update on this thread. I saw my Rheumatologist yesterday and he has confirmed that the tingling that I have

been experiencing is due to Sjogren's/Lupus. He is just going to

monitor it for now as thankfully I'm not experiencing any

numbness. Hope that remains the case.

• Posted

That's brilliant Cloch are you a BSSA member? If not why don't you join the BSSA we run a support group for Sjögren's sufferers on FB and would be glad for you to join. I and my admins have a wealth of knowledge about Sjögren's and are BSSA members ourselves. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.