Methotrexate and alcohol

Posted , 104 users are following.

Hi there,

I've only yesterday started on my methotrexate tablets and have just started reading the online forums and have became very worried! The number of people who are losing their hair seems incredible, is this a common side effect?

I'm 23 years old and drinking and work in a bar while i'm studying at University. Drinking and going out is a massive part of my life and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it's still possible to carry this on at all? I usually go out roughly twice a week and can drink up to 3 nights. I know of course I will be cutting down massively, but can I still do it at all?

I can only find negative forums on here about the drug and it's making me feel like the side effects aren't worth the risk... Does anyone feel like they can still live their lifes on this drug and it is worth taking?

Thanks for any advice you can give! A bit worried here...

7 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I thought if respond to your question due to the fact I have been on methotrexate for almost 10 years and just wanted to share with you some of my experiences on it.

First of all most internet searches / blogs, forums etc on this stuff is negative !! It's a drug which most people with inflammatory arthritis are put on and can have bad side effects. In all my time on it the only thing I noticed was that it made me feel slightly sick the day I took it and sometimes the day after also. One important thing to reduces this feeling is to take frolic acid supplements (which you will have also been prescribed). I had problems with alcohol if I drank on the same day as taking my tablets (I was on 17.5mg). Of course everyone reacts differently to medication but to be on the safe side I wouldn't drink on the same day as taking it and just in general take it easy on the booze when you first start on the pills and see how you go. There is also an option of injecting methotrexate which bypasses the digestive system which can improve the sickness feeling. I was a similar age to you when I first started with my arthritis so I know how it feels reading all of the scare stories on the internet about the bad things that can happen on this drug. I felt exactly the same !!!! I am no longer taking it due to the fact I still felt sick on the injections and ever since I finished on it I've been fine taking only embrel (a biological drug which treats psoriatic arthritis).

What type of arthritis do you have? ( I have psoriatic) Methotrexate is used as a base drug for most types of arthritis but there are other drugs out there which you could try if you don't get on well with methotrexate.

Please get in touch with any other questions and I'll be happy to offer any advice and share my own experiences with this.

Joe

• Posted

Joe,

I have had psoriasis since I was 14, im 22 now. I havnt been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis yet but my father has it and im sure its only a matter of time. Iv been on 25mg of methotrexate once a week for nearly two years now and it mearly keeps it at bay, meaning it doesn't get rid of it but if I stop taking it my psoriasis will flare up like crazy. Like you described im always sick the day of the dosage or the day after. I was wondering, what did you switch to after methotrexate?

• Posted

Hello, this is third week on metro. They say to take at exact same time each week, but d/t having a procedure today, I slept through the alarm to remind me to talk it.

I took it six hours late....was that bad.

Also are any of you all on the medication they give to help with side effects.

It is supposed top be taken twenty four hours from neo dose.

Do I take that doc hours late add well?

What time do i do it next week.

• Posted

Joe your a star !

Been on methotrexate for about 3 months now,and have just been moved up to 12.5 mg from loading dose of 10 .

Since the increase my psoriatic arthritis has improved a lot since first diagnosis about 6 months ago . Think I'm gonna be increased again to 15 mg within next 2 weeks, so hoping for another improvement once it's upped.

I'd say I'm a moderate drinker, and also find the day and day after taking it a bit nauseous but all in all okay .

Good luck people, things aren't that bad as with the right balance I meds this disease is very manageable ??

• Posted

Hi. I've just started Methotrexate injections 5 weeks ago. I have psoriatic arthritis. No relief yet. Anyway, I use to have one or two glasses of wine nightly. I haven't had any in the five weeks since. I don't understand not having any thru the week but when my husband & I are with friends I want to. Upon further researching the drug they say people with psoriatic arthritis are 3 times more likely to have liver problems while on Methotrexate. I'm scared but am having a hard time being around others drinking. I guess I'm looking for input. I so would like to have just two or three glasses.

• Posted

Sorry spellcheck is not good. I mean I'm ok not having any drinks thru the week, not I don't understand. Lol

• Posted

I was not told to take at the exact time. I may be off an hour or so.
    • Posted

I take them in pill form every Monday. I tend to avoid any alcohol 24 hours after taking the medication, but usually I do go out over the weekend and have few. 
    • Posted

What abut drinks the night before taking Methotrexate? Also if you don't mind me asking what disease do you have? Psoriatic arthritis?

• Posted

Well it's my husband and he has Lupus. He took the methotrexate for the first time Sunday for the first time and he felt fine Monday and Monday night so he had a couple beers. He's been sick since. Run down, nauseous and terrible feeling sad

• Posted

Hi Tina

I've been on MTX for 8 weeks now for RA, luckily with no side effects except for feeling more tired than usual the next day?

For the first couple of weeks I abstained from alcohol but like your really struggled in a social situation.

I was told by my consultant, as long it's just a couple and not on an empty stomach and never on the day I take the meds, I'd be fine and hooray... I am!

My blood tests are all ok and I'm pleased I've really cut down on my wine intake but can still enjoy a few socially!

There is life after MTX!

• Posted

Hi, I've been diagnosed with psoriatic arthtritis about 3 months ago but had symptoms for much longer. MTX at 10mg tablet form once a week, I'm three weeks in and feel like its got worse more so they day after taking it ( take frolic acid prescribed). My psoriasis is very minimal but the arthritis is quite severe. I am not drinking at all initially just to gauge the side effects but do love a drink, I appreciate I have to change my lifestyle to a degree but anything to ease this constant pain. I just want to start seeing some positive results from the meds as it does get you down on the bad days

• Posted

HI Phil I've been in your shoes and I know it seems like it won't improve, but it will believe me . 10 mg methotrexate is just a loading dose to see how you respond , it won't improve things at the moment I'm afraid , I didn't see results until I was put on 15 mg per week , in now on 17.5 mg and the results are great . It also depends on what anti inflammatory drugs your on , in on 90mg of etoricoxib every day and that balance is working well .

My psoriatic arthritis affects my feet , Lower back and hands , it was horrendous for over 2 years , but now I feel like a different person . Hang in there mate it will improve it just takes time to get the right balance of treatment 👍

• Posted

Hi there,

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. You've genuinely put my mind at ease smile

All I keep reading on here is how I'm going to lose my hair and become depressed, so it's nice to hear some sort of a success story. I've planned my methotrexate so I take it on a Wednesday so come the weekend I should be able to have a little bit of a drink so I'll definitely make sure and not have it on the same day!

I know I have to cut down massively, it's going to be a big lifestyle change.. it's nice to know I don't have to cut it out entirely though.

I have Rheumathoid Arthritis, was diagnosed in December and they already have me on medication so they said the outlook is pretty good. All my symptoms have been taken with the steroids i've started, but they only last 3 months so fingers crossed the methotrexate and hydrochloroquine kick in by then!

Do you mind if I ask, how much would you say you still drink? The docs have recommended me to 10 units a week at most.

Thanks again for your reply! It's already helped so much smile

Kirsty

• Posted

10 units is about all you want to do.  I take my shot Thursday nights and don't have a beer until Saturday (and then only one).  I had just gotten back from a wild Cuban vacation when I was put on MTX and the doctor asked "How much do you drink" and I said "In Cuba? 2 beers at lunch, 2-3 mojitos at night and some wine with dinner. Am I going to die?" He said that vacation would not kill me but Methotrexate processes through the liver and 5 drinks (that's 10 units for my heavy pour) is the maximum a week.  I can live with that if it means the RA doesn't ever cause joint damage.  I've had some advice from others to take Biotin (a B supplement) to protect my hair and they even suggested a call my doctor about increasing folic acid when I felt bad after the shot.  The doc moved it from 1 mg a day to 4 mg a day and ok'd Biotin.  The other thing you might research is Mucinex-DM for the methotrexate blehs.   I was told by Dr to take one with injection and one 8-12 hours later.  I'm on Hydrochl. also 200 mg.  Good luck!  Here's wishing you into remission!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.