New Procedure called iTind

Posted , 56 users are following.

Has anyone in this discussion have experience with this new and quite remarkable procedure? A device is implanted then removed in five days and none of the usual negative side effects occur.

5 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Next
  • Posted

James,

Interesting procedure - like a removable stent. As with all of these new procedures looking forward to hearing from someone who has actually had it done. Perhaps you could call the company for the name of a doctor who was involved in the trial, then call that doctor for more information. 

I read the eligibility requirement of the study and based on that I would not have met the requirements - quite strict. 

Tom

• Edited

James, thank you for bringing up this this very minimally invasive procedure.  This website  { http://www.medi-tate.com/patients/itind/#q7 } answers most of your questions, has a BPH Symptom Quiz to determine your severity of your condition.  They will put you in touch with a Urologist in your area that does the procedure.  { http://www.innomedicus.com/index.asp?Language=EN&page=tind } Clinical Trails {  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02506465 } Youtube   { https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4zSAd-2ZZM } {http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25382816 }  

Pivotal Study to Assess the Safety and Effectiveness of the iTIND Device

https://www.smartpatients.com/trials/NCT02506465 } .  

I sent in a request for addional information and to find a ;ocal Urologist.

Mike H

• Edited

Looks like they are still accepting volunteers in the NY area. I have large medial lobe so I'm out. Not sure how I feel about being part of an experiment 

• Posted

Hi James,

You are right about it  being remarkable. Something creative and simple like this is long overdue. Also, looks like the material science has moved on sufficiently for this to be possible.

There is a study afoot to evaluate safety and efficacy expected to complete by March 17.

I hope some urologist takes it up here in Oz for evauation soon. That will depend on the Israeli Co seeing Oz as a good potential I guess

I am waiting for my PAE date, fingers crossed. 

Will be keeping an eye on this in case someone posts their experience with this

Thanks for sharing this.

• Posted

I just talked to a world class Urologist who did a 200 man study on the new procedure called "REZUM"  and one of his comments to me was over time the "PAE PROCEDURE" really doesn't work.  I told him "I Know" as I had it done in the summer of 2014 and I still get up 3 to 4 times nightly.  So for whatever its worth I think the PAE is a waste of time and money.
    • Posted

Not only that, your groin will be subjected to an immense amount of radiation, and there are significant after-affects which you are unlikely to be told about. Avoid PAE. And especially avoid it if there is any indication you have an enlarged median lobe.

• Posted

I looked at the clinical trials notes. This is a new procedure in the US, literally just starting trials. It may take a while to find doctors in the US with sufficient experience.

In my case I doubt it would've worked. In the list of profile requirements they mention prostate size between 25-75ML in volume. Mine was >100ML, probably closer to 180+. Point is, with large prostates, and often growing ones, seems to me that insertion and smaller laser methods are not going to overcome the sheer mass and growing pressure from large prostates. 

On the other hand, many people on this site may be suffering from a modest sized prostate, but one with a non-optimal median lobe. If that is the case, this procedure might be a good candidate to consider.

PAE is in trials at many locations in the US. I would give that serious consideration as well, possibly a first option choice, since it is truly non-invasive.

• Posted

Bill,

PAE is being performed all over the country by Interventional Radiaologists. Many on this forum has already had the procedure performed with excellent results. PAE cuts off blood supply to prostate tissue so that kills the tissue and reduces the size of the prostate. However, the remaining tissue can continue to grow, and the BPH symptoms may return. PAE appears to be the most effective treatment relative to the trauma caused to the patient. REZUM applies steam to the prostate tissue and iTind appears to expand the tissue. However, after the tissue is stretched would it not grow back again at a later time? This is why I always want to hear from someone who has actually had the procedure. 

PAE is NOT available for anyone who has had prior radiation to the prostate for cancer (my case), so I am looking for alternative that do not involve cutting (TURP) and hospitalization. 

Tom

• Posted

Bill,

PAE is being performed all over the country by Interventional Radiaologists. Many on this forum has already had the procedure performed with excellent results. PAE cuts off blood supply to prostate tissue so that kills the tissue and reduces the size of the prostate. However, the remaining tissue can continue to grow, and the BPH symptoms may return. PAE appears to be the most effective treatment relative to the trauma caused to the patient. REZUM applies steam to the prostate tissue and iTind appears to expand the tissue. However, after the tissue is stretched would it not grow back again at a later time? This is why I always want to hear from someone who has actually had the procedure. 

PAE is NOT available for anyone who has had prior radiation to the prostate for cancer (my case), so I am looking for alternative that do not involve cutting (TURP) and hospitalization. 

Tom

• Posted

Yes this is a very interesting procedure. I wonder if there are any people in this forum who have done it and would care to share their experiences. I wonder for how long would this procedure last in keeping the prostate open.They claim only for a few years. Then what happens? 

I am going to do a PAE tomorrow, and hope that it will work as I have a very large median lobe and hope that the PAE will shrink the prostate as well as the median lobe.

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Since you had your PAE done some 4+ months ago could you provide us with the results of your experience?  Many of us are very interested in your actual experience, expecially those of us with large median lobes. Also, where did you have it done?

I hope you have had good results

Lawrence06345

• Posted

I am exploring this option with a Urologist in Spain. I was looking into PAE with a Dr in Spokane, but the cost seemed very extreme based on what I have read on here. So I contacted Dr Isaacson, who told me I would not be a good candidate based on a atonic bladder. My local urologist suggested TURP or laser a couple years ago to remove any obstruction and make it easier for my bladder. I have been managing OK up until now, but every once in a while I have to use a catheter. 

I looked into the clinical trials, but they are all on the east coast, and it wasn't a sure thing you would get the correct device instead of a placebo. I'm not going to travel for that chance. 

BTW, I am 53 and taking Terazosin daily. Tried Flomax and Rapaflo in the past with no noticeable results.

• Posted

I decided to have this procedure done. I am scheduled for April 6 in Madrid.i was ruled out for the PAE procedure, so started looking for options besides TURP. Other option this Dr. was suggesting was Holep. I decided to try the ITind first. I think I would do the Holep closer to home, Mayo or Dr Lingeman. 

Thanks for posting this, I'm hoping for the best.

• Posted

I wish that Urologists were doing the "I-Tind Procedure" but I do not believe its been approved yet in the USA.
    • Posted

It is in clinical trial in USA, but they are all on the East Coast. And if you are in the trial, doesn't mean you will get the actual device and not a placebo. 

• Posted

Thank You.  Hope you will keep us sufferers posted on this as it looks really good and not as major as a turp, turis, greenlight, etc etc.    The one thing I did think of is its probably not a complete solution to the problem because it does not keep the old prostate from growing.  If I had to make a "guess" I would guess that it will last a year or two and then you probably would have to go in for a "RE DO".   LOL
    • Posted

That is what I am thinking as well. It might buy me a few years, which is what I was expecting from PAE as well. 

The Dr performing this thought Holep was a better solution, and one time procedure. But thought Itind would work for me, would be a good first step, and I could always do something else later if it didn't work out.

• Posted

Chuck,

What is your staus?

I had the iTind as part of the clinical trial in New York and it worked great. they are still looking for more patients. Results have lasted 5 years so far with no repeats yet. The device makes three large incisions or slits that do not heal so it urine can keep passing through even as your prostate continues to grow.

It is the least traumatic process and while not comfortable was not painful. Just some burning when i urinated while it was in. Once removed i have no more pain and my symptoms have all but disappeared.

If you are still considering contact Medi-Tate to at least get screened.

Good luck

• Posted

I noticed your post while looking for something else.  Have you updated the group Motoman, as to how it went, and how you are doing?  I  am considering going to Toronto for the iTind; I was not qualified to be in the trials, as I had a Urolift in Dec 2015...  I would appreciate an update, thanks!  
    • Posted

It didn't work for me. After about 4 months I was back to what I was like pre procedure. I posted in here something about it. They talked with me about leaving the device in longer possibly.

I had FLA done in February. It started with great results, now the results are good I would say. I went backwards a little, but still much better than before the procedure.

• Posted

Bobby,

Are you still getting good results with your iTind procedure 2+ years out ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Chuck

• Posted

Hi there, Bobby T,

PaulR writing.

I am scheduled to have the ITIND procedure this Friday, but am still very concerned about the possibility of a reduction in sexual function. Would you be kind enough to share if it has affected your function in any way--either erectile or ejaculatory? Even if you've retained function, would you say you've noticed any reduction in force or volume of ejaculating?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, as I am still on the fence whether to keep or cancel my appointment this week. It would be great to hear first-hand how it has affected your sexual performance.

Much gratitude for as speedy a reply as you can send!

Best,

Paul

• Posted

Paul, I was wondering do you have any comments about the procedure that you had six months ago?

• Posted

If you had iTind done 6 years ago, i.e. 2016, it must have been version 1 of the iTind. They are now using version 2, with the nitinol wires located differently. I wonder if this would have made a difference for you.

I'm scheduled for September 29, 2022 to have this done. I hope it lasts longer for me than it did for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.