On pred for pmr. Reducing to 8 mg. seem to have surfeit of adrenalin

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am reducing from 81/2 to 8 mg pred.  Feels like I am having a permanent   panic attack.  Fast heartbeat, strong tingling in legs and feet, dizzy, stomach problems, restless, shaking, exhausted.    I have just been diagnosed with A-Fib and am waiting to go to fast track clinic next week, so worried about that too.  Is it the pred causing these symptoms of excess of adrenalin?  Also if Eileen reads this, can you give me some advice regarding the A-Fib please, as I remember you saying you have it.   Thank you 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a few days when making a reduction, I think it was only from 10 to 9, but it might have been when starting 9 to 8, it seems ages ago now, when I felt sort of panicked.  I don't think it was as bad as your sensations are, but I felt like I should be doing something, as though I were facing a crisis.  I don't suppose it can be a surfeit of adrenalin if prednisone has stopped our adrenals from producing the hormone, so I guess it must be a reaction to the lowered dose of pred.  When I asked about that in a forum no one seemed particularly concerned.  I'm glad you are going to be seen promptly re the AFib.
    • Posted

I'm very interested in learning more about this topic. I have experienced the rapid pulse, tingling hands and feet, panicky feeling. Mine was also accompanied with high blood pressure. I think I recall that each instant was associated with rapid breathing, sometimes following exertion, sometimes not.
    • Posted

I think my experience was that it felt like fear, only that was disconcerting as I had nothing consciously to be afraid of.  It went away after a few days and I haven't been aware of it since.  I wonder if it IS something to do with the level of pred in the body, which might vary a bit from person to person, but show up at roughly the same place (under 10, approaching 7)?
    • Posted

I wondered if it was possible that my adrenals had started kicking in as well.  It is a very uncomfortable feeling.  
    • Posted

So do you think that this would have been a good moment to reduce the pred a bit more?  Hmmm, too late to experiment now, but it will be interesting to see if this happens again as we get lower.
  • Posted

Hi Jan. Are you on other meds as well? Just wondered as I had these problems and it turned out to be the Omeprazole which I was taking for gastric reflux. This wasn't recognised by the medical profession. It was only when my Omeprazole was changed to Pantoprazole due to my developing a gastric ulcer, I suddenly realized that the palpitations and anxious feelings had ceased and my pulse had returned to normal! Just a thought. We tend to first blame Pred for everything. I know I do. Good luck. Take care, Debbie.
    • Posted

Yes, I take omeprazole as well.  But I have taken it on and off for 12 years and not had these problems before.  I also am on a beta blocker.  I think it must be the pmr/pred side of things as I am reducing at the moment.  It certainly makes me feel very weird at the moment.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.