Operation 24th what to expect?

Posted , 8 users are following.

so i have my gallbladder surgery on thuesday 24th september, i dont know what to expect ive never had surgery in my life and was just wondering what to expect really, after the op before the op, healing time ect?

i had ercp back in august when all this started as i had a stone stuck in my bile duct that made me jaundice, i was in hospital for 4 days and found the whole ERCP horrific so im terrified about this operation, if it wasnt for the sheer pain everytime i eat something thats not vegetables i wouldnt be having the op im that scared!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Keep in mind that everyone is different. I was sick for almost two months before they figured out it was my gallbladder since I didn't have stones at first. My surgeon was great. I had the 3 cuts and I'm only a little sore on my right side now and didn't take painkillers for long in fact I took ibuprofen because I'm allergic to Vicodin. The waking up is the hardest part because you're putt of it but within an hour you're fine. I have had really bad nausea and vomiting at home and did need help gettin in and out of bed for the first 4 days. Everyone is different though. Some people have no nausea and vomiting and bounce right back and others can have it last from a week to a month. It's just how your body handles everything. For me the surgery was the easiest part because you're knocked out for all of it haha. Good luck!!
  • Posted

For me, it was a case of turning up at hospital early, checking in and then waiting a short while.  Several people interviewed me (one at a time) and took notes and filled forms out, including the aneathatist (dont know the spelling-sorry).  Then shortly after that I went to the operating theatre where I was met by a really friendly group who made me feel very relaxed by chatting to me as if I were in the supermarket.  I don't remember any more until I woke up somewhere completely different where one nurse was looking after me before taking me to the small ward where I stayed for the day.  I felt incredibly sleepy for the most part of the day, but I was determined to be ready to leave that evening.  When I needed to "go to the bathroom" I was like a very drunk person, but still I was determined to show I could manage on my own - and I did.  I felt very sick that day and although most of the others tucked into their food I was unable to.   When I got home that evening all I was able to do was go to bed where I stayed for the next whole day.   I felt quite weepy for some reason, but knew it was something to do with the op.   After about two or three weeks I began to feel much better.   Some people can eat anything after their GB is removed, but of course you have to remember that your liver has extra work to do, so it's best to stay away from really greasy fatty foods.    I had my op at the beginning of April this year.   Good luck Allanah.
    • Posted

I wasn't aware that GB removal placed a greater burden on the liver.  Are you pretty sure of that?  Not contradicting you at all, just interested to find out.
    • Posted

A couple or so months before my GB was removed my doctor rang one evening.   She told me to restrict my alchol levels.  I told her that I don't drink at all, neither do I smoke.   She then said that my liver was being affected, as happens sometimes with this type of disease.  I was shocked as I eat healthily - I'm vegetarian and have been for about 30 years, and I'm not over weight or a diabetic.   Anyway, she told me to strictly eat no fat at all and in a short time my liver had recovered according to blood tests.   So, I can only go on what happened to me.   After all, we are born with a GB so obviously we need it.   
    • Posted

Hi Moonday!  just wanna ask if you don't mind. do you eat foods w/ any oil? even a teaspoon? How's your food intake?

Thanks! smile

• Posted

Hi Kathrine    .......        since my op I have eaten foods with oil, though never in great quantities, but when I'm cooking I use coconut oil, which didn't cause me problems before the op or since.   I'm very mindful of what I eat.  I know if I eat loads of fatty stuff or chocolateI will pay for it with pains in my side where my gb used to be; that is to say, when I breathe in I experience pain.  I barely use margerine or butter at all, though coconut oil on warm toast is lovely.  I lost a lot of weight prior to the op, but have since put some back.   I still drink a lot of cloudy apple juice.  I have even enjoyed the occasional pizza without problems. I'm a vegetarian, have been for about 30 years, so I do eat lots of fruit and veg.   What I have noticed is that my urine is much yellower than it was prior to my op and I still have to take immodium every day to curb diaharea.   On the whole I feel fortunate as some of those who've lost their gb have experienced lots of problems; it's nice to be able to go out for a meal and not have an attack - I had to stop all that prior to.  Hope this helps Kathrine.  
  • Posted

hi, I had ny gallbladder out two weeks ago and im feeling so much better no stomach pain anymore before the surgrey I had everything going on pain incstomach and chest nausaer, feeling tired faint all the time I was getting really down coildnt enjoy all the thing I like doing because I was in pain, it took a week after surgrey for the sweeling to heal first two days your sore and your stomach is bloated and tight feeling but it gets better I feel back to normal,
  • Posted

Sorry if this is a late reply hope you have had your op now and all has gone well.

You may have dairrhoea for a while but this should settle down.

Recovery period 3 weeks if keyhole surgery 6 weeks if bigger op.

Remember no lifting during this period.

You may have to stay on low fat diet for a bit.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice, had the operation around 11am didn't get out of theatre until 2pm it was larcrascopic so don't know why I was in so long, the anasthesia was great I don't know why I was so worried, everyone in the theatre put me at ease, woke up with a very sore throat, and lots of pain in my stomach, had a shower about 5pm and ready to go home for about 7pm so all round it went very well, lost 100ml of blood due to my gallbladder being separated from my liver, just had some ice cream for the first

Time in months so can enjoy

That knowing I'm not going to have an attack 😂, thank you everyone for your advice x

• Posted

So glad you're all done and dusted Allanah ..... I too had a very sore throat but that cleared very quickly.    Be gentle with yourself and good luck for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.