Partner has severe afib with WPW. Concerned

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

My partner is 31 years old and was diagnosed with WPW at 15 when he started having bad episodes of SVT and atrial fibrillation.

He had a catheter Ablation procedure at 19 years old however it wasn't successful.

fast forward to now he still has episodes, big ones on average every 6 months. His heart rate goes through the roof, to the point that paramedics are always amazed he is still talking. His bpm reached over 300 on his last episode.

His cardiologist has explained the risks to him, as he has wpw and afib that is very rapid, there is a risk to him of it turning into ventricular fibrillation and sudden death.

They have offered another ablation procedure, to put him on a 6-8 week waiting list.

He despises the ep study and inducing an episode whilst being made to stay on your back is torture. The risks off the procedure were described at 1 in 500 stroke risk. 1 in 1000 death risk.

So obviously he's not ecstatic about it.

anyone been in a similar situation who can give any words of comfort because at the moment we feel like there's no good outcome! please any advice or positive stories,

thankyou

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had wpw with pre excited afib as well. I had one episode that put my heart rate over 300bpm. They cardio converted me and started me on flecainide. It didn't work much. I just had my ablation a week ago. It was successful but my heart is healing so I still get palpitations sometimes. How is he doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.