PMR - Prednisone and dental implants

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone gotten dental implants while on Prednisone for PMR?  If so, was it successful?

Audrey

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Audrey, I was hoping to have some implants last May. Had the xrays, examination etc. and was then told by dentist that he wouldn't recommend  them whilst I was taking alendronic acid. After 6 years on Prednisolone I have just changed to Hydrocortisone and stopped taking AA, so I will now enquire as to whether I can have the implants. Will let you know.

• Posted

Dont waste your money whilst on Prednisolone...I have had to have hundreds of pounds worth of dental crowns etc pulled out because of this stuff... as for allendroic acid my dentist wont do any dental work whilst on that.
    • Posted

What is Alendronic acid?  I have had implants in the past that were very successful but they were before prednisone. 
    • Posted

I only took it for a short while then stopped..it made me very sick. When a problem occured with the first crown the dentist had to cut my tooth from my jawbone. I refused to go to hospital in the middle of an extraction so the poor girl had to wrestle with what she called, the hardest bone structure she had ever come across...A few weeks later I had another double crown and bridge removed. Prednisolone causes damage....even though it helps you move around again...
    • Posted

Audrey, it is a bisphosphonate often prescribed to people to reduce likelihood of fractures if they have osteoporosis or even just osteopenia.  It has been implicated in several serious side effects, including jaw necrosis, which is why dentists will not do any kind of surgery on patients who are on bisphosphonates.  There have been class action suits brought against the manufacturer of Fosamax (brand name of alendronic acid, I believe).
  • Posted

I had all of my teeth removed and implants put in since being DX'd with PMR and while being on Prednisone. No issues or problems other than the DDS was hesitant and had to have a consult with my DRs before she would proceed. Been over two years and still no probems. This was all done in the US if that makes any difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.