Prostate Problem Get all The Information you can

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello.  I was not going to post but there are alot of men that have not been satisfed with alot of there doctors  I was at my urologist to have a catheter removed from a procedure I had on Friday.  Well this man was in the waiting room and we started to chat but never got into any problems  He was called and I was still waiting for the nurse.  About 15 minutes he came out and I over here him say that he was going to have a Turp next month. Before he left asked him if the doctor ( Not Mine ) told him about any other procedures.  He told me no and he said that the doctor said that it was the best to go with.  I ask him did the doctor give him any information.  He said a little and that sex would be the same.  I ask  if the doctor told him that it would cause retro orgasm.  He said no.  That there will be no change and it will be just like before the surgery.  Well right before he lift he canceled his surgery for now and say to me I need to get more information before he had anything done.  Please men what ever procedure you have get as much information you can.  If you are going to have a Turp ask your doctor for a pill that will give you retro orgasm so you can see what it is like and if you can live with it.  Take care Ken

8 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ken

I only found out about the various treatments for urinary problems caused by enlarged prostates by researching the internet and finding forums such as this one. I saw three consultants - the first was quick to offer TURP without any discussion of possible side effects such as ED.

When I mentioned HoLEP to him he told me that it was a very rare procedure, not offered by many hospitals in my part of the UK. After much prodding by me he said he had a colleague at another local hospital who might consider the procedure for me.

When I saw the second consultant he again was vey quick to offer HoLEP without much discussion and I was made to feel privileged to have this offer made. When I asked about any possible effects on my sex life he seemed surprised that anyone in their sixties was still having sex. He then mentioned retrograde ejaculation. By this time I had heard about PAE and wondered if I could have this instead.

I was then passed onto a third consultant who said this procedure might be offered if I was a suitable candidate. Again I was made to feel like a bit of a freak for saying that at my age a good sex life was still important to me.

However, after further investigation I was considered suitable for PAE and I am very happy with the outcome of this procedure which I had done on 2nd Dec 2015. Thank goodness for forums such as this or my sex life might have been ruined. A bonus of PAE is that, if anything, my sex life has improved. 

I also get a full night's sleep with no more trips to the bathroom. Because I now sleep well at night my daytime energy levels have improved and my quality of life is brilliant.

I hope that you find a good urologist who will discuss with you in detail the pros and cons of the various alternative procedures that are available.

All the best

Peter

• Posted

Hello Peter.  I am glad your doing so well.  I am also glad that you did not take the first procedure that they offered.  Just because were getting older sex is still part of our live.  I may not have it as much as I did when I was younger but I still enjoy it.  It is alway good to ask question and get as much information you can about any procedure that your going to have.  My doctor is great. I had a urolift done in April of 2015.  It worked great for me.  I had only one problem which was this december one of the implants got loose and cause me a prostate infection.  My doctor check and I just had the repair done on friday.  He replace the old one and he found out my prostate was smaller they when he put in the urolift so he tighten the other ones. I have 4 implants.  Today is the first time I pee great other then blood. Just got the catheter out yesterday I trust my urologist in what he does. and he would never do anything to me without giving me all the facts.  That is the key you have to get all the information on anything you do because all doctor are not the same.  Take care and enjoy life.  I am 60 also  Ken 
  • Posted

It's about time that we started naming, on this blog, bad doctors we run across. There are too many out there who are incompetent, or just in it for the money, or both.

When we run across a bad doctor, we should name him or her, say where they practice, and what they did which was improper. That would be a big help to others who are looking for a doctor. Also, of course, we should name, and give the location of good doctors for the same reason.

Neal

• Posted

Thank you Neal.  That would be a start.  I live in Orlando and I have a very good urologist.  He has help me alot and if I don't understand he will go over it for me.  He even dew a picture for me to understand were my stricture was.  More doctors should understand that just because we get to 60 or older that we still like to enjoy all we can and we are not setting in a rocking chair.  Thank again..Ken
    • Posted

Please name this wonderful urologist in Orlando so others can go to him. It would be very helpful.

Neal

• Posted

Sure no problem     I have given it out on here before.          His name is: Doctor Zamip Patel MD..East Orlando Urology.. 258 S. Chickasaw Trail Suite 200   Orlando Florida, 32825    407-303-6865 ( Office )  I hope he can help others with there problem.  Ken 
    • Posted

I suspect that if you began naming doctors who you consider to be poor, the moderators would stop publication because of the risk of legal action.
    • Posted

As you can see in the current political commentary in the US, at least here we can have and express negative pinions. Also, there are several sites on the Web which encourage ratings and commentary about doctors. I believe WebMD might be one of them, but I'm not sure. Finally, many don't use their real names on this site. This should not be a problem.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks neal - the reason that I made the comment was because I criticised a doctor (no names) and had the post deleted by a zealous moderator.  Tend to agree that we all should have the freedom to post articles that criticise incompetence.
  • Posted

Hi Kenneth:

I am new to this particular part of the forum.  Overall, I am not new on other parts of the forum.  I thought I might be having the same problem with my prostrate.  Here is the deal.  A number of years back, I had blockage in my urinary stream and doctor tested checked my prostate and it was inflammed.  He recommended a terp and so it was done.  I had a lot better stream than I previously had.  A few years later, the same thing occured.  Weak stream and blockage.  A second terp was done.  Now I am 76 years old and having problems with weak stream and even sometimes wetting my bed.  That becomes rather embarrasing to say the least.  Believe it or not, I had to start wearing depends.  My main concern is still the weak stream.  I  have the urge to go but unable finish urinating.  My GP wants me to go to a urologist but I have been procrastinating as I am afraid another terp may be in the works.  I really don't want to spend 3 days in the hospital or maybe now it is done as an outpatient.  I don't know.  In addition to this, I have another problem and had it examined by my GP.  There is pain when putting pressure on testicles.  My doctor said he felt two small lumps and had me take an ultrasound.  It showed two cysts.  My question is should I be concerned about this or am I just thinking it's nothing?  As of this time I also have ED.  It could be due to the meds I am taking or possibly my prostate.  What do you think?  I know you can't give me any diagnosis and no medical evaluation but I just want to know if you had this or anyone else here?  Looking forward to your response and have a nice day.

mel

• Posted

First this is my opinion.  First I would not have another Turp.  You have all ready had 2 and they are suppose to last at least 8 years  I think that number 2 did you in with the ED But it can still be a pill issue What type are you on.  Did you look up the side effects.  What did the doctor say about the cysts.  Where in the testicles are the cysts  How large is your prostate.  I would go and get a good workup and see if they can help you at all.  Sometimes we have to go through alot.  Let me know  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks kenneth:

The terp I had was around 35 years ago.  So wouldn't you say that if last to about 8 years, what then?  Pill issue:  Probably, which one I don't know.  It could be the anti-depressants I'm on and the pain pills.  I take effexor, bupropion, trazadone, oxicodone, donezipil, ropinorole.  I take others as well but it more than likely has no bearing on the issue.  The cysts on the otherhand is indicated by the ultrasound.  I was told that it is not cancerous.  Thank God for that.  It's right on both testicles near the bottome.  My doctor told me he will watch it.  He did refer my to a urologist and I should make an appointment to have all this checked out and see what he will say.  Your right, we do go through a lot and where it ends, who knows.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Talk to you later.

mel

• Posted

Hey Buddy.  I'm glad that your Turp has worked for so long you mush have had a good doctor.  The cyst I would go and have them check by a urologist the cyst may be in the epididynis I have one on the right side it hurts sometime.  My urologist and I are keeping a eye one it.  I hope all goes wekk for you.  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Mel,

As you can see, my previous post to you was deleted by the moderator. I looked at the reason supplied for the deletion, and found it to be a boilerplate, and not related to my post to you. In my post, I attempted to provide you with information which might be helpful to you regarding the ED you reported, including the names (not the addresses) of the two companies in the world who supply penile implants, and the name and location of the most experienced doctor in the world who has the greatest expertise with actually doing the surgery to implant these devices. Finally, since I can't put addresses here, I suggested that you might want to search for these people for more information, or contact me directly with questions since I have a PI. I have no association with either of those companies, or with that doctor.

I generally spend significant time each day trying to provide helpful information to people on this blog as a way of "giving back " for the helpful information others have given me here and on other blogs, but for my money the bosses here can either supply me with a reasonable explanation for removing my post, or post it, or cancel my membership here. I don't have time to type helpful information with one finger

• Posted

Only to have it removed for no good reason.

Neal

• Posted

Thank you neal:

I wonder what is wrong with names as long it is a doctor who is well known in the field?  Wouldn't anyone appreciate a good reputable doctor?  I can understand that if the doctor was lousy. That would be a different story.  Too bad, there are a number of them and I have come across a few.  One of the problems are sometimes there can be repercussions to post this.  But anybody can look it up under the prime subject and certainly it will be in plain view.  These doctors want to advertise their good name and reputation.  The best are on top of the list.  That is what I find in the search engines.  Another good source is you tube.  Many doctors give lectures on certain illnesses and at the end, they post who they are and where to find them.  There are no holes barred here.  Just watch the interviews of patients that the doctor did a procedure and it went wrong.   I don;t believe anyone will left out in the cold.  I you can afford a great doctor, then go for it.  Unfortunately this does not true when people are on medicare in the States or PIP in UK.  When you have to rely on doctors who really don't want to accept medicare patients, then you know you are going to get what is left in the lower part of the medical field.  Unfortunate, but true.  It's a I don't give a damn attitute in our medical system.  If, on the otherhand that you are comfortably rich or well to do, then that is another story.  Unfortunately, the elderly just take up space and basically useless in our society.  What else are we good for?  It is easy to be planted in mass graves to make room for the younger people of today.  Now, I am really ranting because what I have to endure with pain a lot in my life, where do you turn to?  I as an older person feel the blunt of it.  We get sick and sicker because it seems that is the way it goes.  I think the best way to handle it is to make ourselves to take the necessary steps so we can tackle these problems.  Maybe we won't be cured but at least we are helping ourselves.  It doesn't mean we wont feel pain but we will be strong enough to handle it.  In otherwords, we have to become our own advocate.  That is why this forum exists. Without, we will never know others who fall into the same bracket. Everyone here has a common goal and that is to listen to others as well a others listen to us.  We can cry, show our anger, share our conditions and illnesses and have feelings for one another.  We are helpful in support and it's OK to cry on my shoulder.  We know we are limited but nevertheless were're here for one another and that is what is important.  It doesn't matter where you are from.  We just have to help one another.  That said, I shall say my best to you.  Take care and hope to hear from you again.

mel

• Posted

Hi Mel,

You make wonderful points. It's unfortunate that the moderators are getting in the way of what could otherwise be an even more useful site. I am still considering my future participation here. As I wrote before, I don't have time to type out posts to have them removed arbitrarily.

Neal

• Posted

Hi neal:

You better believe it and I have written in the main comment section of how I feel about that.  That was very early this morning.  Since it is the weekend, I didn't expect a reply but hopefully they do.  We'll see. Meanwhile, lets stay in touch.  Take care my friend.

mel

• Posted

Yes, Mel. That would be a good idea. Please private message me, and include your email address, so I can answer and let me know how things are going, and if you have any questions.

Neal

• Posted

Great Neal:

How do I enter you into private mail.  I will give you my email address but I don't want to enter it here publically.  I do have a select few that I talk to privately but I don't remember how to get in.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

mel

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation.

If you stick to this rule you are significantly decreasing the utility of the blog to your users. Many people "follow" the blog without ever commenting because they are too shy, or for other reasons. They will not have access to that useful information. There are good and bad doctors out there just as there are in any other profession. The good ones deserve public praise, and more business. The bad ones need to be publicly announced, and run out of the profession. There are many blogs that look for ratings of doctors, so there are obviously no legal ramifications. I am the victim of medical malpractice, as are many others. You are doing your readers a disservice.

As you know, I have spent many hours on your site providing useful information to people about prostate issues. Unless I hear from you that you have reconsidered this rule, and dropped it, I will spend my time on other sites that are more interested in their users' best interests. There is little use to a medical blog that won't talk about doctors. Please reconsider.

• Posted

I beliee what you are trying to do is beneficial.  Why not give good doctors the best ratings as that is what they want.  Just by naming doctors and certain companies doesn't mean y ou are breaking the rules.  I will post thing where more information can be aquired and if it is any search engine, then it is OK.  This is general info and anybody can look it up.  The monderators should not hold this against you.  Of course if there is anything that can be detrimental, then that is another story.  I will never bad mouth any doctor here but I will mention that I had bad doctors.  I wont mention anything that focuses on a particular medical situation but I will say that doctors make mistakes and some don't deserve to be in the medical field.  Where I used to live, there were a few doctors that were unsrupulous and deserved malpractice suits.  Some got into real bad trouble.  I can say that because that is happening.  The problem is some doctors and fortunately very few do go beyond the limits, get in trouble with the law, and even land up in jail.  The news tells it to you so it is not a taboo thing.  We are supposed to be smart, intelligent people who want the best for us but we have to use common sense to do so.  So, I said what I said and if I get in trouble for saying this, too bad.

mel

• Posted

Hi Neal,

The simple answer is these are the rules - we do not publish details of private or commercial clinics - it is advertising. If we allow one clinic/practitioner to be named in the forums for "praise" or advertising they would get swamped with spammers trying to do the same and this is already a problem with SEO posters trying to use the forums to push traffic to their clients. We are also not a doctor review site - as you say there are plenty of those out there. With regard to your specifc posts - users can easily find any information including companies and practitioners by using a search engine to look for penile implant. You can also use the PM service to exchange any other details if required.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Well you get to make the rules, but that doesn't mean that I, or anyone else has to agree with them. Obviously, many don't, since doctor's names are frequently mentioned with positive comments, (and with no response from moderators). I run another blog, and I agree that some people try to advertise on them. But, it is obvious when that is going on, and it is obvious when someone is making a positive or negative comment about a doctor that they have had personal experience with. Your job is to read the comments and remove the advertising. Removing information
    • Posted

.... removing useful information from bonified bloggers on your site is counterproductive to what I expect is the real purpose of the site. That purpose appears to be to allow people to ask questions about prostate problems, and for others, with more experience with prostate problems and their treatment; to provide them with helpful information. In some respects, it appears that overly aggressive moderation is getting in the way of this achieving that purpose.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.