PV & iron deficiency

Posted , 5 users are following.

i was diagnosed may 2015 with PV and thrombocytosis. I had 10 straight weeks of venesection and now 2 monthly. My iron levels have become very low and I am struggling to have enough energy to do what I need to do. I know I cannot have iron supplements otherwise I will need more blood letting. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sharon, I also found out in May 2015 I had a clot in my

portal vein going into the liver, then later been dignosed with PV,

I'm JAK2 positive and suffer from the nightsweat, spleen pain.

My Hematologist have done the blod letting every 5 weeks since (waiting for a total Hysterectomy to be done, thats now just done) she said after its

done she will treat me with, hydroxyurea ( low dose of chemo in

tablet form).

Have your hematologist mentioned other treatments?

Hope you get a treatment that will give you more energy.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. You've had quite a time of it.  I also have Jak2 gene. My platelets hover between 700 and 850. My haematologist said if it gets to 1000 he will put me on hydroxy too. I am having many hot flushes and cannot stand the heat anymore. My main concern though at the moment is the iron deficiency and lack of energy from venesections.
  • Posted

O boy, yes the heat is hard to deal with, I live in Australia and we are just at the end of summer, if it wasn't for air conditioning I

don't know if I could cope.

• Posted

Wow. I also live in Australia. We have just had 4 really hot days in a row and I have spent a lot of that time lying on the lounge.
  • Posted

Yes the lounge is my friend at the moment while recovering from surgery. I'm in Redcliffe QLD, where are you from?
  • Posted

I live on the NSW south coast. 

I wonder if anyone knows whether you should keep eating meat when you have very low iron (due to venesection) or cut it from your diet and just function the best way you can.

• Posted

Hi, I'm Magnolia, 33, and I'm new at this forum. I've been diagnozed 3 years ago with essential Thrombocytosis... I didn't have any complication sofar, but I found out only by doing a routine check up for my job Initially the platelets count were 500, not that much to worry but after one year they increased to 800. I didn't want to start Hydroxyurea so i waited for another year until they arrived to 1 mln and unfortunatelly I had to start it. It's two years now that i'm taking hydroxyurea but I'm kind of afraid of the complications this medicine may give me in the future.

In regard to the iron, I have low iron level myself but i take periodically Tartidyferon (10 days per each month).

The only main problem I'm having since one year is the irregular/lack of monthly menstruations. I don't have children but I would like to have one day. Is there any other medicine to be used for having less serious complications?

I have heard (but I'm not sure), that there is this new treatment that stops the increase of blood platelets. Have you ever heard of such treatment?

• Posted

Hello Magnolia11.

Having been prescribed Hydroxycarbamide (urea) for quite a number of years I would suggest that if you need increasing dosages of this drug then you should discuss the parameters with your haematologist.  It proved very helpful in controlling PV but with increasing dosages and other treatments over some years I needed to come off it and was prescribed a research drug called Ruxolitinib which is still controlled in UK by trials.  I feel it has been beneficial so far.  Research continues into PV and almost surely there will be other drugs available in due time.  I would suggest that you monitor the dosages needed of Hydroxycarbamide and if you feel it might be upsetting you, then you should not hesitate to discuss it with your medics.  Every drug has side-effects but you will realise if they become troublesome.  Good wishes.

• Posted

Hello Magnolia

i have thrombocytosis and polycythemia Vera. My treatment so far has only been venesections and aspirin. I am not on hydroxy yet but my dr said if the platelets keep rising he will put me on it. I know they are always working on finding new medications for these conditions but I don't know of any myself.

My iron deficiency has been caused by venesections but my dr said I cannot take iron supplements otherwise I will need more blood taken.

i have no idea what my diet should be.

Best wishes

• Posted

Polyl vera/iron is a fine line.  I will not go on Hydroxy (don't like the numerous side effercts).I am in America and my doctor wanted me to take slow release iron

after each phlobotomy.  I did for a while...but this created a vicous circle...  So I stopped taking iron pills and I also stopped eating foods with high iron content such as red meat, kale and spinach.  I do have phlebotomies when my HCT is over 44 Normal is between 40 and 44.  My HCT has been in the 50;s.

My doctor is concerned mostly about DVT (blood clot in the leg).  I do hope that you have laboratory test a few times a month...to ck. for the HCT number.

With limiting my iron rich foods and drinking a lot of water (nothing else) and walking at least 20min. daily....I have kept my HCT to 44 and below limiting

any phlebotomies.  I got poly vera after 2 cancers that are now in remission.

I am a senior and a female.  Also instead of iron pills I take Vtiamin B12 which gives me energy but that almost is like iron so be careful.  Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.