Rapaflo - Any ideas to restore ejacuations

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have had BPH symptoms for over 15 years (age 60 now). I tried 3 alpha blockers and felt like the side effects were worse than the problem so I just lived with the problem. Then, I got my first urinary tract infection and become more concerned. The flow was almost non-existent and I was literally urinating (more like dribbling) every 15 minutes. I went back to see a Urologist and had 3 tests (contrast dye to fill my bladder and check for strictures, which my Urologist thought I had). No stricture. I then had a Urodynamics test (catheter in penis, catheter type sensor in rectum, and sensory patches near anus). Test revealed dismal flow, 5X the normal obstruction, incomplete voiding, and a bladder which wasn't functioning normally. My Urologist was ready to schedule me for surgery but I insisted on one more procedure so he could see the problem so I would know what he was going to do. He performed a Csytoscope/camera procedure and measured the prostate with ultrasound. He said he decided to do nothing. My prostate was 27 grams (20-25 is normal I'm told) and my main problem was a bladder which no longer functioned properly. I felt like this was a death sentence. After considerable insistence by me, the Urologist gave me a sample of Rapaflo and told me to try it. He said it would cause retrograde ejaculation (something I experienced before on older alpha blockers). Rapaflo started improving urine flow within hours (about 5 hours for me), but the sexual side effects were far worse than I remembered with the alpha blockers. First, I didn't have retrograde ejaculation (where you still orgasm and ejaculate, but the semen goes into your bladder), I had anejaculation (no orgasm, no pleasurable spams, decreased pleasure up the point of orgasm, and then in a split second, all feeling ceased and the orgasm/ejaculation never occurred. Needless to say, I was devastated.

PROS of Rapaflo:  Immediate relief of BPH symptoms (increased flow, urge to urinate went from every 15 min to 2-3 hours, no waking up at night). Erections were not compromised.

CONs of Rapaflo: Anejaculation (no orgasm), significantly decreased pleasure during sex and then a split second prior to orgasm, it was like someone turned off a switch and everything went dead. I also have a stuffy nose on this drug. 

Depending on your age, this might be a very viable option for you. For someone still having sex, it may or may not be an option for you. The good thing is that you will immediately know after taking the first pill. I took the pill at 1PM and that night, the sexual side effects were immediate. From extensive reading on the internet, the most common complaint is retrograde ejaculation, but I think the people are experiencing anejaculation and just don't know it. Some people have cycled on and off Rapaflo in order to have sex, but I'm not sure if getting on and off the drug on a recurring basis is safe since the first few days after taking it, I've read your blood pressure is significantly lower and some people get dizzy or pass out. Good luck on this drug. I'm still taking it but desperately researching some other drug which might allow for ejaculations but still help with the BPH symptoms. Does anyone know if taking Sudafed or another OTC medication which might tighten the bladder neck enough to permit ejaculations? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

Kegal exercises will definately help. Plenty of instructions on the net. If you are serious about getting your prostate healthy again, you will have to stop with all dairy products, all meat, all sugar added products and all alcohol. This will help detoxify your prostate. Up your 'bottled' water consumption (not poisonous tap water) and get your mind into gear about ejaculation. Go through the aprehension, with masturbation, and 'make' it work again. I did this successfully, based on the 'if you don't use it, you lose it' scenario.

Drugs are compromising your immune system. It's your immune system you have to get working again to get to the cause and not just treat the symptom. Doctors won't help you. You have to research the net. 

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I have tried Kegal exercises but don't religiously perform them. I can hold the muscle for 10 seconds at a time and sometimes perform them while driving. Prior to Rapaflo, I had very strong ejaculations (multiple spasms) but the drug changed all that. I don't drink alcohol, but I practically live on sugar. I will try to decrease my sugar intake and drink more water instead of coffee. Thanks again for the advice. 
    • Posted

Each time you go the the toilet, sit down, do your biz, and then your kegal exercises, religiously for a few months. That should be 2 to 3 times a day. Use one hand to count and hold for 3 seconds and relax as one count. Do this 10 times every ime you go. You will see improvement. It takes less than a minute each time. Extend it to 5 seconds. Then maybe just 5 at 10 seconds sometimes.
    • Posted

Hey Son of Azrael. I have had prostate trouble since age 17. I am 30 now. I have tried over the years, on and off, to alleviate my symptoms with diet. Have you had the personal experience of healing your prostate by strictly following a specific diet?
    • Posted

I asked my doctor about kegal exercises and he replied that that is for urinary incontinence and not for bph/bladder emptying purposes. Have you been told otherwise by urologists?
  • Posted

Sorry for the mis-spelled word in the title. It should be: Rapaflo - Any ideas to restore EJACULATIONS. I wasn't able to modify my post to correct mis-spelled words.
  • Posted

Sounds alot like the other castration drugs that people talk about.  The Avodarts and the tamsulosins of the world.  All really nasty drugs when it comes to your sex life. 
    • Posted

Yes, the alpha blockers like Uroxatral, Flowmax, Cardura, and Rapaflo, as well as the 5-alpha reductase Inhibitors like Avodart and Proscar have several sexual side effects. Some are much worse than others.
  • Posted

This is all interesting stuff for me too. Am on tamsulosin and have not noticed a better stream but deffo decrease in being able to orgasm. Also on tolterodine. Am interested trying fin asteroids and wonder whether anyone has tried that?
    • Posted

DarrenUK, I haven't tried that one (I'm assuming you're referring to Finasteride/Proscar) but I'm attaching a chart which will give you some information on all of them. I think the chart underestimates the real number of people who have specific side effects because I haven't heaven't heard from a single person yet who didn't have abnormal ejaculations on Rapaflo, yet the chart shows only 28.1% have that side effect. I'm guessing it's more like 90%. The chart will show comparisons, however, and may be useful to you.
    • Posted

Don't ya just love predictive text.... Stupid thing.... Finasteride
  • Posted

Hi I'm almost 71. Had BPH for 15 years too. On avodart and alfusozin had only retro and decreased libido, but orgasm totally ok.  Like son of A said you can probably make it work again. 90% Is in the mind anyway.  Good luck. had not heard of this drug before.
    • Posted

Holodoc, I sure hope you're right. I haven't been on Rapaflo/Silodosin very long so I'll keep trying and hope for improvement. At this point, I would welcome retrograde issues. I can't get that far.
  • Posted

When I first went on Avodart I actually called the company who makes it and asked them if I could see their study as to how many people had success with it vs who didn't have success.  They told me that was proprietary information and they could not share that info.  I would venture a guess that the makers of Rapaflo would tell you the same thing.  When I get too old to enjoy sex Iam probably going to have a Plasma Button Turp but for now will just enjoy my life as it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.