Really bad upper arm pain

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi

lately I have been getting really bad pain in my upper arm. It's like it's deep within the muscle but more on my right side than my left. My arm feels like I have weights dangling from it as it feels so heavy. I also get bad dull ache in my armpit. I've just had some more blood tests done as I've had horrendous itchy skin to the point where I couldn't think about anything else and they all came back negative. My doctor has even tested me for allergies and again negative and has now put it down as stress due to work as I'm still getting a really hard time from my work and that's been going on since last year. I've had this arm pain before but never as bad as it is now. I know stress makes our symptoms worse and I am really stressed out at the minute but the pain in my arm is horrendous.

Does anyone else experience this in their arms? As I say mine is more my right side. The only thing I get in my left arm is the dull ache in my armpit.

If anyone does get this any ways to try to help relieve it would be greatly appreciated 

thank you x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison, iv'e had upper arm pain solidly for 2 years, there hasn't been a day when my arms don't hurt. it's at it's worst first thing in the morning where i have to use my feet to get my duvet off me as my arms hardly work.. it does ease off but never goes completely.. i also get very itchy & swollen arm pits and sometimes either a sharp stabbing pain or a dull ache in one or both.. 

I have the usual amitriptyline & co-codamol but i doubt any medication would cure it completely.. 

take care.

Gill

xxx

• Posted

Hi Alison, I've had fibro foraround 14 years and unfortunately it hasn't got better only worse. Before I was diagnosed with fibro I had what I thought was a frozen shoulder, I couldn't reach up more than a few inches I couldn't scratch my nose for instance! I saw a physio for several weeks who couldn't understand why I found his pressing on my arm or shoulder so painful. I even had acupuncture which needless to say did nothing. I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia rhumatica which also causes severe pain. Sometimes I feel like someone is leaning hard onto my bicep which is uncomfortable but not painful. The problem with fibro is the pain is unremitting and as soon as it moves from one place it sets up home somewhere else!!!! I used to have what I called the electric cattle prod pain but fortunately that seems to have gone....for now!

Good luck, I hope you can get some respite from your pain. Deb

• Posted

Hi alison44707 I am getting severe pain in my left arm I rub in volatrol and Ive also used deep heat. Ive found it helps a bit. Stress worry dont help our symptoms the more we stress the worse our pain becomes. The pain will be horredous for you because of you stressing.Pain can sometimes lessen when we dont stress as much.take care
  • Posted

That's happening to me, only its my left arm, it's as if I've been working out and that muscular pain you get the next day, I don't know what's fabriomyialgia and what's just normal, there's that many random things
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I am new to this forum, having only just had a possible diagnosis of fibromyalgia.  Do you get pain anywhere in your core body or is it just arms?  I only get pain from my upper arms to my hands, and my thighs to my feet.  I had thought that this doesn't sound like fibromyalgia as it doesn't involve my trunk but maybe I am not alone in this?  My shoulder, back and hips are all fine.

• Posted

welcome to the forum ridgeback1 Pain can strike any where in the body, you could get it in your back one day arms another day legs another. it varies to where you get it. Ive had fibro for over 10 years pain has affected my whole body from head to toe. fibro affects us all differently. 
    • Posted

Hi Ridgeback1

I only got diagnosed a few weeks ago which took two years. I get widespread pain all over my body and as time has gone on I do have a lot of other symptoms too. Lately I've been getting it really badly in my arms. My doctor has said its my fibro as I'm getting a real hard time at work which has been ongoing since November 2015 and he said where I'm so

stressed out that's causing my symptoms to flare up really bad. I did get signed off work and my symptoms did calm down but they have started again as I'm back at work. Mine actually started in just my arms and then my legs and then spread round my body. Mine happened after an accident at work two years ago. As time has gone on it has got a lot worse.

I'm still actually learning about this horrible condition myself and you have joined a good place. Everyone on hear is very helpful as a lot seem to have had fibro for many years. I find it does help chatting to people who understand your pain.

Has a rheumatologist diagnosed you as you say a possible diagnosis? Hope you don't have this condition.

Alison x

• Posted

I find that this can strike all over your body. It can be a combination of affected areas or just one. For almost three months my arms have been hurting. First both. Now only right arm. If I keep that arm to my body I can use arm from elbow to fingertips without much pain. But raising arm, like to comb my hair really hurts, but can be done. So unpredictable! One of the wort things for me is I feel like people think I’m faking this. 
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I have had very bad muscle and joint pains, muscle weakness, high temperatures, mental fog, and a myriad of other symptoms for over eight years, including a bowel bleed with prolonged bowel inflammation last year, and have been treated as an unspecified autoimmune condition and treated with immune suppressant medications and anti-inflammatories for over seven years - which on the whole seemed to have helped control it apart from the expected flares.  As I don't have the temperature this time (and for the first time)  my rheumy now says this is fibromyalgia, either alongside or replacing my previous condition.  He has taken me off all previous medication and I am awaiting MRIs and ultrasounds of my lower limbs over the next month or so to rule out inflammation. He has given me Amitryptaline 10mg only in the meantime and the pain is getting worse, although I am sleeping better. I have always had sleep issues during flares because of the pains. I have never had core body pain as part of this, only limb pain for eight years. 

Whilst my condition definitely flares with stress, there is not a lot I can do about this because I run my own business and therefore can't afford to take time out. The nature of my business is such that if I take off more than a day or so, my clients will need to source another service and therefore I run a very high risk of losing their business.  I definitley can't afford to lose my income as well as being ill!

I know there are often no quick and easy answers to these type of symptoms but I seem to have had so many diagnoses suggested - ranging from connective tissue disease to crohns - only for them to change their mind over a period of a year or so, that I do not have much faith in anything being the answer anymore.

It may be that my condition has changed, or it could be this alongside my other problems. If the latter is true, I dread  this getting worse due to medication withdrawal. Perhaps they are waiting to see if this is the case? 

It just strikes me that all the information for fibromyalgia suggests that you will have specific tender points. I have not had a physical examination before this siggested diagosis but to my knowledge I have never had any pressure point problems as per the diagram literature, apart from my knees and elbows.  This makes me doubt the diagnosis, especially when coupled with the fact that until recently I have always had proof of inflammation in blood and stool tests.

Slowly losing my sanity.....

• Posted

Hi Ridgeback

Wow you are going through it aren't you bless you.

When I got diagnosed and my rheumatologist applied pressure to my pressure points I flinched and pulled away from him as they hurt so much. I had 15 out of the 18. I don't know if it's correct or not but I did read somewhere that they don't just go on pressure points anymore. My rheumatologist did do the pressure points but did other things too plus took all my symptoms into consideration. He also knew I had everything ruled out first.

I was given the same medication as yourself and was started on the same dose as you but my doctor has told me I can up to 20mg as its not helping with the pain. It just seems to help me sleep.

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do as you have been told it's something then it's not that and something else. I'm sure you would just like to get to the bottom of things. Is there not another rheumatologist you can see or is the one you are seeing okay but is it just the case heby the sounds of things is still unsure what's wrong?

I wish I could offer you some advice. I just hope you get to the bottom of things x

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  My rheumy is generally very good and I do have faith in him but feel that this is just yet another condition that they can label you with that has no definitive test. I can see his point in as much as this time there is no temperature associated with the pains, but this is the first ocasion this has happened.  Anyway, tests lined up for the month or so, so I will just have to see what comes out of them.

Thanks for your support and I hope that you stay pain free.

• Posted

Hi alison. may be worth getting your vitamin D levels chacked as low levels cause bone and muscle pain and itchy skin, very simialr to Fibromyalgia .

I was diagnosed with sever Vit D deficiency last December after experiencing pain and tiredness for almost a year. Have just also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia so trying to find out as much as I can about it. Not able to work at the minute as having terrible pain in my hips when I walk.

hope you feel a lot better soon. xx

• Posted

Hi Denise

ive had my vitamin d levels checked and mine is high. I don't take supplements and my doctor has said its nothing for me to worry about and so did my rheumatologist. I'm guessing it's just part of fibro x

• Posted

I get this Alison but on my left hand side and the pain radiates up into my neck and the left side of my face and eye socket. I have today started on Lyrica as my whole left side has been agonising for the last few days.
    • Posted

hi katie

yeah mine is more my right side. It does go up into my neck too and my ear (like I'm getting an ear infection) but I haven't had it in my face or eye socket. Have you ever noticed that when you get it you get a pain in the back of your throat on the same side? Do you have it constantly or does it come and go? I don't have it constantly but when I get it it's really bad. I've recently had more blood tests done and they all came back negative. My doctor just thinks it's all part of fibro.

Guess it's just another symptom we get

hope you feel better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.