rectocele repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

new to site and not sure where to post!    I'm having rectocele repaired through vagina tomorrow,  Im nervous but know it needs doing!   

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

aw just wanted to wish you good luck! it seems to be more commin then we think!

i have mine in 2 weeks so in same boat as you but just wanted to eosh you luck x

• Posted

Wishing you well and a good recovery. Had mine 2 years ago. Just be sure to keep the bowel moving afterwards by eating plenty of fibre and drinking lots of water. The first couple of weeks are somewhat uncomfortable as the stitches are knitting and healing taking place. All will be well so long as you look after yourself by not overdoing anything. Take care XX 
    • Posted

Hi read your feed I am 4 weeks into my post op twice I have to return to my doctor last time an infection in the stitches in my bowel, which cleared up just a week ago now I have whiteish  smelly discharge coming from my front passage they tell me I might have my stitches always have you ever heard of this as my surgeon told me they were dissolvable I would be so grateful if anyone knows if this is true or not thanks
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, just seeing your message now. I would imagine that the discharge is related to the healing of the repair. The healing takes time as there are a lot of stitches in there. If you think you have an infection, you really should have it checked and may need an antibiotic. I personally remember having similar discharges which was an infection and the antibiotics cleared it. The stitches are dissolvable but I noticed some people on this forum have seen them come out down below. Take it easy as the healing takes time and that is something you really must do..No lifting or hoovering or any housework for that matter. Hope all be well in good time.
    • Posted

It's the dissolving sutures that drop out. As the wound heals the sutures fall out. The non dissolving ones are not used for obvious reasons.
  • Posted

I'm three weeks after mine the only advice I can give is do as your told eat properly and use a laxative if you can't go don't strain but it gets better every day hope all goes well babe
  • Posted

Hi pat you will be fine but after surgery do as these people are tellin you be patient lots of rest no lifting eat well and do take laxatives to help no straining .. I'm 12 wks after now and was all with it but for 6 wks do take it easy just look after yourself none else .. You take care
  • Posted

I am  Pat7794.   thank you for all your replies and good wishes. Had the op on thursday 26. and home on the friday.   Had fissure repair aswell as rectocele   .....   The dreaded BM yesterday, very sore indeed.  Hate movicol, makes me feel nauseas....  I'm eating very little but not hungry.    Im not sure how to reply  being new to site so seem to be replying to self lol.  I will  keep in touch and hope I'm better soon

• Posted

Hello pat. I expect you are pleased it's all over with. Don't worry too much about having your BO it will get easier but it's a shame you can't tolerate the Movicol. If you speak to your GP he may be able to prescribe something a bit different. Remember to get lots of rest and don't go lifting. Your appetite will return but drink plenty of fluids and eat when you feel like it.
    • Posted

Thanks. Movical  seems to bloat my stomach and cause  sick feeling..
    • Posted

hello matron,  have felt very low  tearful last couple of days.  When I was told I could go home I was pleased and surprised as it was  only 24 hours after my op. Pleased to go though. Late in the evening the hospital phoned to say I needed antibiotics and that the surgeon was surprised I wasn't on  strong painkillers. A mistake had happened in  letting me home so quick. My son collected the prescription from the hospital ward and had to go to sainsburys pharmacy to collect as they're open till 11pm the doctor told him!........... I am 70 and live alone.    worried about bowel movements, don't know if emptying properly. Have taken two senekot tonight so will check in tomorrow, lol  I'm hoping this op will change my lifestyle.   

• Posted

Hello pat. I agree the hospital did make a big mistake in discharging you without medication. I'm very concerned about you being on your own after having this surgery because you're going to need a lot of help particularly in the first couple of weeks. Is there anyone who can stay with you because you shouldn't be on your own when having a bath or a shower? You must not lift even a kettle full of water at the moment. Don't get too anxious about your bowels, the first time will probably be a little bit painful but the Senokot will help. Have they given you stool softeners? They would help a lot.
    • Posted

well no result on the two senekots last night. shall I take two more tonight ?  feel  better in myself however,  But concerned.  I'm drinking plenty of water and although I'm only eating small meals, they are plenty of greens and fruit! .. My son  pops in after work each day  and a daughter inlaw shops!  
    • Posted

Hello pat. Yes it will be ok to take 2 Senokot tonight. You probably won't have a large appetite at the moment but it's good that you're driving plenty of fluids. You may find it helpful if you take a stool softener every day. You can buy it from any pharmacy and Senokot actually do a combined tablet as well.
    • Posted

well  they 'worked ' and all well, so feel so much better now! on road to recovery. Thanks for your advice.
    • Posted

So pleased pat so continue resting and doing as little as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.