Sertraline for 12 days no improvement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Still feel terrible after 12 days can't face the day ahead feel sick panicky when will it go away can't take anymore I'm desperate.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah I'm just passed the 6wks mark and still got anxiety and hot flushes through body but it does get less I'm not as bad as at the beginning I'm afraid u just got to be patient with these tablets did yr doc give you any anxiety meds u can take mine didn't so I've had to struggle through but have u tried rescue remedy herbal medicine u put 4 drops on yr tougue as many times as u need it's quite good brings anxiety down
    • Posted

Hi Tracey I've had diazepam larazapam and now oxazipam and none help the only safe place I feel is when I go to bed at night don't sleep well but by 4am I start anxious and sick about facing the day ahead and maybe having to go back to work soon
    • Posted

Hi Sarah I know how hard it is cause I don't sleep well either abt 4hrs a night but I don't get sick pay so I have had to work all through this and believe me at the beginning was so hard not quite as bad now do u have a supportive partner with u x
    • Posted

Hi I'm only getting paid £88 a week but my husband and kids are here but they don't understand my mum and dad help me my mums had depression 45 yrs but I feel guilty relying on them I'm so independent and feel like a failure
  • Posted

hi sarah

​hope you can stick with it, it worked for me, didnt have any other meds to help and yes the side effects are aweful, but it is working well for me from what i was like which is very similiar to yourself, ask doctor if you can have something to work along side it, dont go for over counter stuff without advice specialy saint johns wart.

took me 6 - 8 weeks to work but some it can take much less, i now how you are feeling , the dread and racing thoughts, it will get better, try not to spend too much time laying down if you already are, this can bring on the dizzy spells if your spending 48 hours plus in bed.learn what serratonin is for and you will understand the reason for the sertraline meds, and learn to breath into your stomach and not your chest this will ease sickness and raise your oxygen blood levels.also releaves any panic attack, if you feeling dizzy lie down , your brain is telling you to do this hence why it makes you feel faint,take care you will get there and your not alone,

• Posted

Hi Wayne I to take Sertraline, have been for 5 weeks, 2 questions I have. 1- Saint John's Wart why do you say no to this? And 2: I have noticed that couple of times this week suffered with quite bad dizzy spell's? The first thur morning wher I had to lean on a door frame. And 2 at work this week,is this in relation to taking Sertraline? WOW flipping frightened the life out of me to say least??!. All in all for me anyway Sertline has helped me and feel 99% better taking it. Everyone gets bad days but I'm saying it's worked heaps for me. X
    • Posted

Hi Wayne I don't lie down afraid I would go to sleep and then can't sleep at night which is terrible when everyone's asleep.My heart doesn't race I just feel sick all the time can't eat which prob makes it worse my worrying starts at4am in the morning I've had 3 diff tranquiliser but they don't help I'm just dreading having to go back to work in the near future but I can't bare the thought of being at home either
    • Posted

hi sarah, so sorry you feel this way, please dont 12 days is no way near enough for them to work, ask your doctor about medication to block adrenaline, this is the cause of the fight or flight and the cause of many uncontrolable symptoms, im no doc but have lived with this dam aweful condition and did my research,you will get there and you are going throu the early stages of side effects and your racing thoughts are making you worse, from what i read you are feeling safe at night which was normal for me , every morning was bad and it seemed to get better late afternoon onwards, a vicious circle, please stay with the meds and if you feel your suffering more that the usual side effects call your doc, but has mentioned they take time, i was so sick , bedridden adn lost 2 stone, and yet 6-8 weeks later 1 stone back on and here i am helping others with what i have already experianced,take care you will get there.also just one thing i did with some of my family who didn't understand, was to show them this web site and let them read some of the stories of others, they totally understand now, be forcefull demand they read them :-) good luck
    • Posted

Thanx Wayne I feel so down and ill want to cry all the time doc said 2-4 weeks but feel as though I can't wait that long it's killing me and what if they don't work I'm back to square one every day is a constant battle and I'm ready to give up life doesn't seem worth living if this is what it's going to be like everyday
    • Posted

hi michelle, i thought it best to send you a link with information about st johns wart, just copy and paste it , also sertraline side effects can cause your dizzy spells,i had them for weeks, you may find when they start your sight goes dark round the outside similiar to a tunnel with light at the end, also have you checked your BP ,if your blood pressure is less than 90/60 then this is concsidered low but not life threatning and in return can cause dizzy spells specialy when standing up, i can talk all day about hypertension and stuff but thats another story, please make sure you are hydrated which guidlines say approx 2ltrs of water /fluids per day, signs of dehydration also can cause dizzy spells and your brain is telling you to lie down it then goes, it will pass you are at the point of getting there.also if your having the dizzy spells at work dont be embarrased to simply lie down, you can always tell them that you may do this and to expect it , good luck with the sertraline your getting there, to leave the house is a blessing , take care

https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/st-johns-wort-important-interactions-between-st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum-preparations-and-prescription-medicines

• Posted

hi sarah

​i'm a 52 year old guy and i cried all the time, i couldnt wait wanted to end it all, then i thought how could i be so selfish i have a caring family and grown up children.it wont be everyday time will pass and you will get better, talk to your doc he may let you have something to help with initial treatment but do that as a last resort, you will get there sertraline is worth the effort 

• Posted

My docs very supportive she's given me Valium which didn't work lorazepam which didn't work and now oxazipam which doesn't seem to be working just wish this sick feeling would go so I can eat a bit and I've got such a caring family who love me but I don't know how I get through each day waiting for these tablets to work and worrying about not going to work doesn't help and now my daughters lost her job
    • Posted

I'm not allowed any anxiety meds my doc says there to addictive I'm surprised valiumdon't work for u and diazapam unless not realising yr fighting against it calming u down cause when I had this 20 yrs ago had a nervous breakdown and major panic attacks it worked for me but everyone different
    • Posted

Wayne many thanks for the reply, in regards with Sertraline and st johns wart. Thankyou for the link too. By the way best wishes for Saturday xx
  • Posted

Sarah, just give it time I have been taking Sertraline for 5 weeks now, it's like anything new let it work through your body this can take anything from 6-8 weeks! Sounds ages but it WILL. Get better everyone at some point suffers from some side effects except those few lucky people!!!!!!!. Give it time. Let the tablets kick in first, did your GP not explain to you about the tablet? As to how long it would take to start working. If not go back and see him/her? Ask for some advice!. That is what they are there for!. Good luck. Hugs to you.
    • Posted

Yes they did and I've got tranquillisers but they don't really help I start at 4am feeling sick and agitated and all I do is cry
    • Posted

Sarah have you explained how your feeling to your doctor? May I ask where you are from im from the UK. Surely the doctor would of helped with a referral? Explain your feeling's? To the GP!. I felt god terrible before I started these tablets. I was soooooo low, miserable, very snappy, anyone who was smiling I could of knocked their block off!! I look back  at how I was a flipping miserable cow my partner god bless him just thought I was on the change!. I suffered for 9months it was hell. I'm so glad I went to seek help!!!. I'm so much better But don't get me wrong I still get bad days but nothing like before. I would advise you go back to your GP and ask for some help. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah sweetheart u r not a failure we All get to that point where we think we r but u r not like I said I'm 6wks in still got anxiety and hot flushes but not as bad I have a supportive partner but my kids don't understand it's good yr parents are supportive cause mine just tell me to pull myself together and I said if was that easy don't u think I would x
    • Posted

Hi Michelle doc knows everything my mum comes with me she's had depression 45 yrs I've got an app with a councillor Tuesday guess im just being impatient but I just can't cope and I'm from derby
    • Posted

It's hard to not be inpatient hun cause I am now just want to wake up me again so we're u having panic attacks and anxiety 8s that why u went on sertraline
    • Posted

I know I'm lucky but you forget that I start HRT when my next period comes maybe that will help
    • Posted

I'm just starting that 2mths ago and has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse so have come off it
    • Posted

No don't have panic attacks just feel sick and anxious all the time and weepy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.