Severe Cervical pain with arm numbness ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Short introduction.

64 yr old male with long history of Lumber Sponylosis with ongoing stenosis recent prognosis. Sever degeneration,had double fusion of S1 L5 L4 25 years ago.  Now suffering from 24/7 cervical pain,Also have periods of numbness,tingling and sharp electric shock going down Left arm and into fingers in left arm (scary).  Prescribed Gabapentin for arm nerve pain and currently on waiting list for new MRI scan.

Other meds ends for pain are :-

Oxycontin 10g 3 x per day for lumber pain.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi John. I too have lumber spondylosis and cervical spondylosis. I have been refused any surgery as mine would involve too many discs. I have a herniated disc in my neck and also one in my lumber spine. I am on a cocktail of medication and waiting for a refferal to the pain clinic.

I recently put in a claim for PIP and lost my disability payments, so I now don't get any money, and I can't work. I am appealing so hoping to get something back.

I am a 61 year old female, and I now cannot walk without a stick.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Lesley

• Posted

Thx for th reply.

Don't want to pre judge anything before the MRI,but the feelings I'm getting in my neck and arms is how my lumber prognosis first started way back in 1990. I'm worried this May be a disc pushing on nerves now similar to my Lumber Stenosis. Only 5 months ago it was just neck ache after reading,is this progress normal for Cervical desease ?

• Posted

Its absolutely normal. Anything you do that means holding your head slightly forward ie:reading, writing, is no good when you have cs. It causes the nerves to become trapped and pressure on the spinal cord, stenosis. I've had mine since I was 30, so I have had numerous xrays, ct scans snd mri scans.

keep in touch so we can compare with each other John.

• Posted

Will do that for sure. 

Thx again.

• Posted

I agree with Lesley1954, make sure you hold your neck in the 'neutral' position if at all possible.  One way I remembered to do it is by putting my finger on my chin and gently 'pushing' my head back.  Also keep all reading at eye level instead of looking down or up.  Try not to sleep on your side or stomach as that makes things much worse.  Stretch a lot, let your head lie so that your ear touches your shoulder, or as close as you can get without a strain.  Do the same with turning side to side.  These were exercises I was taught in Physical therapy.  Get a massage, it does wonders.  And don't overdo it when you feel good because the pain meds are helping.  Try physical therapy before surgery... once done it cannot be undone.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.