Side effects from BP medication

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All I have been on different by medication over the last 2 years, these have included amlodipine, rampiril, indapamide and losartan. Due to various reasons the doses have changed and I am now on Amlodipine 5mg, indapamide 2.5 mg and Losartan 100 mg (recently increased from 50 mg.

the reason I'm writing is that over the past year or so I have been having really bad joint aches and pains in my hips, knees and feet, so bad that I am having difficulty walking. I am 53 and have put these problems down to getting older blaming arthritis, but I am wondering now if the medication could be to blame? Has anyone else had this season problems please

thanks X

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diane. My guess it's the Amlodipine. I was on it for a few months and had terrible stiffness in my knees, and also pain in my thigh muscles. It's a side effect that's quite low down on the list, but definitely there. Actualy, quite a few BP drugs have that on the list of side effects. I was on Ramipril for a while, but got a troublesome dry cough. I'm now on Candesartan, which seems ok at the moment. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi yes thank you for your reply. I was on Ramipril too but couldn't take because of the cough, Dr put me on Losartan instead 50 mg at first but he recently increased the dose to 100mg are you on a statin too? I'm on Pravastatin I think these can also cause leg pain. Hope you carry on being ok on the Candersartan and thanks for your reply xx

• Posted

Hi Diane. No, I'm not on statins, just the Candesartan. It seems to me that a lot of that type of medicine cause these symptoms. Hope things go ok for you. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Diane,

I think your joint aches and pains in hips, knees, feet and (?) back could be caused by the Losartan. 

There is a lot of user feedback on this medication to be found on other websites and forums.

If you could send me a private message I will let you have the website links.  Unfortunately, the T&Cs of these forums do not permit posting other weblinks, etc.

• Posted

Have you spoken to your doctor about it being side effects of a medication?
    • Posted

Hi Derek no I haven't mentioned it to the GP yet as I've only just thought about the possible link between the pains and the Medes. I just put it down to getting older but I certainly will next time I'm with him. Thanks for your response X
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

When seeing an orthopaedic consultant about hip and joint pains ( I blamed Warfarin and they ceased when I stopped taking it) he said that practically any medication can cause joint pains. Often it is not the medication but the compounds used with it to make them into tablets or capsules that cause the problem.

One poster here spoke to her pharmacist about Losartan and is now prescribed another make with different ingredients and that solved her problem.  I’ve taken Losartan since 2001 with just a few brief changes to ones that did cause side effects before going back to it again.

• Posted

Hi Diane

I had joint pains years ago, which limited my walking but that was medication for a bad toe nail!  its likely that the ramiprill and amlodipine have the most side effects from experience. The indapamide is a de waterer. it looks like your doctor has reduced these and your BP increases. Thus he increases the losarten / candersarten to what looks like a very high level at 100mg daily. I am on 32mg daily with indapamide 2.5 without any joint pains, just occasional twinge in the kidney area.

You must let you doctor  know how bad the joint pains are, I think they are a chemical side effect.

Going onto a diet with a lot of fruit and veg such as coleslaws will help your sense of well being and improve the gut -- I found I was better walker from this.

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your response, I will certainly try the change of diet as you suggest. I haven't mentioned the pains to the GP as I've only just thought of the possible link between the pains and the Medes. Thanks again and I hope you keep well x
  • Posted

Hi Diane: I don't have high BP but I know some people who do.  They had many side effects, anywhere from severe alergic throat swelling to tiredness all the time.  One person was able to get their BP down by walking every day.  The other tried many drugs before finding one that did not cause the side effects.  She also drinks eggplant juice to control her BP.

I would suggest you get into an exercise routine and completely change your diet.  You will not have an enjoyable life while on these drugs. 

• Posted

I have been on pravastatin for 7 weeks and have had random flu-like symptoms..aches, malaise, sharp pain in upper right side, and my doctor thinks it is a pinched nerve.  It is not.  Symptoms started within 5 days of pravastatin.  They have a half-life clearance of 77 hours and it's been reported that symptoms can continue for 8 or so weeks.  I think the side effects report is not accurate... that the placebo reports are exaggerated, the pills reduced... and have now developed a lack of respect for the pill manufacturers.  
  • Posted

Hi Diane, I would guarantee it's the Meds. I have been taking various different types over the past two years and I have never felt as bad as I do now. I have had aching joints, night sweats, bloating and anxiety attacks. Mine was found during a random check and before going on the Meds I felt quite fit. I am now saying enough is enough. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I am coming off all medication. I used to keep fit regular before going on the Meds and I am determined to get back to the gym. Along with this I do realise I have to change my diet too but honestly I'd rather not take the Meds and feel healthy than feel the way I do when I'm on them. Good luck
  • Posted

Amlodipine and Indapamide are both vasodilators. Indapamide is wrongly believed by many GPs and the NICE pathway to be a diuretic. I had similar leg pains (oedema) from the additive effect of being prescribed two vasodilators when I needed a diuretic. Ask your GP to change the Indapamide to 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide and refer him to section 5 of the SPC for 2.5mg Indapamide search for PL 19611/0019 and look at the information on Indapamide on patient.co.uk who have corrected their website to show the correct mode of action of Indapamide
    • Posted

Thank you, I will certainly follow this up
    • Posted

Blood pressure medications should be a wake up call.  You can take the medication, deal with all the side effects or take control and start eating healthier, exercize, 8 hours of sleep.

I would recommend eating eggplant (Baba Ganoush) or boiling it to extract the juice.  Try this for 60 days and then check you blood pressure.  If the numbers are shocking normal then keep it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.