Side effects - switching from Valsartan to Candersartan

Posted , 10 users are following.

My doctor has just switched me from Valsartan to Candersartan as the pharmacy are unable to get any Valsartan. I started the new medication yesterday. Today, I have had a really bad headache all day and I can't remember the last time that I had a headache. I have also had a really bad pain in my neck & across my shoulders. Could this be due to the new medication & will it go away as my body adjusts to the new medication? I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has made this medication switch.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I take Losartan myself having had a switch from Ramipril, due to cough. Not going to be much help to you I'm afraid, but I wouldn't have thought you would have had side effects from Valsartan if you didn't get them from Candersartan. Are headaches and pains in the neck [sorry, I should re-phrase that perhaps !!!] and shoulders a known side effect of Valsartan? Why couldn't the pharmacy get Candesartan anyway? Don't all the 'artans' do more or less the same thing?
  • Posted

I've actually been switched from Valsartan to Candesartan. Apparently, there is a nationwide shortage of Valsartan due to manufacturing problems. I've also just taken my blood pressure 165/85 whereas it is normally around 135/75 in the afternoons. I've been put on the highest dose of Candesartan. Just wondering if maybe it doesn't work for me. It took my previous doctor a long time to get my blood pressure sorted out which was why I was very concerned that I had to change medication. My high blood pressure is due to a kidney condition which runs in the family.
  • Posted

I have been on BP pills for years and have only recently discovered that the substance that causes the headaches, joint and muscle pains and gout is the stuff that binds the pills together - MAGNESIUM STEARATE. I have stopped taking any pills because of this substance. I have just learned that my chemist has found one, in capsule form without it so I will start it on Monday when he has a prescription issued.

Just hope it works.

Norman.

• Posted

I replied to your discussion input of 8 months ago and then found this later input.

CAN YOU LET ME KNOW THE NAME OF THE PILLS THAT YOUR CHEMIST FOUND THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN MAGNESIUM STEARATE PLEASE?

• Posted

Hi, just read your post with interest.   I was on valsartan for years with no problems.   However, because of unavailability I was switched to losartan 6 weeks' ago.     Since then I have been getting debilitating pains in all my muscles, skin sensitivity and flu-like symptoms.      As a keep sportswoman I have found this debillitating so interested that the cause is magnesium stearate (E572) which is in losartan so would be very interested to know if you have found a substitute that doesnt have ms.     Thanks    Linsi
    • Posted

Norman please what is the BP pill without Magnesium Stearate, apart from Actavis brand candesarten, which is they are now no longer supplying.
  • Posted

Due to curremt shortages of Valsartan, switched me to Losartan. since the switch two weeks ago i have been feeling dizzy.
    • Posted

Hi Andy

Just been told that Valsartan is back in the "shops" in my area so switching back.   Not prepared to put up any longer with the terrible pains in my muscles from losartan - surely it cant be good for my blood pressure!  Linsi

• Posted

Thank you Linsi for the good news. I just checked with the pharmacist in my area (North London) and unfortunately Valsartan is still not available here. Andy
  • Posted

I have just been switched from 160mg Valsartan a day to Losartan 50mg a day. I am geting headaches & am wondering if I should be taking two  a day. Can anyone relate to this
    • Posted

Hi Carol

Your doctor has underprescribed.    If you look on a medicines comparison website you will see that the equivalent of 160mg Valsartan is 100mg Losartan.     Linda

• Posted

I think you will find like alot of us, that the problem with the medication is that it contains magnesium stearate, which cause these side effects. I am now looking for a replacement to Candesarten, because now it appears only one company supply it and they use  alot of magnesium stearate in the tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.