Strange symptom

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PMR 4 weeks ago and am taking 15mg prednisone. I got almost total relief. But I developed sinus pain on the left. First I thought is was a tooth; dentist says no. Today I visited an otolaryngologist who examined my sinuses. No problem there. We are wondering if it is PMR related. Tomorrow I visit my rheumatologist. I do normally have post nasal drip from dust allergy. The sinus doc suggested trying steroid nasal spray which helped before. Did anyone else have this symptom?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have GCA there are three years  -  all about vision though.

Yes, on Pred, 10mg now.

You certainly will get thoughts and suggestions from experienced patients here in response of your question.

Wish you get  soon a clear definition from your doctors so you will be put  on the right track and start feeling the results after starting the proper treatment.

All  the very best, Karenjaninaz.

• Posted

It does seem like it is sinus and it can include the jaw and the sinus areas anywhere in face or neck.  You might need to up the Prednisone.  One does not want it to go to eyes, also inflammation of any cranial arteries is not a good thing. Keep it down with the Prednisone
  • Posted

Make certain they evaluate you for CGA. Pain in the cheek area could be that. Especially if there are no other findings.
  • Posted

I've had an especially hard time with allergies turning into sinus infections.  Last time it took 2 round of antibiotics to clear it up.  Now have a cold, again, and am sure it will end up in my sinuses.  Yes, I think it's related to prednisone/PMR.  I've been on it for almost 2 years, too.  Also, have a tooth that xrays okay and tests okay, but it still hurts.  Have been putting off getting a root canal if not necessary, but not sure how long I will hold out.  I'm beginning to think that might be PRM related also.  I would definitely do the nose sprays he suggested; I use occasional saline sprays to help nasal drip.  Welcome to our journey. . .

• Posted

It would be hard for me to tell.....I grew up and live in "FL and have had

sinus and allergy problems most of my life.  The warm winter we are having has stirred it all up.  Things continue to grow and bloom and

when the wind blows I know I'm in for some serious sinus problems.

I've been to a couple of ENT's and they only give me stuff that is

way too strong for me.  I'd have to sleep most of the day.  Since I'm on

blood pressure meds there isn't much I can take to help.  I do use

a sinus wash and that is somewhat helpful....

• Posted

Today examined by rheumatologist. Sees no indication sinus related to PMR. The air here is very old and dry 30% humidity. I suspect that is the proble.

MD lowered pred to 12.5mg. What can I expect with lowering the dose? 

• Posted

Sinus definately related to Giant Cell Arteritis as the inflammation of the arteries can increase a sinus situation. For me it was jaw, neck, around eyes and forhead--scalp tenderness--clusterlike headaches that felt like sinus Extra strength Musinex Sinus medicine does help a great deal.  Good luck  I think the two diseases can go hand in hand at time: PMR and GCA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.