Struggling

Posted , 2 users are following.

GP put me on Sertraline 3+ weeks ago. I ahd been on Citalopram for years and then switched ot Fluoxetine last October which intiially worked well and were great for mood but the anxiety came back and I ahd a knot in my stomach 24/7. I am going to ask to go back on tnhose as Setraline are giving me jaw clenching, paranoia, sensitvity to light, Apathy, feeling shattered when I wake up, congestion in my sinuses, little interest in work, staring into space, oversensitive... It's just not settling  and the thought of straight forward anxietywhich I am "used" to on Fluoxetine sounds a dream at the moment - maybe go back on for a month before trying something else.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are struggling and the sertraline is not delivering any relief.

personallly i didn't begin to experience any positive effects until the 5th week at least.

so you might consider giving it a bit more time.  I know the side effects are devastating - increased anxiety overwhelmed me day and night.  

Good luck with whatever you decided and i hope that your day today is better than it was yesterday.

• Posted

Thanks CG - I will see what the doctor says but your words are encouraging. I know the "worse before it gets better" but this one is a tough one and Ive never had antyhing hit me this hard. Maybe I just need ot give it more time. Did you ahve the jaw clenching? I also had this on Citalopram for 4 years and unbeknown to me it also affected other muscles. I used ot ahve a niggly back in bed which affected my sleep and had about 4 years fo chiropracter fees to sort my back problem - turns out when I stopped Citalopram the backpain stopped. I dont want to continue if the jaw tension stayes wiht Sertraline albeit the back seems okay. Fluoxetine seems to be the lesser of the 2 eveils at the moment. Thanks for your support. smile
    • Posted

i didn't have the jaw clenching but had pressure around my eyes, loss of appetite and the shakes to name a few - looks bad when you list them and at the time it was very difficult.  I am still experiencing ups and downs now in my 6th week @50mg after 3 weeks @25mg.  

actually currently in the midst of a massive panic attack - but i am going to break down and take a Ativan that my dr prescribed for emergencies -  I haven't had to take one in weeks, unfortunately had an anxiety blip last night before bed that lasted all night and with no sleep i am not functioning - have to give my brain/body a rest.

Hope this is just a temporary setback and not something more.  wish me luck.

• Posted

Hope it settles down for you CG - nover really get to that level its just a constant flatness most of the time for me. I was straight onto 50mg. I run my own business but the apathy is making it a little hard to function in that respect. ANy minor issue is blown out of proportion. At least i found wiht the other meds when I hit rock bottom i would come round and start fighting again. I start comfort eating - always been thin so its not a massive deal. Excercise helps massively but outside of a PT session I cant be bothered going running.

I'll revert ot the docs advice on Wednesday - got therapy tomorrow but even that was a chore last week in this state of mind.

• Posted

Decided to revert back to Fluoxetine if the doc will let me. Tried to get in last night as feeling very low - full - today - "probably wont let me have an appoiintment" (it's a joint surgery and the doctor is at the one a few miles from the local). Feel worse on these than I did before any meds! Head mood was good on Fluoxetine but anxeity was a problem but better the devil you know for the short term - at least I "know" my anxiety. Got some holiday weekends coming up and would rather know what I am dealing with when I do. Appt was booked for tomorrow AM so hopefully get back on track - dropped ot 25mg this morning in prep...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.